Updated and New Lists

zofran at deepthot.cary.nc.us zofran at deepthot.cary.nc.us
Sat Aug 9 00:41:30 EDT 1997

    [The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set]

After a whopping week on-line, I have updated by Science fiction pages.

The can be reached at:

Date: Sat, 09 Aug 1997 02:56:20 -0700
To: b5mod-moderate at deepthot.cary.nc.us
Subject: Straczynski-isms
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
Orig-From: Scott Advani <sadvani at direct.ca>
From: zofran at deepthot.cary.nc.us
Parts/attachments:
   1 Shown   44 lines  Text
   2   OK    14 lines  Text, "Card for Scott Advani"

I want to propose a new addition to the English language:

Straczynskiism: a brief, defining dialogue that is generously written,
and revealing of character.

While this type of writing is likely not exclusive to our own 'jms', it
is something we have seen extremely often in Babylon 5, much to our
satisfaction.

Take, for example, the conversation between Garibaldi and Franklin in
Downbelow when they were looking for Dr. Roberts, from Earth.  They
discussed the future, and how disappointing it was.  "Some assembly
required."  Or, the discussion between Garibaldi and Sinclair,
concerning "Fasten or Zip".  The confrontation between Vir and G'Kar in
the tube, with G'Kar cutting his hand and repeating "dead... dead...
dead..." in time with the drops of blood.  Or, between Vir and Ivanova,
concerning his engagement with Lyndysty, concerning sexual relations.
Or, between Ivanova and Sheridan, when she confessed being a telepath to

him.  Or, between Ivanova and Lorien, and how she and her heart don't
talk anymore.

Each of these little dialogues reveals truth in two ways, and operates
on more than one level.  Each one reveals another facet of the
character, a glimpse of them being vulnerable in a way that they aren't
with just anyone, or even, necessarily, with themselves.  At the same
time, Straczynski is making a comment on something: the future,
relationships, the way we live, the decisions we make.  With each one of

these little dialogues, he underscores some aspect of the human
condition through these characters.

He does this so often, nearly every episode.  They are generous scenes,
allowing an actor to reveal his or her ability, and allowing them to
explore there character.  Its a real rarity, too.  I rarely see this
style of writing elsewhere, and done with the layers as finely crafted
and subtle as he does them.

Usually it leans too far one way - either too much into the character,
and they're just saying something obvious, or too much into the
preaching, and it's inconsistent with the character (we know _we_ are
being spoken to).  It's one of the real pleasures of watching this show.

 -
  [Part 2, "Card for Scott Advani"  Text/X-VCARD  14 lines]
  [Not Shown. Use the "V" command to view or save this part]