Attn JMS: More Homicide/B5 similarities of technique . . .

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Tue Nov 19 06:11:33 EST 1996

Subject: Attn JMS: More Homicide/B5 similarities of technique . . .
s  1: Nov 16, 1996: Jeffrey Newman <jnewman at astron.Berkeley.EDU>
*  2: Nov 17, 1996: jmsatb5 at aol.com

From: Jeffrey Newman <jnewman at astron.Berkeley.EDU>

Kevin Turner wrote in alt.tv.homicide:

> Loved the 11/15 episode!! Missed the first two minutes, though. Any
> chance that Mr. Henry Bromell wrote it? Or part of it?

  . . . Some misc. comments removed . . .

> I also like the use of narration used from another character and/or
> scene--after that scene is played out--this picture is then cut--but we
> still hear the audio from the previous scene, but it is "spliced" on to
> another scene. (I hope that makes sense.) This technique is used to great
> effect in the last 3 min. in tonight's episode.
>
> Let see NYPD Blue and other not so great series like "Profiler" do that.
> (Sorry, they can't!! Bah-hah!!)

I couldn't help thinking of B5's use of such techniques when reading
this.
It seems that once again two quality shows have found similar narrative
methods
(just as long as you don't try to imitate Homicide's late unlamented
deka-take . . .).

Jeff

HANNAH:  It's all trivial . . . It's wanting to know that makes us
matter.
        Otherwise we're going out the way we came in.

                -Tom Stoppard, "Arcadia"