JMS on CompuServe (Jul 25, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* (1/2)

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Fri Jul 25 20:35:13 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #687093-#Claudia C fired!
    Sb: #687319-#New Character
    Sb: #687420-Claudia Opts Out-JMS
    Sb: #687569-Claudia Opts Out-JMS
    Sb: #687419-Claudia Opts Out-JMS
    Sb: #687660-Tim's Apology
    Sb: #687514-Claudia C fired!
    Sb: #687659-Claudia C fired!
    Sb: #687379-Pathfinder pix?
    Sb: #687477-Scripts;  501/422

 #: 687847 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Jul-97  20:42:21
Sb: #687093-#Claudia C fired!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"all I was really saying is that he should keep the business side  of the show
off of this forum."

      Then you miss two important points.

      1) This came up at Claudia's convention appearance, and the result has
led people to ask questions.  As in, "What the hell's going on?"

      2) The whole reason I'm *here* is not publicity, but to create and
maintain a dialogue about How Television Is Done and Why Things Are Done The
Way They're Done.  The business side of it has comprised about 60% of the
discussion from day one.  To answer questions about all the other business
aspects, but pointedly *not* answer them here, goes against the reason I'm
here, and would imply there's something to hide.

      Besides, last I heard, you didn't define the range of what can be
discussed here, that's up to the sysops.  If it's jake by them, it's jake by
me.  The problem is yours.

    23-Jul-97  20:03:03
Sb: #687154-#New Character
Fm: RAE AUGENSTEIN

>> Zathras, <<

"Zathras have many sisters, yes. Zathra. And Zathra, Zathra, and Zathra. Zathra
being very honored to help command Babylon 5 for Army of Light."

<hoo-boy> Could this get funny or what? <g>

        Rae ^^^^

 #: 687848 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    24-Jul-97  20:42:23
Sb: #687319-#New Character
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The Sisters of Zathras...now *there's* a convent worth joining.

    24-Jul-97  04:02:35
Sb: #687398-#Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Fm: HERO GAMES (SUE)

Joe,

My question then is, what about the supposed conversation between CCs agent and
Copeland?  Did this never take place?  is the agent lying?  You said you could
do it, Copeland supposedly said you couldn't.

I refuse to sit here at my computer and make a judgement on anyone.  I don't
know you, I don't know Copeland, I don't know CC, her agent or her business
manager.  You say she quit, she says she was fired.  You say she didn't want on
the show, she says she did.  I am not going to assume that CC is a liar on your
say so, or vice versa.

Sue

 #: 688138 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Jul-97  14:30:28
Sb: #687420-Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The conversation was not fully reported.  If an actor wants to be paid
for 22 episodes, then yes, it is impossible for ANY studio to put in writing
that they will pay for 22 while getting only 16 or 18.  None of them will ever
do that.  Now, if an actor wants to 16-18 and be paid for only 16-18, then
that's another issue.  But the former is not possible, and that was what John
was addressing.  He's kind of gotten a bad rap in this, without cause.

    24-Jul-97  12:04:26
Sb: #687398-#Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Fm: HERO GAMES (SUE)

Joe,

Let me begin with an apology if anything I have said has been misconstrued.
Between an upcoming convention I need to do work for and having my arm in a
brace, my replies have been shorter than I'd like.

My point in this discussion has been twofold.

1.  We as fans do not have even the beginning of enough information to
     render any kind of a judgement in this whole mess, one way or the
     other.

2.  We have been getting conflicting information from different sources
     (primarily you and Claudia), and I am bothered somewhat by the fact
     that there are people who seem to be dissing Claudia because they
     perceive your word to be the be all and end all of the discussion.
     'Joe said it, therefore it must be true.'

If I sounded as if I was venting at you, that was not my intention, nor do I
wish you to think I believe you are spreading any disinformation or are in any
way being dishonest with folks here.

