Attn JMS: Ted Turner, WB and what if God was one of us.

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Fri Apr 11 06:06:36 EDT 1997

From: brian.handel at octel.com
Date: 10 Apr 1997 02:09:18 -0400

     Saw an article in the Wall Street Journal on Ted Turner's
     impact on Warner Brothers. He was having a hard time
     understanding why WB was giving its products to to the major
     networks. also he didn't seem so enamoured with WB's own
     network. You have mentioned that slots for syndicated series
     are tight and high in demand. PTEN was brought about because
     independent tv stations needed programming. UPN and WB are
     brought into existence(basically because Fox showed it could
     take on the 3 major networks), therefore negating the need
     for PTEN(?). PTEN to the best of my knowledge only had two
     shows, B5 and Kung-Fu. My question to you is looking back
     from this point would you have(I know hindsight thinks it is
     20-20) committed yourself to an agreement that precluded
     cable from doing first run viewing of your show? Doesn;t
     cable in some sense, especially Ted Turner's cable outlets
     TBS and TNT,  provide more opportunities for new shows. B5
     Movies are being made for Turner network. USA has the La
     Femme Nikita series. You have demonstrated that shows could
     with awesome effects could be made under budget(not to
     mention being one of the best television series ever made).
     I am sure in the 5 plus years of trying to get B5 made in
     the first place that PTEN was the best choice that you had.
     I can't help but feel that the market has changed, different
     venues for new shows are now available and that somebody
     will want more shows like B5 to be produced. There is a lot
     of bad tv on the air but the good stuff has been really
     good. the Simpsons still do great if not better stuff then
     when first in existence and Homicide is good stuff and the
     Larry Sanders show is one of the best shows ever made in the
     history of TV(Rip Torn is awesome). btw any thoughts on
     where you think tv is going. saw your blurb in Tv guide on
     religion. I think your show treats religion with
     intelligence and respect. I know I am rambling but after
     seeing the WSJ article on Ted Turner and all the posts on
     B5's renewal status and PTEN, I wanted to get your take on
     the current state of television. thanks and take care!