JMS on CompuServe (Jan 05, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Sun Jan 5 21:19:37 EST 1997

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #633893-#The Alliance (UK Con)
    Sb: #633941-Something . . .
    Sb: #633792-#The Nature of Shadows
    Sb: #633888-#Paramount STRIKES!!!
    Sb: #634102-#Paramount STRIKES!!!
    Sb: #634069-#Proper Boskonian duz JMS
    Sb: #634064-#"Crusade" Spinoff?
    Sb: #634075-The Nature of Shadows
    Sb: #634068-Sci Fi Universe
    Sb: #634195-Paramount STRIKES!!!
    Sb: #634187-#Proper Boskonian duz JMS
    Sb: #634188-#"Crusade" Spinoff?
    Sb: #634202-The Alliance (UK Con)
    Sb: #634218-Historical reference?
    Sb: #634316-The Centauri Eye

   his first trip to Forbidden Planet says, "The odds against running into
   *anyone* I knew from online were pretty astronomical. Walking into FP
   and finding you there was just too unlikely." ]

 #: 634048 S5/Babylon 5: General
    04-Jan-97  17:11:59
Sb: #633893-#The Alliance (UK Con)
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, well, we've all been keeping tabs on your movements, you know....

    04-Jan-97  10:07:35
Sb: #633760-#Something . . .
Fm: ROWAN KAISER

>> Nothing substantial that I can think of, no.<<

Other than, of course, the Gethesmane incident . . .

 #: 634049 S5/Babylon 5: General
    04-Jan-97  17:12:01
Sb: #633941-Something . . .
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, but that was a case of *not* doing a story for fear of legal
complications, rather than fan interaction contributing to the show.

    03-Jan-97  19:09:35
Sb: #The Nature of Shadows
Fm: SYSOP DUPA T PARROT

Joe,

In "Interludes and Examinations", Morden had to physically open the door to
Kosh's quarters in order for the Shadows to enter even though they appeared to
pass through the walls.

In the the "Garibaldi's Last Stand" scene in "Babylon Squared" and "War Without
End Pt 1," it was implied that those attacking had to cut through the walls in
order to invade (and the hole was not Shadow-shaped).

Why is this? Or will this be covered later this season?

 #: 634051 S5/Babylon 5: General
    04-Jan-97  17:12:06
Sb: #633792-#The Nature of Shadows
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Well, large boarding parties tend to cut through walls to get large
groups through, as they did in "Severed Dreams."

                                                                    jms

   out to webmasters who feature Star Trek resources on their sites. ]

 #: 634060 S2/Star Trek: General
    04-Jan-97  18:05:13
Sb: #633888-#Paramount STRIKES!!!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      This is a most unfortunate development.  But there are some ways you can
try to deal with this constructively.

      Last year, WB became aware of the existence of many BABYLON 5 sites, and
the Legal Affairs Department was of a mind to take similar action (as has been
taken by other shows, including the Simpsons).  The reason for their desire is
simple.  It's not that the sites present a *threat* per se, but there is the
issue of copyright protection at stake.

      To explain...and this may help you to at least understand Paramount's
position, even if you don't agree with it...if copyrighted material begins to
be passed around freely, and copied, and redistributed, and published, without
the proper protections, eventually the material will become *public domain*.
The studio no longer owns it.  In order to demonstrate that you own the
material, you must make consistent, and conscientious efforts to protect your
claim to that name and/or that property.

      Many companies and individuals have actually *lost* the right to the
copyright of material they own or created because they did not take steps to
actively protect it.  Which is why you often see advertisements from companies
like Xerox reminding people that it's a *company name*, and not a generic term
for photocopying.  Otherwise they risk letting that name become a word, part of
the vernacular, and as indefensible as saying "tissue paper" is a copyrightable
term.

      When material from a show is posted without the proper copyright
protection, every time you allow this to happen it moves that material further
and further into public domain.  Once it *becomes* public domain, the studio
will not be able to profit from it, ownership questions come up, and outside
agencies can produce anything they want, slap that name on it, and sell it.
It's a cumulative effect, over time.  And it *is* a real problem; don't delude
yourself by saying so because you *want* it not to be so.  The law is the law
is the law.

      When this came to our attention, we (acting sort of as fan advocates) sat
down with WB legal and discussed ways of doing it short of sending out these
exact sort of letters to BABYLON 5 sites.  What we came to was the following
understanding: that WB would not actively go after sites which used B5 photos
and other material PROVIDED THAT the proper copyright information was appended
to the material utilized.  They are currently in the process of verifying and
evaluating sites before sending letters telling them to append this
information.

      This seems to me a fair and reasonable response to what is, in truth, a
genuine concern.  What may help here is for system operators of web sites to
append the copyright information, and notify Paramount that they are in full
and complete compliance with copyright, and acknowledge formally that Paramount
is the owner of all copyrighted material posted on that site.  They may, or may
not, accept that, but it gives you a place to start.  Obviously, magazines use
copyrighted images all the time, and Paramount makes no effort to stop
that...but if you look in the edges along photos and the like in these
magazines, you will see the words "photo copyright (c) 1997 Paramount
Television."  That is the difference that allows them to use this material.
There is no immediate reason why sites should be viewed in any way differently
than a magazine, IF the laws are followed.