Simply put, as you yourself said, you are telling your point of view.  I don't
expect anything else nor do I think there is anything at all wrong with this.
Claudia has also aired her views her, albeit indirectly, and because she is not
active here (which I don't fault her for), she has not been available to
expound on any commentary as you have.

My problem is that there are definitely some points on which your stories
conflict.  Since I don't think anyone here knows both parties involved, I find
it...I don't know...unfair sounds too strong of a word, really...but it bothers
me that people who don't know Claudia seem to be dismissing her word and her
perspective in favor of yours.  I don't believe either your word *or* hers
should carry more weight with us, or that it's right to assume that because you
are an honest, forthright person that Claudia must not be.  This just seems to
be the impression I'm picking up from a few folks here on the forum (not all
and not even a majority)

The responses I've seen here on this forum have been threefold:

1.  Against you, and that response has been torn into so many tiny
     pieces I didn't think it was worth the time to stomp on what was
     left <g>

2.  Folks who don't think we can make any kind of judgement.

3.  Those who put the blame primarily if not completely on Claudia.

Now from what I understand, you've been getting negative flack from elsewhere
on the net, yet there has been very little here.  The main reason I see for
this from the years I've been lurking is that this is home turf for you where
you have a large fan base.  No, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that <g>.
However, I have noticed that there is a tendency for some folks to immediately
take your side in whatever the argument/discussion is simply because of who you
are.  In this case, it is, IMO, to the detriment of another's character and
reputation.

I, for one, don't see any reason to give more or less weight to your word or
Claudia's.  As I've said, from all I've seen and read, you are both fine people
who are open and honest with folks.  You are both human and have an equal
chance in my eyes of being right or wrong, of making mistakes or
miscommunications, of being biased or totally objective, and of letting yor
feelings on a subject cloud your perspective.

You are a fine writer and I have been a tremendous fan of the show and your
work there since the pilot.  I have the utmost respect for both you and for
Claudia (as well as the rest of the cast and crew) and I applaud the wonderful
story you have given us the honor of sharing with you.  I admit that Ivanova
has always been my favorite character in the show and that not having her
around in fifth season has put a damper on my enthusiasm, but I haven't stopped
being a fan as a result.

I will not, however, make a judgement one way or the other since it would force
me to take your word over hers or vice versa, and I don't feel that anyone here
is in a position to know for sure who is correct and who is not. I don't think
anyone is lying, but I do think too many folks here seem to be reaching that
conclusion, and I would be just as quick to leap to your defense should someone
(besides the one...umm...shall we say inane response?) have laid the blame at
your feet.

<stepping off of the soapbox now <g>>

Sue

 #: 688139 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Jul-97  14:30:31
Sb: #687569-Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I have little to quarrel with in any of that, though I will make the
point that there isn't really *that* much dissimilarity in our reports, as
others have pointed out...it's the behind the scenes stuff and conversations
and dates that get jumbled up in some of the reports.

      It's also a matter of perception...here you perceive that my "side" of
it, if you want to call it that, is getting more support.  But on other nets,
I've gotten a hideous amount of hate mail, and some threats, disguised and
outright.  So it's a matter of what you see, vs. what is.  (Kinda like the
overall situation.)

      Finally...as you say, you have no reason to give more weight to one side
or another in this.  But there is one aspect of this to bear in mind. People
can argue after the fact about how a tossed coin came down, can debate whose
coin it was, whether it was a dime or a quarter, who said what about the ground
it came to rest upon...and no one down the road may have any reason to believe
one report or another...but it *did* come down, and it *did* come down either
heads, or tails.

    24-Jul-97  03:59:06
Sb: #687401-#Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Fm: HERO GAMES (SUE)

Joe,

No offense, but it's your word against hers, and my point is that we don't have
any reason to believe either one of you over the other.  i'm of the opinion
that you are both honest, forthright people from everything I've read. <shrug>

Sue

 #: 688140 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Jul-97  14:30:34
Sb: #687419-Claudia Opts Out-JMS
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"No offense, but it's your word against hers, and my point is that we don't
have any reason to believe either one of you over the other."

      Actually, that's not quite correct.  There were approximately 10 actors
there in Blackpool when all this went down...and they can all verify the
account that I have described in all this.

                                                                    jms

   JMS' practices on CIS. ]

 #: 688143 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Jul-97  14:30:41
Sb: #687660-Tim's Apology
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"I am still of the opinion that this business side of the show should be kept
under wraps and that a simple request for such, on this forum, by yourself
would have dealt with this matter more swiftly."

      (sound effect: hysterical laughter)

      New to the nets, ain'tcha?

    24-Jul-97  09:06:41
Sb: #687406-#Claudia C fired!
Fm: SCOTT BAKER

Joe,

I've been rerading through the messages, both here and in the UseNet forum, and
have come to one, amazing, conclusion.

No matter how much you give, there are some... less than polite people out
there who get mad, and act childish, when things don't go their way.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, being able to interact with you has
been a true joy and pleasure.  Even if there was no B5, I would enjoy talking
with you, but to add B5 into the mix, it makes the experience that is B5 so
much better.

Thank you for Babylon 5.  Thank you for exposing your inner self to us in both
your art, and here on line.  Thank you for standing up for the fans, and
keeping us informed.  And thank you for your hard work and patience.

Please, try to look past the childish threats you've received, and the vile
personal attacks thrown your way about this, and any other situation.

--Scott

 #: 688144 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Jul-97  14:30:43
Sb: #687514-Claudia C fired!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...I'll try.

    24-Jul-97  13:19:04
Sb: #Claudia C fired!
Fm: MORRIS L. GAVANT, M.D.

Oh Great Maker,

Every character but Ivanova has undergone great changes, I presume that her's
were to come now with the challenges and stresses of the battle with Psi
Corp/Earth and her assumption of Army of Light command?

Will the new character be used, more or less, to complete Ivanova's development
or will her thread be dropped?

Will the new character only have a lifespan of nine years?

Whatever it is, I'm sure with your skills and quirks the ride we've been on for
four years will continue unabated into year 5!

By the way, Elvis is still on board in down below.  He was king of rock n roll.
Could he be assistant king/commander?

Cryptic messages not allowed!!

Dr. G
Give MEmphis Tennessee

 #: 688145 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Jul-97  14:30:45
Sb: #687659-Claudia C fired!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Whatever you're drinking, you're either not drinking enough of it or too
much of it.

    24-Jul-97  00:00:52
Sb: #Pathfinder pix?
Fm: HUGH KENNEDY

Hi Joe,

I seem to remember that your CGI people were able to work in some hubble shots
as backcloths for some of the earlier scenes? Is there any chance of featuring
a certain well known piece of Mars territory?

Its just nice to tell sci-fi averse people, ok - its just a story but how can
it be purely sci-fi when the backdrops are real?

Hugh.

 #: 688146 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Jul-97  14:30:48
Sb: #687379-Pathfinder pix?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      We do get lots of Mars shots from the Space folks, and those have been
used in the establishing shots this season.

                                                                    jms

 #: 688147 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Jul-97  14:30:50
Sb: #687477-Scripts;  501/422
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"1) will 501/422 have season 4 or 5 title screens?"

      It will be a season 4 title sequence.

"2) since you're shooting S5 straight through, is it going to cost less money?"

      No, we're not shooting any differently than we ever do.  We always start
in the Summer, usually July, then have a one week hiatus midway toward
Christmas, then there's the Christmas break, then we come back in January, and
shoot through to the conclusion with one more one-week hiatus, which are given
to keep from burning out the crew.  TNT will be airing them straight through,
without breaks for reruns, so we're going to have everything done ASAP to meet
those deadlines.

                                                                    jms

 [ Continued in next section -- BB ]