ATTN JMS: How's Your Sanity? ;-)

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Mon Sep 23 06:13:25 EDT 1996

Subject: ATTN JMS: How's Your Sanity? ;-)
s  1: Sep 22, 1996: Laura Gillenwater <tworks19 at pop3.nfi.com>
*  2: Sep 23, 1996: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

From: Laura Gillenwater <tworks19 at pop3.nfi.com>

I was reading an article in the September issue of Health magazine that I
thought might interest you...

Apparently, some psychiatrist in England wanted to find out if Lord
Byron's assertion that "All poets are mad" was an accurate one. So he
read lots of biographies of 100 famous male writers and looked for signs
of mental problems (such as delusions, schizophrenia, etc.). Then he
divided the writers up by discipline: poets, novelists, and playwrights,
and compared the groups for mental stability. What he found was that
poets were actually the most mentally stable of the three groups. He had
thought that poetery, being "more removed from reality than novels and
plays, would also make the poet feel more disconnected from his or her
own life." What he found, however, was that, when compared to the general
population, all the writers were more "twisted" than the general
population but that novelists and playwrights were even more so than
poets. To quote the psyciatrist (whose name is Felix Post):

"A poet is expressing his own feelings toward his beloved or toward
nature, but a novelist or playwright has to make up other people, their
joys and tragedies, and you cannot do that without a tremendous empathy
that is painful and disturbing."

He also points out that, as Dickens's heroines died on the page, their
creator often wept over his pen. (Btw - did any tears land on the
keyboard for Kosh?)

One last interesting note - he found that two-thirds of the playwrights
(and over half of the novelists) experienced rocky relationships (so I
guess you're in good company there).

Anyway, thought you might find this interesting. Do you think his
conclusions are reasonable?

Laura

P.S. Can't wait for the new eps to begin - thanks for the great ride so
far!