JMS on CompuServe (Sep 30, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Mon Sep 30 14:45:54 EDT 1996

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/

    Sb: #584384-Perks of the FanClub
    Sb: #584447-#Perks of the FanClub
    Sb: #584423-B5 Calendars
    Sb: #584591-#B5 Tapes
    Sb: #584596-#USENET SFWA post
    Sb: #584464-The man in-between ?
    Sb: #584744-Ivanova and the Raven
    Sb: #584764-NEW SIMM GROUP FOR B5
    Sb: B5 T-Shirts
    Sb: #584890-#Drink to Me Only...

 #: 584684 S5/Babylon 5: General
    29-Sep-96  15:44:50
Sb: #584384-Perks of the FanClub
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, you need Netscape 2.0 (or compatible) to get past the demos screen.

    29-Sep-96  07:11:29
Sb: #583784-#Perks of the FanClub
Fm: ALAN L. RAVITCH

Joe.....

I'm writing as promised after a suitable period.

I joined the club this spring.

Received nothing.

Emailed the contact person you suggested - got the UT.

Still Haven't received anything else.

Next move is?

Sorry to bug you about this.

:-) Alan

:-)  Alan

RAdm. Alan L. Ravitch,  Internet:alanr at pcnet.com CIS:73627,3126 AOL:AlanR1778
     President/Commanding Officer, USS Nautilus NCC-1778 Hartford, CT
     A STAR TREK(R), BABYLON 5(tm) & Science Fiction Fan Organization
     InfoLine: (860) 635-TREK  WWW: http://www.pcnet.com/~alanr/ncc-1778.html
----------     THE FEDERATION - A STAR TREK(R) FAN ASSOCIATION     ----------
Coordinator, Omega Sector-New England  http://www.pcnet.com/~alanr/omega.html
Internet Coordinator/Online Rep      http://www.pcnet.com/~alanr/the-fed.html

 #: 584685 S5/Babylon 5: General
    29-Sep-96  15:44:51
Sb: #584447-#Perks of the FanClub
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Next move is, I go to Jim and ask where your stuff is.

    29-Sep-96  06:42:39
Sb: #B5 Calendars
Fm: MICHAEL  ZITAGLIO

Hi Joe,

I logged in to babylon5.com site and saw some calendars for October and
November.  The former was with Lyta the latter Marcus.  They were @#*^@#
fantastic!!!   I know you dont want a big franchise with B5 right now, but what
would be the problem with releasing a B5 calendar. It would sell like hotcakes!
Wating till after the series is a little anticlimatic and not as fun.
        In addition,  I am looking forward to meeting Bruce Boxleitner at
Starcon in Atlantic City in December.  I have always wanted to give Jerry Doyle
some of my family's recipes for gravy, pitzels, cheescake..etc.  However, my
chances of seeing Mr Doyle are few and far between.  Do you think it would be
bad etiquete to ask Bruce if he could pass them along?  Thought Id ask you
first. Didint want to insult him.

Mike

 #: 584686 S5/Babylon 5: General
    29-Sep-96  15:44:53
Sb: #584423-B5 Calendars
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, they're great; a UK company is doing a B5 calendar for 1997, which
should be out shortly.

      Generally one does not give cast member A a parcel for cast member B;
mainly because it's never just one person who wants to do this, and you can end
up with 15-50 items to bring back with you.

    29-Sep-96  12:28:46
Sb: #583328-#B5 Tapes
Fm: CHRIS CROUGHTON (UK)

>        It just ain't gonna move WB to release the tapes; we're
> negotiating to do them ourselves. WB Home Video almost never releases TV
> series, mainly movies.

Except that they *have* released the tapes in the UK, which isn't exactly a big
market compared to America.  Weird or what?

Chris

 #: 584687 S5/Babylon 5: General
    29-Sep-96  15:44:57
Sb: #584591-#B5 Tapes
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      There's always been more of a sell-through market in the UK on tapes, so
that helps.  But the bottom-line problem is that WB Video mainly only handles
guaranteed big sale stuff like their movies.  You very rarely see ANY tv show
sold on cassette from WB Home Video.  I rather suspect they think TeeVee is
beneath their notice.  We may call in Jimmy Carter to see if he can work out a
release of the hostages.

