Claudia's Comments in TV Guide

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Sat Aug 16 06:47:24 EDT 1997

From: Jeff Howell <jeff at howell.mv.com>
Date: 15 Aug 1997 08:18:47 -0400

    [The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set]

I apologize if this has been stated before.

In this weeks TV Guide (Aug. 16-22) page 4 Claudia Christian says "I
needed time off for a movie. I make less than the men in our show. I^Òm
the female lead, and I think I deserved this concession. The whole thing
has left a pretty bad taste in my mouth."

My feelings & questions on the above:

I don't quite understand where this comment came from. This "fact" was
not mentioned in her letter she posted on the Internet, and I have not
heard anything about this until now. I don't understand how, if this is
true, that she would have access to the other actor's salaries. I also
find the term "lead" female character rather relative. If you added up
all the screen time, I think Delenn may have more on-screen time, making
her the "lead" female, if that matters at all.

It seems that in the past Claudia has been shown to be in error where
the truth is involved, by the fact that the two posts about what
happened when Claudia left conflict and all the other cast members back
Joe up. So, since she has been caught in a lie before, this sounds to me
like a desperate attempt to salvage some support by making accusations
that she is somehow a lower paid employee because of her sex. I have
only seen evidence that Joe tries to include all races, sexes, and be
fair to everyone. Although this may be out of Joe's jurisdiction, and I
will try to keep an open mind until I hear something more substantial
that a few lines in a TV Guide .

So my specific questions to JMS would be; Have you heard this complaint
before from Claudia? What are your feelings on this public accusation of
sexism at Babylonian Productions? And is this financial accusation true?
 I am not asking what the cast's salaries are, only it is seems like it
would be pretty easy to shot down if it is false just by the numbers in
front of you.

One positive thing, it is a very nice picture of Claudia in the TV
Guide.

Thanks for listening. I don't want to stir anything up, I am just
looking for some calm, sane, information pertaining to this latest
development.

Sincerely, Jeff Howell