JMS on CompuServe (Jun 16, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Mon Jun 16 03:09:32 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #677168-#<Face of the Enemy>
    Sb: #677433-#Face of the Enemy
    Sb: #677470-#Face of the Enemy
    Sb: #677443-<Face of the Enemy>
    Sb: #677448-<FotE> Holy $#%!
    Sb: #677439-New FX...
    Sb: #677441-Face - congrats
    Sb: #677608-Ivanovas  'Talent'
    Sb: #677606-#<Face of the Enemy>

   responsible for Edgars' death. ]

 #: 677521 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    15-Jun-97  01:48:48
Sb: #677168-#<Face of the Enemy>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Also, Wade specificially says Lise wasn't there when they got back, so
that eliminates her from the scenario.

      BTW...there's apparently going to be a positive review of 418,
"Intersections in Real Time" in the Monday USA Today.  I haven't seen it yet,
though, so don't know what spoilers it may contain.

    14-Jun-97  19:34:46
Sb: #677386-#Face of the Enemy
Fm: TOM KNUDSEN

Joe,

        <I've now watched it at least a dozen times in finished form, and it
still works for me.>

        I agree.  It was a great episode.  I have to ask though, was someone
INTENTIONALLY trying to make me remember scenes from other movies, or am I just
imagining it.
        I noticed two lines from the episode that STRONGLY reminded me of A Few
Good Men.  When Ivanova says "I STRONGLY object" the inflection was almost spot
on for when Demi Moore's character says it during the trial after her initial
objection is denied.  And when Garibaldi says "I want the TRUTH" to Edgars, I
truly expected Edgars to reply in his best Jack Nicholson, "You can't HANDLE
the truth."  Maybe it's just me.  Maybe the cast was conciously or unconciously
projecting on those two lines.  I don't know.
        Also, there's a shot of the hallway, with Bester and Harlan.  There's a
man that walks towards the camera and closes the door.  This is almost
identical to the last scene of The Godfather (it was on Showtime last night)
when the man closes the door on Michael and his men.  The pacing of both scenes
was just SOOOOOO close.
        I don't normally see moments of B5 as being a reference to another show
or movie, but these two things just stood out to me.

                                                Tom^^^^

 #: 677673 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    15-Jun-97  14:44:10
Sb: #677433-#Face of the Enemy
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Nope.  You're just seeing what you've seen before as your point of
reference.  We don't tend to do that intentionally.  We're in Rohrscharch
territory here.

    14-Jun-97  22:27:36
Sb: #677386-#Face of the Enemy
Fm: MARA K. MALOVANY

>>Thanks...I agree that it's probably one of the best we've done.  I've now
watched it at least a dozen times in finished form, and it still works for
me.<<

        I've lost count of how many times I've watched it since it aired last
night.
        I don't cry very often at B5, but this one really got me.  Everyone has
already commended you on the lighting and filming techniques, and I agree, they
really took it to a different level, away from the usual sf "gee, the captain's
in danger."
        But mainly what got me was Garibaldi's awakening.  For him to remain
brainwashed was the worst fate I could imagine.  So, in spite of the sheer
magnitude of the hole he's been dropped into (wouldn't be fair to use the
phrase 'hole he's dug himself into'), I'm just so glad that he has his memory,
his *self* back.
        So there I was, crying, and laughing at the same time.  Because, no
matter how bad things are and are going to get, he's alive again.

Mara

 #: 677674 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    15-Jun-97  14:44:11
Sb: #677470-#Face of the Enemy
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yep...and he's bugged, and we'll see where *that* goes.

                                                                    jms

 #: 677675 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    15-Jun-97  14:44:14
Sb: #677443-<Face of the Enemy>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      There's a web page with the full text; don't have the info at hand.

                                                                    jms

   it looks like a Prisoner-esque episode. ]

 #: 677676 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    15-Jun-97  14:44:16
Sb: #677448-<FotE> Holy $#%!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Nope, not a Prisoner homage at all, in any way.

                                                                    jms

   the result of new technology and/or hardware. ]

 #: 677677 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    15-Jun-97  14:44:18
Sb: #677439-New FX...
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Nope, just the constant striving for perfection that is typical of all
our production elements.  We get better or we die.

                                                                    jms

 #: 677678 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    15-Jun-97  14:44:20
Sb: #677441-Face - congrats
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Zimbalist did a great job for us...he took huge gobs of exposition and
not only delivered them, he made them interesting.

    15-Jun-97  09:19:56
Sb: #Ivanovas  'Talent'
Fm: COLIN HEAPS

Hi!
In order to avoid the withdrawal symptoms of waiting for S4 in the UK I have
been watching the series from the pilot onwards again.  Working through the
videos, a thought came to mind, ( a dangerous thing I know <g>), about Ivanova
and her "Talent".
>From what we've seen so far, she can access things in the great machine that
Draal says no human should be able to do, I also noticed in Divided Loyalties,
when she finally did agree to the control password probe, Lyta at first had a
hard job getting through her block, then, when she did, it seemed to have taken
quite a bit out of her, (gave her a headache from the looks of it).

 Now, assuming to big "IF's"  - IF season 5 is a go and IF Claudia agrees to
stay for S5, will her talent be explored in any depth, or is it just a
character trait, she has it but no-one will know to what level it goes?

Of course I fully expect a koshism for an answer <bg>.

Cheers,
ColKai

 #: 677704 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-Jun-97  16:43:14
Sb: #677608-Ivanovas  'Talent'
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      That element of her personality will come in to play eventually; there
ain't much waste on this show.

                                                                    jms

   didn't do much worse to someone planning the extinction of all teeps
   than they did to someone who just killed some of them. ]

 #: 677705 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    15-Jun-97  16:43:16
Sb: #677606-#<Face of the Enemy>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Also, they wanted it to look like it was done by the Resistance; too much
"attention" to his death would've drawn attention to the Corps.