ATTN JMS: Captain Power

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Sun Sep 15 06:13:52 EDT 1996

Subject: ATTN JMS: Captain Power
s  1: Sep 15, 1996: kensu at pathcom.com (Chris Schumacher)
*  2: Sep 15, 1996: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

From: kensu at pathcom.com (Chris Schumacher)

A station in my viewing era shows Captain Power every Thursday, so
I've been able to see several of the later episodes.

Like many other people, I like the show, but here is something rather
exceptional. Shows like Power Rangers use footage from a genre of shows
called Sentai in Japan. The Japanese shows are usually intelligent and
actually have a PLOT. They also only last for about 50 episodes, and
they have one plot running throughout the entire series. So, I mentioned
in the alt.tv.sentai newsgroup that since the only intelligent
hack-and-slash sentai show in the US was cancelled. (VR Troopers) And
then I mentioned that since all good foreign shows get cancelled that
perhaps us Americans have to make our own quality programming. I then
mentioned Captain Power as being a good example of something in the
sentai genre. (Which it is, BTW). I got an E-Mail from someone in Japan
who said that CP was shown in Japan several years ago, and he liked it
because, unlike Sentai, the Soldiers Of The Future were fighting for
freedom, not just attempting to take it from the villians.

>From a society where Sentai is a part of their culture, this is a
ringing endorsement! It makes me wonder why Babylon 5 was never picked
up in Japan.

Anyway, the episode they re-ran last week was the one where Captain
Power went into the cyberweb to pick up "Spill over" from Dread troops
who has used that source. I was rather astonished how much it was like
a prototype of "And The Sky Full Of Stars". So, was ATSFOS a reference
to Captain Power? I noticed that the term "Cyberweb" was used in both
shows.

Anyway, Captain Power was great, and Babylon 5 is even better. It's
too bad you're getting out of TV after Babylon 5, the industry could
use you.

				-==Kensu==-
BTW, to anyone who has seen this episode, does anyone know who the
bald man in the cyberweb who said "Nothing is worth this, you know that"
is? Is there an episode guide somewhere?

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

There was a certain amount of teeth-cutting on CP, a chance to try bits
and pieces of an arc, and some techniques we'd later use on B5.  It
weren't a bad show, all things considered....