JMS on CompuServe (Dec 12, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Fri Dec 12 21:25:32 EST 1997

    Sb: #9307-B5 Link comm device
    Sb: #9299-Rumors
    Sb: #9286-#ll
    Sb: #9296-Marshall Teague returns?
    Sb: #9507-#Great Maker Photo
    Sb: #9526-<Superlatives fail me..>
    Sb: #9329-Books, Music & ???

 #: 9307 S2/Bab 5: General
    09-Dec-97  19:13:02
Sb: #9212-#B5 Link comm device
Fm: TOM KNUDSEN

Joe,

	<Yeah, same watch on all counts, it's the Hamilton Ventura.>

	Thanks.  I thought so.  I DO have to tell you I think that's the
coolest looking watch I've ever seen.  You don't happen to know if they still
sell them, do you?

						Tom^^^^

 #: 9323 S2/Bab 5: General
    09-Dec-97  23:04:09
Sb: #9307-B5 Link comm device
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, they still sell 'em.  Interesting history...the Hamilton Ventura
was the first electric watch produced.  When the art deco case went out of
fashion (as if art deco *ever* goes out of fashion), they discontinued it. As
I understand it, and this is only based on what I've been told, I have no
first-hand knowledge here, back a few years ago, when I bought mine, they had
found some of the original parts and pieces and casings and released a small
number of them.  They were all snapped up, and Hamilton decided it might be a
good idea to release them for real in a newly manufactured line.

                                                                    jms

   area for TNT's most recent TV Movie, "Buffalo Soldiers." ]

 #: 9324 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    09-Dec-97  23:04:09
Sb: #9299-Rumors
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, they also plan on bus posters, billboards, subway posters, you
name it.

                                                                    jms

 #: 9325 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    09-Dec-97  23:04:10
Sb: #9286-#ll
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"So, can we do a JMS and Harlan in 2000 for the white house? <just kidding>"

      If nominated I will not run, if elected I will not serve, if impeached I
will burn the tapes, write a book, build a library and become an elder
statesman.

                                                                    jms

   an episode.  Asks if it's true that Ta'Lon will be back. ]

 #: 9326 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    09-Dec-97  23:04:10
Sb: #9296-Marshall Teague returns?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Is that true, is Ta'Lon making another appearance?"

      Yup.

                                                                    jms

 #: 9507 S2/Bab 5: General
    12-Dec-97  06:06:00
Sb: Great Maker Photo
Fm: ANNE L. WARNER

Joe,

<sound of stifled giggles>

Does Andrew Porter have a time machine?

Have you seen the photo of yourself on page 15 of the November Science Fiction
Chronicle?

The publishing item includes stuff about the book series for B5 and also
mentions that you and Kathryn have sold a piece you're writing together(?).  I
vaguely half-recognize the title "Night Gallery."  What's that about?

Anne

 #: 9537 S2/Bab 5: General
    12-Dec-97  13:13:11
Sb: #9507-#Great Maker Photo
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, I haven't seen it yet.  Will look it up.  On the other project, not
much to say until paperwork comes.

                                                                    jms

 #: 9526 S2/Bab 5: General
    12-Dec-97  08:47:05
Sb: <Superlatives fail me..>
Fm: NEVILLE WHITE

Joe,

I've been off Compuserve for quite some time now, but I found an account that
I could use to write a short note. We have just seen the penultimate episode
of year4 in the UK, and I wanted to say that I am very, very impressed by the
whole way that this story has been panning out.

I'm particularly "pleased" with Marcus. I'm really sad to see him die, but the
character was so true to himself. Normally we only see the English as villains
nowadays (I suppose they are juicier roles, I don't know!) so it is a great
change to see one as a self-sacrificing hero. The whole setting was so much
more poignant because of the episode back in year 3 where he explained that he
had always -not- been there for the ones he loved - his brother, and in that
episode he had left Delenn (who was kidnapped by the nightwatch). Now at last
he had his redemption. I also thought that Claudia's acting was superb, I was
really moved by it. The lingering sadness is that we now won't be able to see
what effect this action of Marcus' would have had on her character - I don't
doubt that it would have been a significant factor in her development over the
fifth year if she had continued with the show.

Would you care to share any pointers about what might have happened to the
character Ivanova in the future? I really would like to know (for Marcus'
sake!)

Of course, on top of all this was the storming of Mars and Earth, the
political realities and aftermath of what happened and all of that. The space
CGI was getting better and better, some of it incredibly realistic. Last
nights episode was a wonderful tie-up of many loose ends, with a degree of
fulfilment for Garibaldi, Delenn, Sheriden, Londo and others (only Ivanova
seemed to lose out - probably appealing to her Russian sense of irony).

There is,  of course, one downside...almost all other shows (and films) seem
shallow and weak in comparison! Still, that's a small price to pay, I guess.

Congratulations, and a big, big thanks from across the pond.

Regards,
Neville White

 #: 9538 S2/Bab 5: General
    12-Dec-97  13:13:12
Sb: #9526-<Superlatives fail me..>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...as for what Claudia would've been doing this season, some bits
of that have been sliced off and put into other characters, so I can't comment
until it hits the air.

      And thanks again...it's a good end for the season.

                                                                    jms

   suggests "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe." ]

 #: 9536 S20/The Zocalo
    12-Dec-97  12:55:14
Sb: #9329-Books, Music & ???
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      That's an okay one to start with...I'd also suggest the Hobbit, and if
you can find it the Mad Scientists Club and A Wrinkle in Time.