JMS on CompuServe (Apr 17, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Fri Apr 18 02:59:05 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #663069-New episodes??
    Sb: #663172-"Illusions of Truth"
    Sb: #663307-Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
    Sb: #663308-Does all Earth use EST?

 #: 663150 S5/Babylon 5: General
    16-Apr-97  23:03:18
Sb: #663069-New episodes??
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, I don't believe it is.

    17-Apr-97  07:34:40
Sb: #"Illusions of Truth"
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

>> I am definitely *not* anti-reporter...I'm against the *control* of truth by
any government or political agenda.

One question this brings to mind, why do we never see anything but ISN? The
trend in our society is toward the diffusion of news and talk into hundreds are
even thousands of smaller, lower budget, often syndicated shows. ABC, NBC CBS,
and CNN are all losing market (though they still fight for a share of that
diminishing market).

The whole concept of the net is diffused information, I simply do a topic
search every time I want information or news.

ISN appears to be monolithic. The government seizes ISN and they control the
news. Your story is less realistic if this is not the case, EarthGov now being
essentially the Nazi Party minus the race hatred (except for aliens, but
EarthGov can safely hold them up as enemies without organizing death camps).

How did ISN get a stranglehold on the news, and if it didn't, then there are
likely millions of potential news outlets accessible to everyone, how does
Clark keep them under control?

I can think of a couple of senarios, but they all start with EarthGove being a
facist state (though less obviously) to begin with.

Phil^^^^
FREE MARS!

 #: 663217 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    17-Apr-97  12:45:22
Sb: #663172-"Illusions of Truth"
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       ISN is the one network that can handle *interstellar* broadcasts, which
reqire a massive amount of energy, logistics, setup...there are other, local,
planetary networks around Earth, and a few specialized channels for military
and some commercial use...but ISN is the biggest, and because of that is very
much in Earthgov's pocket.

    17-Apr-97  20:36:08
Sb: #Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Fm: JEAN S MCKNIGHT

I wrote "even with plenty of duct tape to stabilize the whole set-up the
meowing is just too distracting. . ."

You know, I'd have bet good money that you'd have answered this by recommending
that  I try a hot glue gun instead. . .

                                        Jean McKnight

 #: 663336 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-Apr-97  22:53:05
Sb: #663307-Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, I just figured that sooner or later you'd stumble onto the staple gun
solution like the rest of us.

                                                                    jms

 #: 663337 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-Apr-97  22:53:08
Sb: #663308-Does all Earth use EST?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, EST is mainly for the seat of government, to which most military
outposts are synchronized.