attn jms : autograph queues

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Fri Apr 11 06:11:37 EDT 1997

From: Penny Roberts <pmr at bodley.ox.ac.uk>
Date: 9 Apr 1997 15:03:54 -0400

Greetings from the City of Dreaming Spires (and Aspiring Dreams),
	I've read several comments that you have made about
autographs and (like all fans) I've been impressed by the sense of
responsibility and loyalty that you feel towards your public. It is
an attitude which many other stars could do to develop.  It
certainly seems to have rubbed off on cast members too.
	I have stood in autograph queues  and hung around outside
stage doors .... but in fact the autograph is just the means to an
end in many ways ... the signature is just the excuse to say "hello"
to someone I admire.	  So this is the question .... would it be
any quicker or easier, from the signers point of view, if the person
in the queue just stuck out a hand, said "Hi, nice to meet you" and
then went away? Or maybe then you would end up with wrist-ache from
shaking all those hands and it would take too long 'cos' you would
feel obliged to say more to someone who didn't get an autograph.
Would it be more satisfying (for you)because you would get to see
more of the fans themselves rather than just the thing shoved in
front of you for signing?
	Could this be the start of something new ... more headaches
for organisers ... the handshake only queue! :-)

My thanks to you, the cast and crew -  for everything
Penny
Oxford

PS I don't read  the newsgroup only the digest so please could any
replies to this be copied to pmr at bodley.ox.ac.uk. Thanks