JMS on CompuServe (Nov 15, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Fri Nov 15 18:33:20 EST 1996

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ##  let local staions and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #610729-#Women's role in SF & B5
    Sb: #610747-#Four Year Arc
    Sb: #610774-SANDMAN & Production
    Sb: #610775-#female vorlons
    Sb: #610795-The Future of Babylon 5
    Sb: #610822-<Apotheosis Hanger>
    Sb: #610834-Old Kosh?
    Sb: #611102-Four Year Arc
    Sb: #611098-John in the Underworld
    Sb: #611084-<<Mr Garibaldi>>
    Sb: #611153-<WEHtMG - wow>
    Sb: #611012-John in the Underworld
    Sb: #611031-#4 or 5?  Be HONEST, jms
    Sb: #611050-4 or 5?  Be HONEST, jms
    Sb: #611197-I need help JMS!
    Sb: #611253-<Vir speculat'n-spoiler>

 #: 610729 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    14-Nov-96  05:10:22
Sb: #610439-#Women's role in SF & B5
Fm: BILL HIRST

>>       "What about women's fantasies?"

       I'm busy.  <<

Joe Straczynski, I have never, ever, seen you diss a fan that way in all the
years I've been online. Gayle deserves an apology.

-Bill

 #: 610885 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    14-Nov-96  12:41:32
Sb: #610729-#Women's role in SF & B5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Bill....IT WAS A JOKE.  Which she took that way.

    14-Nov-96  06:10:07
Sb: #Four Year Arc
Fm: DARRAN WILLIAMS

Joe,

I've just been reading an article in the UK Mag TV Zone which features an
interview with Bruce Boxleitner. In it it states that there will no longer be a
five year arc and that Warner Brothers have insisted that the ongoing narative
strands be tied up at the end of season 4. Is this a prelude to WB cancelling
the show at the end of this season, and if so why are they so interested in a
Babylon 5 spin-off if they have concerns over a fifth year of Babylon 5 ?

Darran Williams...

 #: 610886 S5/Babylon 5: General
    14-Nov-96  12:41:33
Sb: #610747-#Four Year Arc
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       That's the whole point.  That interview was conducted fresh on the heels
of renewal, and we were getting mixed signals from WB (still are, actually),
and different people were telling people different things.  It's subsequent to
that interview -- remember, there's a LOT of lead time on these magazines --
that the ratings began to come in, and WB began initiating talks about a fifth
season, and the sequel.  You don't do a sequel unless the show is doing well.

                                                                       jms

   "Sandman" would be wonderful, but disagrees with others that the
   "Endless" would require CGI. ]

 #: 610887 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    14-Nov-96  12:41:34
Sb: #610774-SANDMAN & Production
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       No, you're right, you couldn't do those characters with CGI, it'd have
to be prosthetics, or cripple the performance aspect.

                                                                       jms

 #: 610888 S5/Babylon 5: General
    14-Nov-96  12:41:35
Sb: #610775-#female vorlons
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Female is an irrelevant concept to the vorlons.

                                                                       jms

 #: 610889 S5/Babylon 5: General
    14-Nov-96  12:41:38
Sb: #610795-The Future of Babylon 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I just answered this in another thread....

    14-Nov-96  10:59:10
Sb: #<Apotheosis Hanger>
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Spoilers for 404 "Falling Toward Apotheosis"

Howdy, Joe;

Just read a synopsis of the promo for 404 that came down this morning.  It ends
with Sheridan out cold on the floor with Delenn holding his head.

I know that these promos are typically *way* off the mark as a guide to an
episode's content, and I certainly don't want you to give anything away as to
the actual content, but considering that we'll have about two months of reruns
after 404, can you possibly just assure me (and many others) that this *isn't*
how you're going to end 404 (i.e. with another cliffhanger)?

I don't think my heart could take it. :-)

Thank you ever so much,

  -- Brent

 #: 610957 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    14-Nov-96  15:11:42
Sb: #610822-<Apotheosis Hanger>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       No, it doesn't exactly end with a cliffhanger.

       It does, however, end on a cliff.

                                                                       jms

 #: 610958 S5/Babylon 5: General
    14-Nov-96  15:11:43
Sb: #610834-Old Kosh?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       No.

                                                                       jms

   a television series in its fifth season or on the WB network. ]

 #: 611219 S5/Babylon 5: General
    14-Nov-96  23:26:55
Sb: #611102-Four Year Arc
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Since your question embodies a complexity of thought I have yet to see
from corporate WB, I very much doubt that will be a problem.  Further, there
are NO plans or intents for the sequel, if it becomes a reality, to go to the
WB network.

