ATTN JMS: Bradbury

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Tue Sep 3 06:56:37 EDT 1996

Subject: ATTN JMS: Bradbury
+  1: Aug 30, 1996: s-orso at staff.uiuc.edu (orso steven n)
*  2: Sep  3, 1996: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

From: s-orso at staff.uiuc.edu (orso steven n)

JMS--

wrote:

> If there were a pantheon of influences, I'd put Rod Serling, Harlan
> Ellison, Norman Corwin, Ray Bradbury and HP Lovecraft at the very top of
> the pile.

>  jms

Although I could recall your commenting about most of those writers and/or
their works, I couldn't recall what you had to say about Ray Bradbury.  I
fed the key word "Bradbury" to the "Find" function on the Lurker's Guide,
and sure enough, most of the posts from you that turned up were either
simple mentions of Bradbury as someone who had influenced you (with no
elaboration) or mention of Bradbury as one of the many writers who had been
influenced by Norman Corwin.

So, would you please tell us in greater detail why Bradbury--the man and/or
his works--enjoys so high a place in your personal pantheon?

***** s-orso at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu ****** Every silver lining has a cloud. *****
*********** "Jeepers, creepers, where'd you get those Keepers?" ***********
***************** [Act 2, "War Without End: The Musical"] *****************

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

I think I probably haven't separated out Bradbury's work for special
attention mainly because it's so much "in the air," that it's part of
one's environment, and one doesn't notice it sufficiently to comment on
it.

Bradbury was one of the first SF authors I stumbled across, specifically
"The Martian Chronicles," which just blew my brains across the wall and
splattered them on the library windows.  His use of language, imagery, the
very human details of his work...it astonished me.  Sometimes I hear
Bradbury creeping into my dialogue from time to time...a turn of phrase or
a word choice.

Interestingly enough, if you ask Bradbury who was one of his primary
influences, prehaps the most singular influence, he'll cite Norman Corwin
as well.