JMS on CompuServe (Jan 22, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Wed Jan 22 20:33:59 EST 1997

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #640342-From jms re: yr 4/5
    Sb: #640382-#Sneak Attacks.
    Sb: #640266-Another John?
    Sb: #640392-Writing
    Sb: #640428-Writing
    Sb: #640223-From jms re: yr 4/5
    Sb: #640467-From jms re: yr 4/5
    Sb: #640469-SFX Readers Awards
    Sb: #640553-Writing

 #: 640342 S5/Babylon 5: General
    21-Jan-97  17:19:43
Sb: #640247-#From jms re: yr 4/5
Fm: SCOTT BAKER

So in other words, you like it here (the Nets) and you do what you do (make
great stories) because you're having fun, and you don't compromise on
principle.  That must be hard in the town you're in.

Joe, you are a truly remarkable man, much like the ancient Bards of old.  In my
humble opinion, you are Shakespere and Homer wrapped up in one.

--Scott

 #: 640438 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-Jan-97  01:49:56
Sb: #640342-From jms re: yr 4/5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"So in other words, you like it here (the Nets) and you do what you do (make
great stories) because you're having fun, and you don't compromise on
principle.  That must be hard in the town you're in."

      Not really.  Not as long as you know what you're in the business for. I'm
a storyteller.  The rest is superfluous.  And it's not really that hard because
I live a sensible life...if they take it all away, I should still be okay, and
I can go back to writing books, or teaching.  A story is a story, doesn't
matter to me which venue it is.  Where this town gets you is if you're in it
for the money.  Money's nice, but doesn't really mean that much to me...you can
only sleep in one bed at a time, drive one car at a time, eat one meal at a
time...how much do you *need*?

"Joe, you are a truly remarkable man, much like the ancient Bards of old.  In
my humble opinion, you are Shakespere and Homer wrapped up in one."

      Not a chance.  If I work hard and write my brains out, then in 20 years
*maybe* I'll be fit to carry their pencil cases, but no more than that.

    21-Jan-97  20:29:34
Sb: #638749-#Sneak Attacks.
Fm: JOHN M. GRAHAM

Message text written by J. Michael Straczynski
>  In the Z'ha'dum situation, again, there was a war of aggression on, pursued
by the shadows.  In wartime, one does sometimes bomb the capital cities of
aggressor nations, from Iraq to Dresden to Tokyo, on and on.

      But neither situation is in the *least* comparable to a sneak attack. Was
there cleverness?  Sure.  But sometimes you need that to beat a technically
superior enemy<

In my long wordedness, I think you misunderstood at least part of what I was
getting at.  You are correct in that a human being would condone, and even
applaud Sheridan's actions at Z'ha'dum, as being necessary.  The Minbari,
however, found Sheridan's victory in the Black Star situation indecent, to say
the least.  That was true even though it was the result of a desparate man
about to die.  In instances when they have spoken about that attack, the
Minbari made it clear that they condemn such actions as cowardly, not befitting
their sense of honor and duty.  Sinclair confirmed this feeling in the very
first episode, before we even knew of Sheridan.

Sheridan then, *while under a flag of truce* takes a similar action on an even
grander scale, and against a non-military target.  Again I ask, why do they
follow him still?

-John

 #: 640439 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-Jan-97  01:50:00
Sb: #640382-#Sneak Attacks.
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I think the main reason the Minbari have a problem with the Black Star
incident is mainly because it happened to *them*.  And even there it's mainly
the warrior caste that's annoyed by it...even though they were en route to
doing something just as reprehensible, the equivilent to strafing lifeboats in
WW2.  Frankly, I don't think the warrior caste would give a fig who else it
happened to...they're outraged because it happened to *them*.

    21-Jan-97  14:18:59
Sb: #Another John?
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Joe,

    I don't know what you think of the man, but have you heard that John
Rhys-Davies is available?  He's left Sliders over some sort of dispute.  I was
impressed after reading the interview for TV Guide On-line.  I had first seen
him in the Indiana Jones movies, but I've grown to really enjoy his work.  If
you have a role for him, I think he'd be wonderful on the show.  :-)

Here's a snippet from the TV Guide article and interview:

-----

Newly liberated from the "creative differences" with Sliders producers, the
sci-fi buff and Shakespearean scholar is pursuing a long-held ambition to earn
his pilot's license.

TVG: Your first exposure to a large American TV audience was as "Rodrigo-san"
in Shogun. You've done so many period pieces since then. Do you prefer them
over contemporary?

JRD: I don't care what it is as long as it's well-written. You know, actors are
constrained by the words. And the great thing about Shogun was it was
brilliantly written. I like a little swash and buckle myself. But I'm not
particularly bound by it. I've always had a liking for science fiction, which
is obviously why I was involved with Sliders. I like the next job, to be honest
with you. I mean, whatever it is. I like working, keeping busy. Acting is like
a muscle, you see; if you don't exercise it, you'll lose it.

TVG: What science-fiction novels have you enjoyed?

JRD: A Canticle for Liebovitz by Walter Miller. I think that's a great novel,
as well as a great science-fiction novel.

TVG: You are an advocate of space colonization. Would you sign up if the
opportunity presented itself?

JRD: In a moment. Absolutely. Yes, I would think I could bring something to it.
I have some practical skills -- I can use a lathe, I can mill, I can lay
bricks. Barring the fact that I'm probably far too old, yes, I'd go like a
shot. Wouldn't you?

-----

Later,

  -- Brent

 #: 640440 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-Jan-97  01:50:02
Sb: #640266-Another John?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Hmmm...interesting....

    21-Jan-97  20:44:20
Sb: #640242-#Writing
Fm: SYSOP MIKE WILLMOTH

Joe,

That's interesting that you play the events in your head before writing it
down.  At the Worldcon in Boston (1989 Noreascon 3) I attended a talk by Isaac
Asimov.  He went into some details about his life and all that.  When one
fellow asked him what he saw when he wrote, he replied that he didn't see
anything; he heard conversations.  Which also explains why I find his works
wordy :-)

<== SysMike ==>

 #: 640441 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-Jan-97  01:50:04
Sb: #640392-Writing
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Twain was the same way; he said, "You should never start writing a work
until you have finished it to your satisfaction."

                                                                    jms

   something which can be learned. ]

 #: 640442 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-Jan-97  01:50:07
Sb: #640428-Writing
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I dunno...I've always been this way, seeing it in my head.  Helps to have
been a solitary-minded kid, I suppose, always off by myself.  When I first
began to read novels, I saw them in my head in full technicolor with surround
sound.  Especially with Bradbury's stuff, which is full of imagery; I can still
summon up my mind's eye view of Usher 2, the Martian deserts with their silver
windsailing vessels, the race for the ship in "The Golden Apples of the
Sun"...it's the way I'm hardwired.

      Which is why my scripts for B5 (and most shows) are *very* detailed; I
don't just write action and dialogue, I go shot-by-shot, close-ups, fades,
juxtaposition of shots, lighting, sound, framing of actors, all of it, to try
and most precisely recreate the script (and the episode) to look like what I
saw in my head.

    21-Jan-97  13:03:38
Sb: #639892-#From jms re: yr 4/5
Fm: THE JAWA / JAWA #2

>>Well, that's not entirely true.

        I think an inordinate amount of press goes to Trek, and I *like* it!
        Prime example: TV Guide.
        It is not an SF magazine, but they do at least ten cover stories a year
on Star Trek.

>>New blood is GREAT! The more sf, the better, especially when
>>they're quality shows.

        You know what SF show I really miss?
        "Space: Above and Beyond."
        I wish someone would try to clone it <G>.

>>But I don't toss out my old jeans when I buy a new pair.
>>Likewise, I still tune into and enjoy Trek, even when there's a
>>new and vitally different sf show on the air.

        I'll always like Trek myself (c'mon, how could I NOT like TNG??).
        I'm just saying that the new blood needs more coverage.

 #: 640594 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-Jan-97  13:25:18
Sb: #640223-From jms re: yr 4/5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       The amazing thing about TV Guide is that here we are, doing this show
for 4 years, with 2 Emmy awards, a Hugo award, a bunch of other awards, the
fifth highest rated syndicated drama series...and in those 4 years we have
never, ever had a B5 cover on TV Guide.