      (Interestingly, there's a debate in the TV community about the copyright
of the original ST being in some dispute, since for about 10 years Paramount
did little to protect the name of the original ST, until the first movie came
around.  I have no actual information on that, however, nor can I comment
beyond just remarking on the topic.  If there *is* any merit to it, that might
further explain their reasonable concern about it happening with current
material.)

      So point is...the concern expressed by Paramount is legitimate, and you
should abide by it, OR see if you can find some compromise position by adhering
strictly to the copyright laws in how material is displayed, and what material
is selected, as we have done with the B5 sites.  You may also want to write to
those currently running the ST franchise to see if the producers of the show
can intercede on the behalf of ST fans as we did for B5 fans.  Lawyers have
little or no vested interest in the fan/show relationship; those involved
directly in these shows, do have a vested interest.

      Usual disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and can only speak from anecdotal
information, and have no specific information about Paramount, and am in no way
suggesting any difference of opinion with their actions.  I'm only trying to
help you understand the issues involved.

                                                                    jms

 #: 634102 S2/Star Trek: General
    04-Jan-97  19:24:36
Sb: #634060-#Paramount STRIKES!!!
Fm: MARY TAYLOR

Everything you say is correct, of course, but I'm convinced that with the
Viacom/Paramount decision much more is at stake than the mere protection of
their copyrights.  If that were all they were concerned about, less draconian
action, like the action taken by Warner, could have been chosen.  I'm convinced
that the MSN site has everything to do with their decision.  Many fan sites
were far superior to anything over at Continuum (I don't belong to MSN and
don't intend to, but a friend does for her business, and I've seen the site),
and thus in direct competition with the exclusive, money driven MSN site.  Of
course I'm sure you know all this, but I'm just raising the point.

 #: 634179 S2/Star Trek: General
    04-Jan-97  23:23:25
Sb: #634102-#Paramount STRIKES!!!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Urk...I'd forgotten about the MSN site.  I wonder also if there is any
advertising at that site.  That might also prompt them to want to drive people
there for ST material, so they can ensure there's only one place in town to get
it, and then collect ad revenue.  Nothing wrong with advertising on a web site
in and of itself, of course; it's a natural progression that will, in time,
give sites greater resources to do stuff.  Most web sites are "dead web,"
interesting to look at, but with the resources to make the site very deep.

                                                                    jms

 #: 634180 S5/Babylon 5: General
    04-Jan-97  23:23:27
Sb: #634069-#Proper Boskonian duz JMS
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Actually, I'm doing the Icon convention in Long Island this spring, so
that's closer to your turf.

                                                                    jms

   worried for her future in the business, considering some of the things
   she apparently had to say. ]

 #: 634181 S5/Babylon 5: General
    04-Jan-97  23:23:29
Sb: #634064-#"Crusade" Spinoff?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Claudia is notoriously fearless.  Actually, that applies to most of our
cast, which is fun.  If you see interviews with our cast, they're right out
there on the edge, being outrageous...because that's who and what they are.

    04-Jan-97  18:33:00
Sb: #634051-#The Nature of Shadows
Fm: SYSOP DUPA T PARROT

>> Well, large boarding parties tend to cut through walls to get large groups
through, <<

Yeah, I can see *that*.

But what about the scene in "Interludes and Examinations" where, after Morden
opens the door, the Shadows appear to pass through the walls. If they can pass
through the walls, why do they need an opening?

 #: 634182 S5/Babylon 5: General
    04-Jan-97  23:23:32
Sb: #634075-The Nature of Shadows
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      They're not passing through the walls, they're just phasing into the
visible spectrum.  It's probably something of an optical illusion given the
distance between the walls and themselves.

                                                                    jms

 #: 634183 S5/Babylon 5: General
    04-Jan-97  23:23:34
Sb: #634068-Sci Fi Universe
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, haven't seen it yet...will probably get it this week.

                     jms

   competition for web users, given their new MSN site. ]

 #: 634196 S2/Star Trek: General
    05-Jan-97  02:33:27
Sb: #634195-Paramount STRIKES!!!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Again, this was a conversation we had with WB, and as long as sites have
a link to either the WB site or the official B5 fanclub site, we don't see a
problem in coexisting.

                                                                    jms

 #: 634197 S5/Babylon 5: General
    05-Jan-97  02:33:28
Sb: #634187-#Proper Boskonian duz JMS
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It's the April 4th weekend, at the University of Stony Brook, Long
Island.  Harlan will also be present, and many others.

                                                                    jms

 #: 634198 S5/Babylon 5: General
    05-Jan-97  02:33:30
Sb: #634188-#"Crusade" Spinoff?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      BTW, which article are you referring to?

                                                                    jms

   enough already!" ]

 #: 634366 S5/Babylon 5: General
    05-Jan-97  14:31:29
Sb: #634202-The Alliance (UK Con)
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      You can *never* be paranoid enough.

      (BTW, you left your window open again last night.)

                                                                    jms

   reflect the rising sun motif of Japan. ]

 #: 634367 S5/Babylon 5: General
    05-Jan-97  14:31:30
Sb: #634218-Historical reference?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I think it's just a general sense of empire style symbols, nothing
specific to Japan.

                                                                    jms

 #: 634368 S5/Babylon 5: General
    05-Jan-97  14:31:32
Sb: #634316-The Centauri Eye
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The eye is now safely back home and on display.