JMS on CompuServe (Apr 27, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Sun Apr 27 21:21:58 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #664964->>Racing Mars<< worries
    Sb: #665005-Hugo Ballot Announced!
    Sb: #665007-Gerrold's conclusion
    Sb: #665067-GARIBALDI
    Sb: #665071->>Racing Mars<< worries
    Sb: #665180->>Racing Mars<< worries
    Sb: #665100-sfVortex Appearance
    Sb: #665131-<Racing Mars>/Dead Heat

 #: 664964 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    26-Apr-97  12:41:07
Sb: #664788-#>>Racing Mars<< worries
Fm: SYSOP DUPA T PARROT

Chicago's WPWR was broadcasting a funky signal as if their VTR was flaky or
else the downlink was being interfered with. Did I hear the line "He's not the
Pope, he doesn't even look like HER!"?

Also: I missed the words that a very perplexed Lennier used in the transport
tube to Sheridan. It sounded like "woo woo" or "Yoo Hoo" or "Yahoo" <g>.

 -SysOp Dupa T. Parrot, Technical Consultant
 dupa at compuserve.com    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dupa
 OzWin 2.12.2 O-

 #: 665062 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    26-Apr-97  23:42:31
Sb: #664964->>Racing Mars<< worries
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, you heard the "her" line.  Got a fair amount of flack for that one,
btw.

      And it's Woo Hoo.

      If Yahoo wants a reference they should call me....

    26-Apr-97  16:51:23
Sb: #664987-#Hugo Ballot Announced!
Fm: DAVID GERROLD

*sigh*

The point is that the Hugo was established as a writing award.  While the
director and the producer and the art department and the actors and everybody
else are all very important to the final product, the Hugo has always been
recognized as an award for writers (except where it's for artists or editors.)

Were it not writing award, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

 #: 665063 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-Apr-97  23:59:27
Sb: #665005-Hugo Ballot Announced!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Too bad no one's considered the idea that the Hugo here could be viewed
in another way.  That is...the DS9 episode was really a tribute to the original
"Tribbles" episode.  That was the whole reason they *did* it, and the plot ties
directly into that original episode.  If you take away the original "Tribbles"
script...there's nothing *there*.  They just weave in and out of your story.

      So if the DS9 episode is a tribute to your episode, then why couldn't the
Hugo be given *to the original episode*?  After all, it was good enough for DS9
to pay tribute to, and in essence, simply repackage it...why not follow in
their footsteps and their intention?

    26-Apr-97  16:51:26
Sb: #664963-#Gerrold's conclusion
Fm: DAVID GERROLD

Oh yeah, sure -- asking Resnick about my integrity is like asking Heidi Fleiss
about chastity.

 #: 665064 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-Apr-97  23:59:31
Sb: #665007-Gerrold's conclusion
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"...asking Resnick about my integrity is like asking Heidi Fleiss about
chastity."

      And not nearly as funny as asking Heidi Fleiss about Resnick....

                                                                    jms

   will leave the show. ]

 #: 665068 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    27-Apr-97  01:27:42
Sb: #665067-GARIBALDI
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The character remains on the show.

    27-Apr-97  04:25:54
Sb: #665062-#>>Racing Mars<< worries
Fm: SUSAN F. KIRN

Joe,
  Finally got to see Racing Mars.  (We are among the Last To Know Club here in
Philly)
  Super episode from start to finish and I especially enjoyed the dialogue
between Marcus and Franklin during their trip and on Mars.  These two actors
have great comedic timing.
   It was also nice to see the actress who played Number One.  I remember her
from the short-lived Space Rangers and I thought she was quite good then too
and had wondered what happened to her.
   Thanks again for a wonderful hour of entertainment!

  - Susan

 #: 665211 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    27-Apr-97  15:26:44
Sb: #665071->>Racing Mars<< worries
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...it's the ep that starts ramping things up again.

                                                                    jms

 #: 665212 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    27-Apr-97  15:26:47
Sb: #665180->>Racing Mars<< worries
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Suffice to say some have taken it *very* personally and have sent some me
fairly abusive email.  But that's showbidness.

                                                                    jms

   fill us in on the line about Garibaldi leaving the station for good. ]

 #: 665213 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    27-Apr-97  15:26:48
Sb: #665100-sfVortex Appearance
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks....

      And I'll fill you in on the Garibaldi line.

      In the show.

    27-Apr-97  10:17:17
Sb: #<Racing Mars>/Dead Heat
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

Who is racing Mars?  Minerva, for certain, and Venus, as Wisdom and Love must
race War for the attention of the characters.  Mercury's been hobbled somewhat
in the limitations of ISN.

RM was unsettling (as a chapter of B5, it should be anything else?) as a
Jack-in-the-box which opens to reveal a Shadow-spawn. There appeared to be a
lot of playground games going on, as cued by the "I Spy" game en route to Mars
and the Lyta/Vorlon nursery rhyme pass-phrase -- which is *not* to say RM was
trivial, since on B5 water-balloons can contain tears or blood, and the
consequences of being tagged "It" are dire, indeed.

Ivanova's gotten her bounce back (at least for the moment) -- she leads
Sheridan in a game of "Simon Says."

The Mars resistance is playing "Hide and Seek" for keeps.

Sheridan and Garibaldi and playing the version of "Chicken" in which the
participants toss knives between each others' feet.  Their encounters, in
particular, ran sandpaper between the edges of the game and the real -- I was
never sure how much (if any)of their highly-public arguments were staged to
smoke anti-Alliance forces out of hiding.

Marcus jumps enthusiastically into "Let's Pretend," and the Mars colonists have
been on the receiving end of "Telephone."

There are several rounds of "Red Rover" -- Ivanova and the smugglers, Garibaldi
and whoever they are, and Marcus/Stephen with the Mars colonists.

Even Delenn is playful, wanting to play "Doctor." <g>

And it appears that Garibaldi's been tagged "It."  I have a feeling it will be
a long time before "Alley-Alley-Oxen-Free" is called, and when home base is
reached -- it will likely be unrecognizable.

-rje-

To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else.  -- Emily
Dickinson

 #: 665214 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    27-Apr-97  15:26:50
Sb: #665131-<Racing Mars>/Dead Heat
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Sounds like you've got a Monopoly on the subtext here.