JMS on CompuServe (Nov 18, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Tue Nov 19 03:03:41 EST 1996

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #612328-4 or 5?  Be HONEST, jms
    Sb: #612355-#<Mr. G? opinion>
    Sb: #612221-#<Mr G. > - God?
    Sb: #612453-Mr. Garibaldi's Days
    Sb: #612342-#Season 4
    Sb: #612462-#Lyta on her own
    Sb: #612512-#B5 episode length
    Sb: #612518-<Mr. G - best congrats>
    Sb: #612569-#B5 episode length
    Sb: #612563-#<Mr. G? opinion>
    Sb: #612659-Attn JMS: Bow Letters
    Sb: #612697-Thirs Age of Mankind
    Sb: #612831-Resolution?
    Sb: #612832-<Mr G. > - God?
    Sb: #612839-Lyta on her own
    Sb: #612851-Season Four
    Sb: #612914-#Pasadena Convention
    Sb: #612934-#<<The Summoning>>

   his bowler to you. He's been a fan for years." ]

 #: 612547 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    17-Nov-96  21:28:40
Sb: #612328-4 or 5?  Be HONEST, jms
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      He always did have excellent taste.

                                                                    jms

   tell that Jason Carter is faking his English accent. ]

 #: 612548 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    17-Nov-96  21:28:42
Sb: #612355-#<Mr. G? opinion>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Tell your step-dad that it's a real accent.

    17-Nov-96  08:48:37
Sb: #<Mr G. > - God?
Fm: NEIL BLEVINS

Don't ask me why, but I've been doing a lot of thinking as to Lorien, and his
place in the universe (or what we know of it so far).

He claims that he is the First One. In the Jewish / Christian tradition, the
lord created heaven and Earth. But Lorien cannot create life (he said so
himself, he can't create life, but he can breath on the dying embers of life).
Therefor, he can't be this lord. And yet he was the 'First One', the one that
came first.

Also, he says the universe was created with a word. But he doesn't know who
said the word, it couldn't have been him, but yet it has to be him since he's
the first one. Or maybe no one said the word, the word just happened, and the
universe, such as evolution teaches us, just happened, and the first product of
this new universe was Lorien.

We all know the Vorlons aren't actual gods, they have just manipulated us so
they would appear as gods (or angels, etc). Lorien might be a god, and yet he
cannot create life. Which makes me wonder if, in this fictional universe
anyway, there are any beings who can truly create life from nothingness.

This episode really did raise some interesting religious questions. I know this
is a very loaded topic, since everyone has their own interpretation of what is
god, but the way in which B5 seems to be trying to answer the question is very
interesting. Hopefully, we'll know more as the episodes roll by. Any thoughts?

- Neil

 #: 612549 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    17-Nov-96  21:28:43
Sb: #612221-#<Mr G. > - God?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The first sentient being.  He ain't god in any sense of the word.  That
he's still puzzling out this "word/thought" business shows that, even after all
this time, he's still trying to suss things out....

    17-Nov-96  18:29:01
Sb: #Mr. Garibaldi's Days
Fm: JOHN GRAVES

Dear JMS,
Several of us have wondered about the apparent discrepency between the time
that Sheridan is "lost" at Z'ha'dum and Mr. Garibaldi's disappearance. In "Our
of the Wolf", Dr. Franklin points out the passge of days. But in "Z'ha'dum" it
appears that both are lost at the same time. Can you clear this up?
Thanks and keep up the good.,..no GREAT...work
John Graves
Arcata,Ca.

 #: 612550 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    17-Nov-96  21:28:45
Sb: #612453-Mr. Garibaldi's Days
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It's a typo, believe it or not, which no one caught.

                                                                    jms

 #: 612342 S7/Babylon 5 in the UK
    17-Nov-96  13:48:46
Sb: #Season 4
Fm: CHRISTOPHER HARRISON

I just read in the latest issue of TV Zone (the one with an interview with
Bruce Boxleitner)  that you have been asked to wrap up the arc by the end of
season four. Is this true?

        Chris Harrison.

 #: 612551 S7/Babylon 5 in the UK
    17-Nov-96  21:28:47
Sb: #612342-#Season 4
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Nothing has been firmed up one way or another.

                                                                    jms

   violation of the Vorlon Ambassador's order to not interfere. ]

 #: 612552 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-Nov-96  21:36:33
Sb: #612462-#Lyta on her own
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, she's starting to rebel a little against Kosh2.

                                                                    jms

   commercials is a few minutes longer than an episode of Babylon 5, minus
   the commercials. ]

 #: 612553 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-Nov-96  21:36:35
Sb: #612512-#B5 episode length
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I think the main difference there is in the main titles and end credits.

                                                                    jms

   director did a good job with the style of the scene with Garibaldi in the
   cell. ]

 #: 612554 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    17-Nov-96  21:36:37
Sb: #612518-<Mr. G - best congrats>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Actually, the Garibaldi intercuts like that were something that I came up
with in the editing room, and John Copeland and I thereafter assembled it, with
the editor.

      And thanks.