                                                                    jms

   going back to ancient Greek myths, this poster says, "For those of us
   who didn't go to Oxford and can't read Greek, Tolkien is a bridge to
   those concepts." ]

 #: 611220 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    14-Nov-96  23:26:57
Sb: #611098-John in the Underworld
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I didn't go to Oxford, and I can't read Greek.  I went to 3 junior
colleges in small towns, and one college, San Diego State University.  And I'm
doing fairly decent with English when I try, but except for a smattering of
German, forget the rest.

      Where you grew up or went to school is no reason not to go out and find
the great wealth of material waiting for you at your local library.

      Nor is there anything wrong with LoTR being a bridge to other works...
provided one actually *drives across* that bridge....

                                                                    jms

   Mr. Garibaldi?" ]

 #: 611221 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    14-Nov-96  23:27:00
Sb: #611084-<<Mr Garibaldi>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, those two are terrific.  You know you can write *anything* for
them, and they can play it.  Just terrific stuff.

                                                                    jms

   doubt that B5 is truly high drama." ]

 #: 611222 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    14-Nov-96  23:27:01
Sb: #611153-<WEHtMG - wow>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, those are the moments when it all has to count.

      Thanks.

                                                                    jms

   thanks JMS for his response and goes on to say she did a lot of her
   reading at the "Asbury Park Public Library." ]

 #: 611346 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    15-Nov-96  11:33:19
Sb: #611012-John in the Underworld
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Asbury Park...I used to hang out at Asbury Park when I was a kid, and
when it was still a fairly decent park.  How is it these days?

                                                                       jms

   year of Babylon 5 tries to use logic to point out that JMS will need to
   either finish it all up in year four or water down year five, as he
   won't know about renewal until the end of this season. ]

 #: 611347 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    15-Nov-96  11:33:20
Sb: #611031-#4 or 5?  Be HONEST, jms
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I've worked out the details for 1,000 years in either direction for the
B5 storyline in general, and in specific for 100 years in either direction;
there's no chance of anything getting watered down no matter what
happens...there's enough story there for several novels.  And WB is currently
very interested in the side-story/sequel series that I've mentioned from the
beginning is a possibility.

                                                                       jms

 #: 611348 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    15-Nov-96  11:33:22
Sb: #611050-4 or 5?  Be HONEST, jms
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       No, that wouldn't really be practical.  If someone wants to *compare* it
with LoTR, a compare and contrast thing, that's something I don't have a
problem with...to be even included in the same breath with LoTR is a great
compliment.  It's the notion that something was *adapted* from that, or some
other work, that sometimes drives me crazy...but I wouldn't wish to set that
forth as a rule...the rules are only as absolutely necessary, not for this sort
of thing.

    15-Nov-96  05:46:43
Sb: #I need help JMS!
Fm: MICHAEL  ZITAGLIO

Joe,

You must understand, I have always been a stable individual.  I am an educated
man, have a great career, a wonderful wife, and a beautiful daughter.  I go to
work everday, come home, eat dinner, play with the baby, and go to sleep.  I
like my routine......... BUT WHEN I HAVE RECURRING DREAMS THAT PAT TALLMAN IS
STARRING IN " ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN" AND SHE IS RUNNING THROUGH THE
STREETS DRESSED IN TATTERS AND DESTROYING BUILDINGS, I START TO GET
WORRIED!!!!!

You remind me of the old Automobile Club of America commercials....."DO YOU
HAVE TO BE THAT GOOD"!!!       B5 IS IN MY HEAD EVERYDAY. MY WIFE LEAVES ME
EMAIL MESSAGES AT WORK..    " THE SHADOWS KNOW MY NAME".    IN ADDITION, I WORK
WITH TOM KNUDSEN ( WHO ISNT TOO STABLE HIMSELF) .  IM GOING NUTS. IM AT THE END
OF MY ROPE!  ARE REPEATS COMING SOON?

i think i need a rest.....or something?

mike
( whats left of him )

 #: 611349 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-Nov-96  11:41:15
Sb: #611197-I need help JMS!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       So basically you're just a shadow of your former self....

                                                                       jms

   one would ever think of him doing is kill someone.  This poster thinks
   he will kill the Emperor instead of G'Kar. ]

 #: 611350 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    15-Nov-96  11:41:16
Sb: #611253-<Vir speculat'n-spoiler>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI