ATTN: JMS...your updated Scriptwriting book

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Sun Oct 27 06:48:15 EST 1996

Subject: ATTN: JMS...your updated Scriptwriting book
s  1: Oct 26, 1996: "Bill Downs" <billdowns at aristotle.net>
*  2: Oct 27, 1996: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

From: "Bill Downs" <billdowns at aristotle.net>

Well, Joe...

That sure wuz a purty piece o' writin', boy!!!  :)

Seriously, I got my copy of your new Scriptwriting book Wednesday night and
finished it this afternoon. Absolutely *fascinating*. Talk about a real, no
punches pulled look into how it *really* works! I found it extremely easy
to read and stick with...a nice, smooth flow, written in an easy, friendly,
conversational style. *Great* work, Joe.

Now a (somewhat) related thought, submitted for your consideration:

I'm a radio advertising copywriter and producer. Admittedly, it's not
exactly the same animal, but I think there's still common ground.

Where a TV writer may have 30 or 60 minutes to tell a story (minus
commercials), an advertising copywriter has 30 or 60 seconds! And a
commercial done *right*... (meaning not the hyperbolic, cliche-ridden
(occasionally client-written...blech...) pablum that passes for so much of
local radio advertising) ...a commercial done right *should* tell a
story...dramatic or otherwise...with a beginning, middle and end that keeps
the listener involved and paying attention for that whole minute or
half-minute.

And where a dramatic piece may intend to evoke an emotional response from
the audience, so should a piece of advertising copy...in this case an
emotional response that motivates him in the end to buy or go or read or
whatever action you're trying to bring about...done through an appeal to
the emotions. ("I gotta be cool" or "I'd feel better about my elderly
mother's safety with this.")

Sometimes that means a mini-drama, sometimes simply an announcer painting a
picture in the listener's mind, perhaps with the addition of music and
sound effects to complete the painting.

Whether you're writing for drama or for the purposes of selling something,
the task, in its most basic form, IMHO, is the same. An emotional appeal
through the judicious use of the English language.

Whaddya think? Agree? Disagree? I'd be interested in your opinion about
this.

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

I definitely agree; the well-done 30 or 60 second spot is a true rarity,
and requires just as much attention to detail, the story involved, it has
to move you or touch you at some level...it's a *very* tough business.