                                                                    jms

   in the form of log entries to being new viewers up to speed. ]

 #: 612599 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-Nov-96  23:45:31
Sb: #612569-#B5 episode length
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I figured, since this year was much more serial than in the past, you
kinda *had* to put little recaps at the top...also, it gives it a different,
narrative feel, which I kinda like.

                                                                    jms

   poster asks, "I take it that I'm just imagining some difference with
   Marcus?" ]

 #: 612600 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    17-Nov-96  23:45:33
Sb: #612563-#<Mr. G? opinion>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      We're certainly not aware of any difference, and since there's been
nothing about this on America's Most Wanted, I will have to assume all is well.

    18-Nov-96  07:28:53
Sb: #Attn JMS: Bow Letters
Fm: BERNARD F. DOWDY, J

I've been using a scene from "Severed Dreams" (the Churchill ramming the
Roanoke) as wallpaper for some time now.  I'm curious about the letters on the
destroyers' bows.

What do the "C" on the Churchill and the "M" on the Roanoke stand for? Could
they perhaps represent destroyer squadrons?

Bernie

 #: 612771 S5/Babylon 5: General
    18-Nov-96  13:59:32
Sb: #612659-Attn JMS: Bow Letters
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Probably.  I'll have to go back and check the notes on that.

                                                                       jms

   who have been manipulating us all these centuries, Vorlons and Shadows,
   and we take our place in the galaxy?" ]

 #: 612772 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    18-Nov-96  13:59:32
Sb: #612697-Thirs Age of Mankind
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       We'll have to see, won't we...?

                                                                       jms

   did at the end of his hero's journey. ]

 #: 612942 S5/Babylon 5: General
    18-Nov-96  18:35:09
Sb: #612831-Resolution?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       You have to understand that big plot questions like this I don't answer.
If I were to answer that with "yes," then what's the point of making the show?
There's no surprises left.

    18-Nov-96  16:11:20
Sb: #612549-#<Mr G. > - God?
Fm: SCOTT MILLER

     Re:  Lorien

      The first sentient being.<<

The first... or just the oldest surviving?

Scott

 #: 612943 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    18-Nov-96  18:35:10
Sb: #612832-<Mr G. > - God?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       First, as far as he knows.  To quote from a later episode, "So we left,
and found no others like us."

                                                                       jms

   she carries him around. ]

 #: 612944 S5/Babylon 5: General
    18-Nov-96  18:35:11
Sb: #612839-Lyta on her own
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       She can keep secrets a little...but not if he pushes.

    18-Nov-96  16:41:53
Sb: #Season Four
Fm: RICHARD M. PERRY

<<       I think a year five opening would be just a still, unmoving camera
focused on me, collapsed at my desk.... >>

                Voice over by Peter David:

        "It was the dawn of the fifth season of Babylon 5,  ten years after the
earthman's vision. The Straczynski project was a dream given form, it's goal;
to prevent people from having actual lives, by creating a show so moving that
they forget about everything else. It became a reality away from reality for
actors, writers, fans and executive producers. It can be a dangerous place, but
it's our last best hope for good television. The year is 1997. The name of the
place, is office number 5."
        Credits now run to music and after the credits run, we have a POV shot
of a teddy bear following another along the desk jumping over the puddle of
drool and around the head finnally exiting into the ear. When everything goes
dark flash the line, "created by some poor guy lying collapsed on his desk
known only as Joe."  <G>

May the Light shine forever,
Rich
Moose and Squirrel in 2261

 #: 612945 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    18-Nov-96  18:35:11
Sb: #612851-Season Four
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Ah...Amerikanski humor.

       Very good.

       We bomb now.

    18-Nov-96  18:03:01
Sb: #Pasadena Convention
Fm: JONATHAN KASS

jms,

Just a quick thank-you to you and the many cast members who appeared this past
weekend at the Creation Con... I went with my wife and 6 month old daughter,
never expected to be basically glued to my (non reserve) seat from 11:15 to
7:30 (didn't see the program in advance) - it was really a terrific lineup, and
clearly the organizer who polled the audience on whether they came to see B5 or
ST got the message - there is a goldmine in the B5 following...

Thanx also for staying so late signing stuff... it was a blast to be able to
see you and Peter, Bruce and Mira so "up close and personal"... too bad Andreas
could not stay around, but I understand from a friend that he doesn't do much
autographing (problem with his hand?)...

Jonathan

 #: 612946 S5/Babylon 5: General
    18-Nov-96  18:35:14
Sb: #612914-#Pasadena Convention
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Thanks...I couldn't let folks go without an autograph, and when I saw
they were going to close it down, I had to jump in.

       And that was a *very* nasty gag from Andreas...and I intend to pay him
back bigtime.

       Wait until he sees the script where G'Kar is transformed into a chicken
for one episode.

                                                                       jms

   the preview) going to try to kill the big, mean, nasty Vorlon
   Ambassador?" ]

 #: 612957 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    18-Nov-96  18:43:53
Sb: #612934-#<<The Summoning>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       You'll have to wait 7 days to find out.  But suffice to say things take
quite a turn....

       And thanks.