JMS on CompuServe (Jan 01, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* (1/3)

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Thu Jan 2 02:46:29 EST 1997

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #632526-From jms re: yr 4/5
    Sb: #632690-From jms re: yr 4/5
    Sb: #632672-Proper Boskonian duz JMS
    Sb: #632558-G'Kar's monologue
    Sb: #632597-Message to Great Maker
    Sb: #632840-"Crusade" Spinoff?
    Sb: #632857-Do it all over again?

 #: 632526 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-Dec-96  19:19:27
Sb: #632449-#From jms re: yr 4/5
Fm: THE JAWA / JAWA #2

>>  I saw most of it all at once

        <!>
        I hope you were standing near a computer <G>.
        I know B5 more or less ends in a year and a half (which probably looks
like eternity to you now!), and I wondered if you know what you'll be doing
after it's all over.
        (Maybe deep sleeping...I suggest a Minbari cocoon, minus the
transformation since it'll make your publicity shots look funny.)

 #: 633210 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Jan-97  18:40:31
Sb: #632526-From jms re: yr 4/5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Actually, I was in the shower...and I don't usually have a computer
there, as it's rather dangerous.

      "I wondered if you know what you'll be doing after (B5 is) all over."

      Depends.  WB is very interested in the sequel series, and we hope to have
some info on that by the end of the month.  That I'd definitely want to do.
Barring that, I'd like to find a show or a structure where I could push the
envelope again but in a different way.  If I can't find a show like that, or
create one, I'll go back to prose.

    31-Dec-96  10:17:50
Sb: #632450-#From jms re: yr 4/5
Fm: SCOTT BAKER

Why weren't others willing to take a chance with B5?  Because it was something
new and different, or because you wanted to tell your story your way and they
didn't like that?

--Scott

 #: 633211 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Jan-97  18:40:34
Sb: #632690-From jms re: yr 4/5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Two primary reasons why it was a hard sell: 1) SF has *always* gone way
over budget.  The "V" series singlehandedly nearly destroyed Warner Bros.
Television.  Producers always said they could do it, and they lied, and the
studios and networks were very skittish.

      2) They're skittish about SF in general, and space stuff in particular.
We were told, repeatedly, in verbatim terms, "No space series other than ST has
ever survived more than a couple of sesaons.  There is no market for space SF
other than Star Trek.  The market won't sustain it, isn't big enough to sustain
it."  That was, hands down, our single biggest stumbling block.

                                                                    jms

   appeared in the "PROPER BOSKONIAN" asks JMS if he'd like a copy. ]

 #: 633212 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Jan-97  18:40:36
Sb: #632672-Proper Boskonian duz JMS
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I'd love a copy, thanks, as I haven't seen it yet.  Whole or just the
clip, either is fine.  You can send it to me via the B5 mail drop, at 14431
Ventura Boulevard, Suite 260, Sherman Oaks, CA 91423.  Thanks.

    30-Dec-96  21:51:46
Sb: #632146-#G'Kar's monologue
Fm: RAY PELZER

 >       The writing of it...this is just an estimate, trying to remember, but
 > I think it took me about 10-15 minutes.  Which is actually a long time for
 > me to stay parked on any part of the page.

  Well, now I don't feel so bad.  I realize my brief, occasional scribbles
don't come close to yours (or anyone else's), but I've found that when I try to
put pen to paper, either it comes flying out at top speed, or it doesn't come
out at all.  That, and I tend to avoid heavy re-examination of what I've done -
if I look at it too long, I start to second-guess myself.

 #: 633213 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Jan-97  18:40:39
Sb: #632558-G'Kar's monologue
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Exactly.  Too often, errors come when you second guess yourself.  The
scripts of mine that have always worked the best were usually written in just a
couple of days; the ones I nurse and revise and futz around with for a week or
so are always the ones that perform less well.

                                                                    jms

   wonders how long it's been since JMS has seen sunlight. ]

 #: 633214 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Jan-97  18:40:41
Sb: #632597-Message to Great Maker
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Sure...anything I write here can be reprinted elsewhere.

"how do you do it? How many years has it been since you've seen genuine
sunlight? =)"

      I think you just answered your own question.

      It's easy when you don't have a life outside the keyboard umbilicus.

                                                                    jms

   which regular characters from Babylon 5 will transfer to the new series. ]

 #: 633215 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Jan-97  18:40:43
Sb: #632840-"Crusade" Spinoff?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It would take place after the main B5 arc.  As for specifics on cast,
nothing can be said until things get closer to being nailed down; there's still
a lot that can change on this, and it's a question of what works best for the
show, and who wants to move on, and other aspects.

                                                                    jms

   Babylon 5 all over again. ]

 #: 633216 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Jan-97  18:40:46
Sb: #632857-Do it all over again?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I had nothing to do with the marketing of the series itself, so I can't
affect that either way.  What I'd do different with the show...I'd just love
one more chance to adjust every episode, but that's an after-the-fact thing.
What I'd do different otherwise...I dunno.  Maybe nothing.  You take a
different tack, you just run into different problems, never fewer problems. So
it's hard to say.  Overall, I'm as pleased as anyone can be with a show.