JMS on CompuServe (Feb 11, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Tue Feb 11 19:52:41 EST 1997

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: <<Into The Fire>>
    Sb: #647395-Scotty Fired
    Sb: #647273-B5 Video & LDs in the US
    Sb: #647423-<<Into The Fire>>
    Sb: #647485->>Epiphanies<<
    Sb: #647437-<<ITF>>  Frying Pan...
    Sb: #647203-<ITF-Preview within ep>
    Sb: #647397-<<Epiphanies>>
    Sb: #647399-<407: Afflatus?>
    Sb: #647492-ITF: Questions...
    Sb: #647514-<Into the Fire>
    Sb: #647528->>Epiphanies<<
    Sb: #647539-Midwest JMS
    Sb: #647626-The big pic (itf etc)

 #: 647502 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    10-Feb-97  22:14:39
Sb: <<Into The Fire>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

[Reply to message #647046, which is no longer available]

      Thanks, I appreciate it.

                                                                    jms

 #: 647505 S2/Star Trek: General
    10-Feb-97  22:32:28
Sb: #647395-Scotty Fired
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      There's nothing more new on this in the trades, which is all I know about
it...everybody rolled over, apparently, and that's that.

                                                                    jms

   company. ]

 #: 647506 S5/Babylon 5: General
    10-Feb-97  22:32:31
Sb: #647273-B5 Video & LDs in the US
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      We've been after them to do this, but so far it's "Well, no, we don't
want to do them, but we don't want anyone else to do them either because it's
our territory and if anyone should do them it's us, we just don't want do do
them."

      Nothing new there..."People will do what they will do even though you
should burst."  Marcus Aurelieus

    10-Feb-97  20:31:51
Sb: #<<Into The Fire>>
Fm: RICK SHARON

Joe,
(one more time, I accidently addressed the original of this to James
Coplien, intended it for you, not him; ole fumble-fingers in the Tapcis
address book - yikes!).

What can I say that hasn't been already said?  Nothing (new) comes to mind
(so no need to reply, save your wrists for more important stuff!).  I hate to
repeat what so many other have said, but you've earned it.  Repeating the
chorus...

re: recent episodes especially "Into The Fire".

Wonderfully done!  Kudos to you and the entire crew.  My impression after
ITF: Our "roller coaster" ride just hit a brick wall - such a wonderful build
up then wham!! - Done.  Talk about quick endings, jeeesh!  After all that
"foreplay" I guess I expected the "actual act" to last just a little bit
longer<g>.  At first I was disappointed in the quickness of the ending (blink
and you'll miss it) - perhaps I felt cheated out of a nasty prolonged battle.
But, the more I thought about it, the more it "felt right".   It had to end
that way.  I simply needed to "understand", to rethink the scenario. Marcus
summed it my initial reaction quite well ("Did we just win?"). Susan's
comeback also echoed my uneasy feeling of "did it REALLY just happen?" ...
are we sure??!?.  It was very right. Very well done.

At the end, with Delenn and Sheriden sitting on the (observation deck?) of
the Whitestar as they approached B5, I had the feeling "and they all lived
happily ever after".  After all they've been through, it's about time,
they've earned it ... but, from you?  Naaah.  Previews for next episode were
enough to nip that in the bud, to change that to "and they all lived happily
ever short pause".  No smarmy sugar coated happy endings here.  Thanks at
least for giving Delenn, Sheridan and the rest at least a few fleeting
moments of happiness, relief, and a brief respite from their challenges. <g>

So much in this episode worked so well.  The decadence of dealing with
"subjective humor", the paraded G'kar telling the -other- Narn to "be
strong", Ericson's suicide mission, "what had G'Kar sacrified?" (geesh!! were
those Narn's blind??? - the irony of it!), Vir's torment, Morden's fate, the
"Vir wave" - twice!, Londo's begging Vir to do what he thought would appease
the Vorlons, the hopelessness of the pending battle ("no way we can win but
at least we'll go down fighting").  The symetry - Sheridan and Ericson vs
Londo and (the unnamed Centauri) on Seleni - both knew what they were getting
into and did it willingly, sacrificed so much for the good/survival of their
people.  So heroic, so ... desperate? - no other alternatives.  So much
satisfaction out of this episode, so much closure crammed into such a short
span of time.  But, also a sense of emptiness with the first ones going where
they did.  Perhaps the galaxy just got a lot bigger ... or emptier.  Finally
we know the three ages of mankind.  Where will you take us from here?  (no I
don't expect an answer in this forum - I know I'll find out "in the fullness
of time").  I know more great story lies ahead.  You (and I) wouldn't have it
any other way.

