JMS on CompuServe (Feb 15, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Sat Feb 15 18:05:37 EST 1997

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

              REMEMBER EPIPHANIES!

    Sb: #648091-Kathryn Drennan
    Sb: #648095-#<<ITF>>  Frying Pan...
    Sb: #648104-#Babylon 5 Soundtrack II
    Sb: #648267-<Epi - Lyta & Sheridan>
    Sb: #648312-#<Epiphanies>
    Sb: #648319-Just What I Wanted
    Sb: #648330-#<<Into The Fire>>
    Sb: #648332-<Epiph.> Throw away line
    Sb: #648400-Writing
    Sb: #648443-<<ITF>>  Frying Pan...

   as he was disappointed by the way the Star Trek novels went after they
   became popular. ]

 #: 648386 S5/Babylon 5: General
    14-Feb-97  15:50:27
Sb: #648091-Kathryn Drennan
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       That's certainly what I want....

    13-Feb-97  10:08:39
Sb: #648027-#<<ITF>>  Frying Pan...
Fm: SYSOP LEE WHITESIDE

You were asked about what you did to get back at Andreas and you responded that
you'd mention it at the next con.  The next one I know of is this weekend at
Gallifrey One, so I'll make sure to remind you on Sunday.

 #: 648387 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    14-Feb-97  15:51:19
Sb: #648095-#<<ITF>>  Frying Pan...
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Yeah, but I think I want to hold that for a big con...my problem is,
once I tell a story ANYwhere, it's on the nets in 50 seconds, and I can't tell
it anywhere else without boring my audience to tears.  So I'm looking for ways
to spread stuff around.

    13-Feb-97  11:16:59
Sb: #Babylon 5 Soundtrack II
Fm: EDWIN CHAN

JMS,

Is the Babylon 5 Volume 2 soundtrack out in stores and on the shelves yet?  I
haven't been able to find it, and this is New York City ... if it isn't here,
then I don't know where it can be.

thanks in advance,
ec in nyc

 #: 648388 S5/Babylon 5: General
    14-Feb-97  15:51:20
Sb: #648104-#Babylon 5 Soundtrack II
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Yeah, it's out (though you may need to have your local store special
order it for you), and you can get it online via www.sonicimages.com.

    13-Feb-97  22:42:37
Sb: #<Epi - Lyta & Sheridan>
Fm: COLIN GLASSEY

Joe,

Just saw Epiphanies and I was struck by the leap that Sheridan made when he
confronted Lyta regarding the Z'Ha'Dum blowup. First, the jump seems huge, how
could he think that she had anything to do with it? The notion seems completely
out of left field.

Second, why wasn't Lyta's response to Sheridan something like "I don't owe you
a thing. I've done so many things for you, and what have you done for me? You
aren't my commanding officer."?

Finally, it is a bit bizarre to have Londo, still Prime Minister, be off
Centauri Prime. We've seen really odd behavior out of the Minbari with the Grey
Council on their star ship, and now Delenn on B5, but the Centauri have always
been "traditionalists" and Londo is as "old republic" as one can get.

I've enjoyed these last few episodes a great deal. I'm still thinking about the
end of the Shadow/Vorlon conflict....

-- Colin Glassey

 #: 648389 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    14-Feb-97  15:51:21
Sb: #648267-<Epi - Lyta & Sheridan>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       No, Lyta doesn't officially work for Sheridan, but she has nowhere else
to go, and is beholden to him just for everyday survival and protection against
the Corps.  That makes her answerable to him.

    14-Feb-97  08:31:12
Sb: #<Epiphanies>
Fm: RAE AUGENSTEIN

I just wanted to write you a short note and let you know how much I enjoyed
Epiphanies. I know many people will probably think this is a run-of-the mill
episode, but I found it to be quite engaging, and you packed it full of great
moments for all our favorite characters. I loved how it tied up all sorts of
loose ends after the end of the war.

Some thoughts:
        1. I love G'Kar. He really has been changed as a result of his
imprisonment and the subsequent freeing of Narn. I just hope he and Londo never
get stuck in an elevator together again. Yikes. I especially enjoyed the way he
greeted Mr. Garibaldi, and I loved Garibaldi's uneasiness during that whole
scene. They make a great pair.

        2. While we were watching the mushy Delenn/Sheridan scene, my husband
commented that he liked the bald, bad-a$$ Delenn better, and that he wished she
would come back. I told him to wait two weeks, and I assured him I wasn't
kidding. I didn't bother to mention that it would be in flashbacks. =) But
yeah, I really liked the bald bad-a$$ Delenn better, too.

        3. The Minister (now Regent) on Centauri Prime: he's great! But his
new, um, companion is really creepy. I can't wait to find out what that's all
about. BTW, does the Regent have a name now?

        4. I liked the fact that we finally got to see some of Lyta just
hanging out. I especially liked all the Zocalo shopping bags hanging around her
room as she's trying to redecorate. And I like her enhanced abilities. She
makes a good foil for Bester.

        5. Disneyplanet: LOL!

        6. LOVED the Big Band music and the celebration at the beginning of the
episode. Just like the end of WW2.

Well, I guess that's about it for now. This has been an interesting season so
far. I have especially enjoyed the Centauri storyline (thanks for letting us
see Vir getting his wish <eg>). As intriguing as the shadow war has been, I'm
much more interested in Babylon 5's relationship with Earth. I'm glad we're
getting back to that now.

I've got my fingers and toes crossed for season 5.

