JMS on CompuServe (Jun 03, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Wed Jun 4 01:29:53 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #673810-Minbari Rangers
    Sb: #673820-Lorien
    Sb: #673843-<Vital Powers>
    Sb: #673947-<EVP Review>
    Sb: #674030-News on Pilot/2ndy Chars

 #: 673810 S5/Babylon 5: General
    02-Jun-97  20:12:53
Sb: #Minbari Rangers
Fm: JOHN L. FJELLSTAD

Are there any Minbari rangers, or are all the Rangers human?

John
 WARPing CIS

 #: 673996 S5/Babylon 5: General
    03-Jun-97  14:19:45
Sb: #673810-Minbari Rangers
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       We've shown Minbari rangers from the first time we introduced the
concept.

    02-Jun-97  21:43:41
Sb: #Lorien
Fm: BURHAAN  AHMAD

Joe, something's been bugging me about the show lately.  As I watched the last
8 eps together, I couldn't help but feel like some elements of the story were
being hurried.  For example, the Lorien character.  When you first introduced
him, it seemed to me that you were going to explore a lot of questions--who he
really is, what he means when he says he's THE first one, what his relationship
with the Vorlons and Shadows is, what he meant when he said he met Kosh before,
etc.,.

Then suddenly, Poof!  The Shadow war is over and Lorien is gone. I don't mean
to fan any rumors about no 5th season, but did you decide to drop some threads,
or save them for the other B5 projects?  The end of the Shadow War made for a
spectacular ep, but it also left me thinking, "Wait!  I still have questions!"

 _____    _____
   --->ba<---
     /    \

 #: 673997 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    03-Jun-97  14:19:47
Sb: #673820-Lorien
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       See, Burhaan, this is what makes me nuts.

       When we have shows like "Rumors" or "Epiphanies" lots of people post
message saying, "What's wrong with the show, it was going great and now it's
slowed down."  Then we have a show like "Fire" or "Surrender" and then lots of
people start posting messages saying "What's wrong with the show, it's going
too fast."

       It's like having a driver sitting behind you in the car alternately
saying "Speed up!  Slow down!  Faster!  Slower!"

       Yes, some threads have been isolated from year 5 a bit, but all in the
accelleration has not been overmuch; year 4 would've ended at 418 in the
original notes, so you're only looking at 4 episodes difference.

       This is the latter part of the story no matter how you look at it; so
you have to start speeding things up a bit in places because that's what the
latter half of a novel is *for*.  Let's all remember basic literature 101:
introduction, rising action, complication, climax and denouement.  It gets
tenser and faster the deeper you get into it.

       Why this is striking people as unexpected is utterly beyond me.

    02-Jun-97  23:38:52
Sb: #<Vital Powers>
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Joe,

    Just viewed 416 and found it a very interesting change of pace: a very
relaxed and eerie sort of story.  And I especially liked the use of Garibaldi's
voiceovers.  They had a sense of the old detective shows, and I'm a sucker for
those stories.

    I found Franklin's reaction to the off-camera revelation very troubling.
And a very frightening thought came to mind. Please don't tell me that Sheridan
is dangerous or fool enough to go looking for some of those buried Shadow ships
and use his telepaths to pilot them against Clark.

    And it was very clever the way Garibaldi figured out how to find David
Sheridan via the drugs.  But it was also very obvious. I'm amazed none of the
intelligence or investigative people back on Earth were able to do the same
thing.  Or were they?

    Edgars' miracle drug is actually a poison or virus, eh?  He really is
afraid of the telepaths, which makes me think that Bester's little tweaking of
Garibaldi's mind was because Bester saw this coming.

    BTW, is Sheridan off-station now for the rest of the season? (And I don't
*even* want to think about what he was doing out in space in this episode...
*shiver*)

  -- Brent

 #: 673998 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    03-Jun-97  14:19:49
Sb: #673843-<Vital Powers>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Yeah, it's a very different feel...leisurely, in a way, but no less
tense.  A good addition to the mix.

    03-Jun-97  10:09:49
Sb: #<EVP Review>
Fm: KRISTI FEREBEE

WOW! This was one of the best episodes in a while. A lot of very disturbing
half-revelations and implications, but not nearly enough real revelations.

*I found Edgar's sick little laboratory absolutely horrifying. Is this where
technology is heading? Are we going to abolish animal testing only to have
corporations start doing human testing? The way Edgars acted like his test
subjects weren't even _human_ . . . I just shivered.

*Is this little lab of horrors the truth that Edgars is going to show Garibaldi
when he brings Sheridan in? If so, than this might prove to be Garibaldi's
Point of No Return- if he goes along with this, he really doesn't even have a
hint of the old MG in him. Strange, because at times during this episode it
almost seemed like pre-Z'Ha'Dum Garibaldi was back with us. (i.e. when he was
talking to Lise. Also in the voiceovers.)

*Seems to me that there were two main areas that Garibaldi was altered in:
Loyalty to B5 and feelings towards telepaths. This puzzles me, considering that
from our viewpoint he was held prisoner by PsiCorps. Why would they have wanted
him to hate telepaths? Or is he a plant in Edgars' organization, with the
PsiCorps watching through his brain or something?

*Exactly what _is_ Sheridan planning to do with the telepaths on B5? I heard
mentioned in another post in this forum that maybe he'd use them to reactivate
buried Shadow ships to fight against Clark. As much as I'd like to ignore this
theory, it would make sense since Franklin and Lyta are going to Mars. I don't
believe Frankling would go along with this, though. I want to KNOW, though!
Vague hints are NOT enough to satisfy my frustrated curiousity. One thing:
Wouldn't Franklin be obligated to tell Lyta what she's reviving her "comrades"
for? She is getting involved, she has a right to know.

*Whatever this top-secret telepath project of SHeridan's is, does Delenn
approve? In the past, she has tended to be more sensitive to consequences and
ethics than he has. ("The only way we're going to win this is to think like
them . . ." "_Think_ _Like_ _Them_?!" "Yes," "_No!_") Will Delenn even find out
before Garibaldi takes Sheridan to Mars?

*I think that Garibaldi and Edgars have been a little naive in assuming that
Clark would keep SHeridan alive for a trial. True, Clark would begin to put on
the pretense of a trial, but who's gonna stop him from hiring a loyal
brainwashed Earther to become a crazed assassin? Bang, he's dead, Clark is
distressed and upset and all, but bingo! His problem is solved and his reign
can continue without public dissent.

* On the commercial: But who's really in control? That's what I'd like to know.
PsiCorps, Shadowfriends, Clark, or an unknown enemy? Whatever _really_ Happened
to Mr. Garibaldi?

*What's up with our old friend Mr. Bester on the trailers? He looks mildly
distressed. (Although if those people in the Little Lab of Horrors were
telepaths, I can very much understand that.) It's going to be hard to
sympathize with him after what he did to Lyta.

That's all I have! Questions, comments, rude statements all accepted.

:-) :-) Kristi
"Trust Ivanova, trust yourselves, anyone else- shoot 'em."

 #: 674074 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    03-Jun-97  18:16:04
Sb: #673947-<EVP Review>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Actually, Garibaldi's said he doesn't trust telepaths ever since the
pilot movie.  It's a question of degrees at this point.

                                                                       jms

 #: 674075 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    03-Jun-97  18:18:31
Sb: #674030-News on Pilot/2ndy Chars
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I've been here since 1984/85...I have always been here.