One of my biggest suprises: I felt a little sorry for both the Vorlons and
Shadows at the end of the episode.  Their being trapped in the same single
minded repeating pattern for centuries, their noble sense of
duty/obligation/responsibility to what they were doing but, most of all, for
their pitiful loneliness ("will you be coming with us?", they'll finally be
reunited with some of the others).  The sense of ... regret ... in Lorien's
face / tone, I really felt like he was going to truly miss "us".  (I don't
want to give much away for those who haven't seen it so I've in I don't know
how you do "it", I'm continually awed by your product - by the depth and
richness of your story and the B5 universe, by the caliber of the acting,
effects, by how much story you can cram into so little time (and more and
more into shorter and shorter as the episodes progress), EVERYTHING.  I am
trully enjoying that you DO (all your team) do it so well. You are redefining
the televised fiction "landscape", I can depth of characters, depth of
acting, plot, and richness of story - the "epicness of your myth".  I hope
"in the fullness of time" you receive the same accolades he and others have.
You've earned them.  You have DEFINITELY earned them.  Keep up the great work
(& I'll keep being addicted to it).

Thanks!

--Rick Sharon

 #: 647507 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    10-Feb-97  22:32:33
Sb: #647423-<<Into The Fire>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...and there are definitely more transitions to come....

                                                                    jms

   "Epiphanies." ]

 #: 647508 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    10-Feb-97  22:32:35
Sb: #647485->>Epiphanies<<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah...Sheridan's taking a different tone with a lot of people these
days.  I guess being dead for a while does that to you....

    10-Feb-97  20:42:37
Sb: #647061-#<<ITF>>  Frying Pan...
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

<< The change from minor to major chords does signal an emotional
transition, and it works well. >>

I must admit I noticed it because it came when the actors had stopped
talking, and it melded so nicely with the focus-in on the station.  Had
there been dialogue, I might not have been able to shift my attention
and so would have missed the musical theme-monologue (consciously, but
sublinally?...).

<<       The director initially didn't want to do the Londo rage scene
in one take; it was something I felt very strongly about, and I think
it works well. >>

It's surprising to me that the director wouldn't want that -- there's a
building of emotion for the actor that I find hard to imagine
successfully brought off chopped into segments.

<< We're talking here almost 4 minutes of footage, not one cut in the
whole thing, very fast dialogue, and not a single muffed line, with the
performances working wonderfully.  You'll know it when you see it. >>

As if there weren't enough stuff (acting, story, CGI) to
anticipate...(And it takes place on Epsilon 3?!! -- most intriguing.)
Is it typical for creator/writer/producers to be so generous in
appreciating the skill of the actors?  Since you're the only one I'm
aware of with this much online presence, you can't exactly be taken as
a representative example.  (That appreciation might be especially
highlit for me since I'm about to go into rehearsal for "Belle of
Amherst."  One advantage of very late night scheduling of B5 -- no
rehearsal conflict during sweeps new eps!)

-rje-

I can almost feel the rustling-in of some kind of enchantment already.

 #: 647509 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    10-Feb-97  22:32:38
Sb: #647437-<<ITF>>  Frying Pan...
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      RE: actors and producers...it's a mixed bag.  Some producers prefer to
have as little as possible to do with the cast.  And relations can be *very*
strained, which leads to a lack of appreciation of the cast.  On B5, the cast
and I hang out, we go to dinner, do conventions together, and I learn more
about what they can do.  It creates an atmosphere where you want to reward them
and show what they can do.

                                                                    jms

   the episode which spoil the outcome of the episode she's watching. ]

 #: 647510 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    10-Feb-97  22:32:40
Sb: #647203-<ITF-Preview within ep>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It's nothing to do with me, keed...I gots nothing to do with that.  I can
only shake my head with everybody else.

                                                                    jms

   caused him to jerk back. ]

 #: 647511 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    10-Feb-97  22:32:42
Sb: #647397-<<Epiphanies>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      He tried to scan, but she kept blocking him.

    10-Feb-97  19:52:28
Sb: #<407: Afflatus?>
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Howdy, Joe;

    "Epiphanies" was a very fun episode.  I absolutely loved the Lyta scenes
and the stuff with Londo and G'Kar (separately and together).

    While watching, one thing did jump out at me, though, and I'd like to ask
you about it.

    In the scene between Sheridan and Delenn on the White Star, something
looked odd about the editing.  From the line by Delenn about his head imploding
to the next line by Sheridan about her not knowing him long enough to know him
that well, there's a very unnatural edit.  As she speaks her lines, her hands
are clearly not on his shoulders, yet when we switch to look at him speaking
his lines, her hands are comfortably on his shoulders (as if they've been there
for a few moments at least).  Also, her head is straight up when she speaks her
lines, but angled to one side when we switch to see him.

