Attn JMS: Shadow Dancing Director (!Spoilers!)

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Thu Oct 24 06:22:47 EDT 1996

Subject: Attn JMS: Shadow Dancing Director (!Spoilers!)
s  1: Oct 23, 1996: ryoung at interlog.com (Richard Young)
*  2: Oct 24, 1996: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

From: ryoung at interlog.com (Richard Young)

   Having calmed down enough now and watched Shadow Dancing a second time,
I have one question concerning the director and one concerning one great
scene (among many):

   SPOILER JUMPGATE CO-ORDINATES INPUT ... LAUNCHING ... ON MY MARK ... NOW ...
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
JUMPGATE OPENING...TURN BACK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO COME ALONG TO SPOILER 957
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
   PASSENGERS DISEMBARKING FOR SPOILER 957 PLEASE LINE UP HERE FOR SHUTTLE
TO SHADOW DANCING...

   JMS:
   1. Two of my favorite directors are David Eagle and Mike Vejar -- now
you've found another behind-the-scenes star. Can you tell us a little
about Kim Friedman, and, how do you think he/she did in his/her debut on
B5? Friedman was a-okay with me. Invite him/her back anytime. What an
espisode on which to make your debut! (Of course, I'm assuming a little
writerly influence :-) Which leads me to Q2...
   2. Richard Biggs shined as Doc Walkabout, especially in the scenes
where he's "talking to himself". Just how did the director come up with
that and was it two scenes married in the computer room or were we looking
at a very good actor double. The intercuts between POVs were seamless! I
was knocked out by the setting, makeup, and the intensity.
   One extremely minor beef though. Everyone stared at Anna Sheridan as
she walked the station (although we don't know it's her until she enters
Sheridan's quarters). Really, no one should have known her because she'd
"died" before the Captain got to B5. Mind you, she's a very attractive
woman.

Regards,      >If you see something THIS big, with eight legs, coming
Richard Young, >your way. Let me know. I have to KILL it before it
Toronto       >develops language skills." Londo. 'Sic Transit Vir'.

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

You're right; no one should have made a big deal out of her walking past;
that was indicated to the director, but not followed through on.  Kim's
done a lot of other shows, but after this one wasn't available again due
to committments.