                                                                    jms

   the SFWA, but disagrees about John Norman not being eligible for a Nebula
   and is confused about JMS' implication that the SFWA promotes better
   selling authors over the lesser selling ones. ]

 #: 584688 S5/Babylon 5: General
    29-Sep-96  15:44:58
Sb: #584596-#USENET SFWA post
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Organizationally, no, SFWA doesn't make a big deal about who sold what
copies, but it *is* a point of status within SFWA -- selling authors tend to
get more attention than non-selling authors, that's understandable -- and
within the greater SF establishment.

      And yes, Norman could win a Nebula...I only used the word "theoretically"
to indicate that his work does fall within the correct parameters (prose, SF,
book form) to be nominated, but that the odds of such a book winning would be
slim at best unless the books made a HUGE change in direction.

                                                                    jms

   that the image of Garibaldi said "the man in the middle" in Sheridan's
   Kosh-induced dream.  It was actually "the man in between." ]

 #: 584692 S7/Babylon 5 in the UK
    29-Sep-96  15:45:09
Sb: #584464-The man in-between ?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yep.  I checked.  I screwed up in my comment.

                                                                    jms

   the creatures in "Exogenesis."  Also, wonders if Ivanova's comments in
   Sheridan's dream mean that she has an implanted personality ala Talia. ]

 #: 584879 S7/Babylon 5 in the UK
    29-Sep-96  21:40:44
Sb: #584744-Ivanova and the Raven
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, the critter wasn't anything to do with the Exogenesis creatures; and
no, Ivanvoa does not have an implanted personality.

                                                                    jms

 #: 584880 S5/Babylon 5: General
    29-Sep-96  21:44:14
Sb: #584764-NEW SIMM GROUP FOR B5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Be advised that your simm is, insofar as I know, unlicensed and
unauthorized, and be further advised that WB has shut down other such
unlicensed and unapproved simms.

    30-Sep-96  00:58:28
Sb: B5 T-Shirts
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      As well as going on about unlicensed B5 products, a number of folks have
been asking for info on what IS authorized.  Hence, this note....

      One of the most popular items here at the B5 stage are the t-shirts made
by All-U.  They're color, on black, but done so in a way that the ink and
coloration isn't thick, but feels very natural with the fabric.  They look
great and wear well over time.  (They are also the only ones making
*long-sleeve* B5 t-shirts.)  We order about 3-4 cases at the start of each
season, and by Christmas they're all gone.  The crew loves 'em, and many of the
cast also wear them.

      Anyway, if you'd like more info, you can order the shirts from All-U at
1-800-424-ALLU.

    29-Sep-96  22:07:04
Sb: #Drink to Me Only...
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

jms-

Being able to rewatch TCos again made me be aware of a pattern I had not
noticed before -- Londo and drinking goblets.

In TCoS there are two scenes involving Londo and drinking goblets, both of
which, when viewed with the glittering crystal of hindsight, are eerily
ominous.

When the exuberant G'Kar buy Londo a drink, it turns out to be a painful
counterpoint to G'Kar's bursting in on Londo in "Dust.." and again, the
relinquishing of the goblet in "WWE2."

And when Londo and Lord Refa discuss the future over drinks in TCoS, it is
eerily reflected in Londo's poisoning Refa's drink later on.

And all of the scenes turn out to be a bitterly ironic reflection of the
Sangreal, whether you intended it or not.

It's this kind of pattern hunting that probably has meant the rising ratings of
B5 during reruns in stark contrast to most TV shows.  As stunning as TCoS was
taken on its own merits, the extra dimension of the "Signs and Portents" within
it make it even more compelling.

-rje-

 #: 584959 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-Sep-96  00:58:31
Sb: #584890-#Drink to Me Only...
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I can only conclude that I'm a smarter guy than I'd thought....