    Question:  Was there more to that scene that had to be cut for time? Or am
I just seeing things?  I take it that if there was, the dialogue wasn't
terribly important to the story, but do you happen to recall what was said?

Thanks,

  -- Brent

 #: 647512 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    10-Feb-97  22:32:44
Sb: #647399-<407: Afflatus?>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      You got it right...there was more in that scene, but we were about 4
minutes over on that episode, and I was chasing about another minute at that
stage in the editing...and it went.  Weren't nothin' terribly important, just
this part that explained the ethical structure of the universe and the true
meaning of life, but heck, everybody knows THAT one....

    10-Feb-97  21:46:05
Sb: #ITF: Questions...
Fm: SCOTT BAKER

First off I wanted to tell you that Into the Fire is perhaps the single best
hour of television I've ever watched.  Thank you!

I had  quick questions:

1) Now that the first ones are gone, what happened to the Eye at Z'ha'dum?

2) What's to prevent someone from going to the Vorlon homeworld, and if they
did, what would they find?

3) How widespread is the knowledge of the victory?  Obviously the League Worlds
know of it, as do the Centari, Narn and the Minbari.  Does the Earth government
know what happened?  And what about the people of Earth, do they know?

4) NOW WHAT!?!

--Scott

 #: 647513 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    10-Feb-97  22:32:46
Sb: #647492-ITF: Questions...
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Oddly enough, every one of those questions is addressed in upcoming
episodes, some as early as next week...so I'll let the show speak for itself.

                                                                    jms

 #: 647672 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    11-Feb-97  15:31:52
Sb: #647514-<Into the Fire>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Thanks....

                                                                       jms

   Keeper on his neck. ]

 #: 647673 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    11-Feb-97  15:31:53
Sb: #647528->>Epiphanies<<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Thanks, yeah, it's one of those great opportunities when you get to play
to the fact that the audience knows more than the characters know about
something.

                                                                       jms

 #: 647674 S5/Babylon 5: General
    11-Feb-97  15:31:54
Sb: #647539-Midwest JMS
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Well, we'll see....

    11-Feb-97  13:20:45
Sb: #The big pic (itf etc)
Fm: JONATHAN KASS

ITF really started me thinking... with some closure on the vorlon / shadow
conflict, I started thinking alot about the story thus far, and suddenly alot
of things started to seem to fit together that at the time were somewhat
"mysterious"... gonna ask about several, but to keep things short, I'll try one
at a time...

1) Level of Vorlon impact on the known races - can we assume that Londo's
inability to see Kosh in TFON was a reflection of the fact that the Vorlons
_never_ interfered with the development of the Centauri people?  At the time, I
think, there was much speculation that this was a result of Londo's "fall" from
grace, his dealings with the shadows.  But now, that seems unlikely, as it
wouldn't undo genetic and cultural programming.

Reason I ask is there seems to be a pattern to religion / belief systems that
I'm now seeing - Centauri Prime seems to be pantheistic (if I'm using the word
correctly) - the constant, specific use of "Gods" when talking about higher
powers.  Earth I presume is about as it is now, except for the advent of the
Foundation movement (which is apparently non-religious, what little I got out
of it).  Minbar and Narn seem to have a mono-theistic bent (though I can't say
I've heard them put it that way); and both seem to have a Christ-like figure
who shaped their belief systems (Valen and G'Quon); and interestingly both of
those figures are/were Warriors, not priests.  From that light, seems like
Sheridan is on his way to being the Earth's next "savior".

Pattern that seems to emerge is one that implies that mono-theistic systems
were somehow basically the result of Vorlon interference; or at least that the
Centauri Prime example is one of the only ones we have where the Vorlons didn't
get involved.  Clearly in our own experience these systems were responsible for
much of the "order from chaos" in our history (which is not to say they are
without fault).

Also, if there was no Vorlon interference, the Centauri may be one of the few
races we can assume developed telepathy naturally (we suspect the Vorlons did
it to Earth, which leads to a probability they would have done it for Minbar;
the Shadows wiped out the Narn telepaths, which may imply they too were Vorlon
products).  Interesting because the Centauri have been the only race we've seen
demonstrate prescience in addition to mind reading.  Was this intentional -
natural abilities exceed what the Vorlons seemed to be handing out?

 #: 647675 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    11-Feb-97  15:31:55
Sb: #647626-The big pic (itf etc)
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       It's a combination of elements, Londo's fall, and yes, the Vorlons had a
very minimal affect on the Centauri, they never were able to get a really
strong foothold there.