        Rae ^^^^

 #: 648390 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    14-Feb-97  15:51:22
Sb: #648312-#<Epiphanies>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Actually, though the tougher Delenn is in flashbacks in 2 weeks, the
foreground/contemporary story has her very tough, and very smart. Basically,
the next mini-arc sequence focuses a LOT on Delenn...she has many facets, and
while part of that is the relationship, there's steel there as well, and we're
going to explore that.  As she at one point comments to Sheridan, "I appreciate
that you have come to care for what I have become... but never forget who I am,
or what I can do."

       After this arc of hers, nobody's ever going to make that mistake.

    14-Feb-97  09:16:18
Sb: #Just What I Wanted
Fm: DAVID CERRETA

Joe,

A couple of quick stories for your digestion.

A few weeks ago a friend of mine called me, desparate, wanting to know if "Into
the Fire" was the end of Babylon 5.  I told her it was only the sixth show into
the season and we had at least 16 more to go.  She was quite relieved, although
she had the reaction you apparently wanted from your avid viewership:  "Oh
s**t, what now?"

Now a story to pass on to Chritopher Franke.  My daughter is 5 1/2 and knows
how fanatical my wife and I are about the show.  Sunday mornings she doesn't
get to watch her PBS program from 8-9 so that we can watch the satellite feed
live.  She has, however, seen bits and pieces of the show and likes to come in
when there is "lots of action".  Anyway, I recently purchased the second B5 CD
from Sonic Images and one morning this past week as I was putting her in the
car, she saw the CD case on her booster seat and said,"I know what that is,
it's Babylon 5!" She knew from the big 5 on the cover.  Then she adds, "Play
the CD!"  So I turn it on and she beams at me, saying "This is just like going
to a drive-in movie!"  Where the hell she got that, I don't know. I'm not sure
she even knows what a drive-in movie *is*. She loves the music and listens
quietly while we drive to school.  Normally, she's a non-stop motor mouth.
Then this morning we get in to go to school, I turn on the CD without her
prompting me, she listens for a moment, turns to me and says,"Babylon 5!  You
knew just what I wanted!"

Yeah, I know it's cute and youse hates cute, but I think Christopher Franke
should know that he has a big five-year-old fan in a lil' ol' town in Texas.

And I now have a new mantra:  Babylon 5. Just what I wanted.

Best, Dave

 #: 648391 S5/Babylon 5: General
    14-Feb-97  15:51:23
Sb: #648319-Just What I Wanted
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       That's great to hear, on all fronts...thanks.

                                                                       jms

   when the Vorlons spoke of an "unexpected door."  Thinks "Into the Fire"
   may have marked the real end of the story. ]

 #: 648392 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    14-Feb-97  15:51:24
Sb: #648330-#<<Into The Fire>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Nope, the events of WWE *cemented* the events that are to come.  What we
saw in that flash-forward will now happen precisely because of what has been
done.  That future will take place.

       As for the story being over...not by a long sight.  Frankly, some of
what's coming in the latter part of this season is more intense than anything
we've done previously.  We really focus in on the characters and the
after-shocks of the war, in ways usually ignored.

       After all, we all know how nice and calm and civilized Europe was after
the War To End All Wars came to an end...we hardly heard a peep from that part
of the world thereafter....

    14-Feb-97  10:48:04
Sb: #<Epiph.> Throw away line
Fm: JIM DE VICO

JMS,

Great thow away line by Girabaldi in regards to DisneyPlanet.  I loved it and
was ROTFL!!!

Great episodes.  I can't tell you enough how much I love this show.  Thank you.

Jim

 #: 648393 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    14-Feb-97  15:51:27
Sb: #648332-<Epiph.> Throw away line
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Give 'em time, and they'll try to buy a planet.  It's inevitable.

       With Earth now in the present, that'd make two.

    14-Feb-97  16:27:22
Sb: #Writing
Fm: JEAN S MCKNIGHT

I was just wondering what sort of software you use to write scripts, and if you
use something different for novels?
                                Jean McKnight

 #: 648492 S5/Babylon 5: General
    14-Feb-97  22:19:08
Sb: #648400-Writing
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I use Movie Master for scripts; it's a formatting program only.  It's
quirky and buggy as hell, but it's what I learned to use at Universal, and it's
functional.  I use Wordstar for regular prose.

    14-Feb-97  18:33:49
Sb: #648387-#<<ITF>>  Frying Pan...
Fm: TOM KNUDSEN

Joe,

        <Yeah, but I think I want to hold that for a big con...>

        So......is I-Con considered the next big con??

     Tom^^^^

     "The avalanche has ALREADY started.  It is too late
      for the pebbles to vote." - Kosh Naranek

 #: 648493 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    14-Feb-97  22:19:10
Sb: #648443-<<ITF>>  Frying Pan...
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Megacon in Florida would be the next biggie.  I'll be at that one in
Orlando March 15th and 16th.

      BTW, here's one of those little things that make you go "hmmmmm...."

      That Starlog has an anti-B5 bias has always been evident, and has covered
us only reluctantly covered us.  There is a convention listing page in the
current issue.  It mentions the Gallifrey Convention happening this weekend
here in LA, lists the guests...but omits my name.  So you figure, "Okay, it's
an oversight."

      Then there's a listing for MegaCon in Orlando.  Now, understand that
MegaCon *advertises* in Starlog.  Three pages earlier, there's a huge half page
ad for MegaCon with my name in huge letters as the primary guest.  But in the
convention listing for MegaCon, all the others are listed *except* me.

      One you figure could be an oversight...two, in the very same magazine
that has a huge ad for one of the conventions, starts to look like a deliberate
snub.

      Or, more succinctly, "Hmmmm....."