                                                                       jms

   gold medal for rowing at the Atlanta games.  It was something like
   'Anyone who sees me near a boat again has permission to shoot me.'  He
   then announced his retirement - approximately two months before deciding
   to try for a fourth gold in Sydney." ]

 #: 640598 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-Jan-97  13:32:13
Sb: #640467-From jms re: yr 4/5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       So, like, you're saying I should stay away from boats....

    22-Jan-97  06:30:41
Sb: #SFX Readers Awards
Fm: MARK SLOAN

Hi, JMS

You may have already heard but here are some of the results from this year's
SFX Reader's Awards (a UK magazine). The published lists were top tens. I've
included the top 5 from each of the TV categories (except The Worst category
which was topped by ST:Voyager and Space Precinct):

Best SF/Fantasy TV Show of 1996
1.      Babylon 5       (60% of the vote!!)
2.      The X-Files
3.      Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
4.      American Gothic
5.      Doctor Who

Best Individual Episode of an SF/Fantasy TV show in 1996
1.      Babylon 5 - Z'ha'dum
2.      Babylon 5 - Severed Dreams
3.      Babylon 5 - War Without End
4.      The X-Files - Final Repose
5.      Babylon 5 - Shadow Dancing

Best SF/Fantasy Actor in 1996
1.      Andreas Katsulas (G'Kar, Babylon 5)
2.      Bruce Boxleitner (Sheridan, Babylon 5)
3.      David Duchovney (Mulder, The X-Files)
4.      Gary Cole (American Gothic)
5.      Paul McGann (Doctor Who)

Best SF/Fantasy Actress in 1996
1.      Gillian Anderson (Scully, The X-Files)
2.      Mira Furlan (Delenn, Babylon 5)
3.      Claudia Christian (Ivanova, Babylon 5)
4.      Kate Mulgraw (Janeway, ST:Voyager)
5.      Nana Visitor (Kira, ST:DS9)

SFX Hame of Fame for Contributions to SF/Fantasy TV in 1996
1.      J.Michael Straczynski (Producer/Creator/Writer, Babylon 5)
2.      Chris Carter (Producer/Creator/Writer, The X-Files)
3.      Neil Gaiman (Writer, Neverwhere)
4.      Philip Segal (Producer, Doctor Who)
5.      Shaun Cassidy (Producer/Creator, American Gothic)

Babylon 5 won 4 out of the 5 "Best" TV categories. Babylon 5 also won the Best
SF/Fantasy-related Theme Music & Best SF/Fantasy TV Show or Film Opening
Credits categories. Congratulations!!!

The fourth season is superb! Can't wait for the next set of episodes.

Regards,
Mark Sloan

 #: 640599 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-Jan-97  13:32:14
Sb: #640469-SFX Readers Awards
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       That's great news, thanks.

    22-Jan-97  12:06:33
Sb: #640242-#Writing
Fm: MRSPEEL

>I always, *always* start with character rather than a series of incidents or
plot points.  Because character is the key to everything: plot, structure, all
of it.<

Yes, I agree and I think it shows (most favorably!) in your work!

This past year, I went in to a certain science fiction show to pitch story
ideas. (I'll keep the show unnamed.) I had been told they liked cool space
phenomenon, weird aliens, that sort of thing.  But as I started my pitches, the
writer/prod said to me, we need to see what happens to our characters.

Now, this was a man who's work I really liked. He wrote very strong character
episodes and I thought about what he said and realized my pitches weren't
driven by character. I could do much better.

The next time I went in to pitch, I purposely structured my ideas around the
thought, What do we need to say about the characters? What are their faults,
strengths, etc. Where've they been, where are they going, etc.  I've always
written my own stories based on character, so this process felt "right." I felt
very strongly about my ideas and was really excited to get in there and give
the show some great ideas.

Well, I pitched to a different writer/prod this time. After the first story, he
said to me, "what really sells a pitch is a cool science fiction idea."  He
subsequently ignored all the character points I made and focused on the sf
concept instead.

I suppose it's all about balance, but the experience gave me a lot to think
about.

Rhonda

 #: 640600 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-Jan-97  13:32:15
Sb: #640553-Writing
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       And therein, I think, lay the problem....