JMS on CompuServe (Jun 30, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Mon Jun 30 15:50:29 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #681227-Babylon 5
    Sb: #681095-#B5 - tnt and WB
    Sb: #681096-B5 on ET 5th Season Info
    Sb: #681168-#Garibaldi
    Sb: #681178-#E.T.'s announcement
    Sb: #681228-Congrats and  Questions
    Sb: JMS in Seattle July 4th
    Sb: #681319-Updates from jms
    Sb: #681464-#B5 - tnt and WB
    Sb: #681350-E.T.'s announcement
    Sb: #681397-Congratulations & Thanks
    Sb: #681491-You the man
    Sb: #681525-#Sweeping Question
    Sb: #681550-Directing big screen

   submissions. ]

 #: 681259 S5/Babylon 5: General
    28-Jun-97  15:59:09
Sb: #681227-Babylon 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, the movies are TNT only for now...and we're fully booked on stories.

    28-Jun-97  04:17:03
Sb: #680999-#B5 - tnt and WB
Fm: ANNE L. WARNER

Joe,

As soon as you can comment, would you please tell us who at TNT we should send
our thank you's to?  (Ouch, what an awkward sentence!)

We heard both the ET blurb and Harlan's interview on Snyder.  Harlan was right,
we were dong handstands.  And cheers, and bravos, and oles.  We've already been
enjoying PTEN's other orphan, Kung Fu, TLC, on TNT, so adding B5 will be all
joy.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou.

Anne

 #: 681260 S5/Babylon 5: General
    28-Jun-97  15:59:11
Sb: #681095-#B5 - tnt and WB
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks should probably be conveyed to Brad Siegel, president of TNT, who
fought hard to get the show, initially beating the Sci-Fi Channel out in a
bidding war for the reruns, and who believes very strongly in what we're doing
for the future.

                                                                    jms

 #: 681261 S5/Babylon 5: General
    28-Jun-97  15:59:14
Sb: #681096-B5 on ET 5th Season Info
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The prequel/pilot pair up is slated to air in January.

    28-Jun-97  06:42:10
Sb: #Garibaldi
Fm: PHIL LENTON

Is is true that Jerry Doyle does not appear in the TNT TV movies?  I apologise
in advance if you've already answered this question.

Thank you.

 #: 681262 S5/Babylon 5: General
    28-Jun-97  15:59:16
Sb: #681168-#Garibaldi
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      We weren't able to work out a deal with Jerry for the two movies, but he
will be in the fifth season, and a third TV movie which TNT has indicated
they'd like us to do.

                                                                    jms

   nothing new about Babylon 5. ]

 #: 681263 S5/Babylon 5: General
    28-Jun-97  15:59:17
Sb: #681178-#E.T.'s announcement
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It's next week's issue, for July 5.

                                                                    jms

   length as the PTEN episodes. ]

 #: 681264 S5/Babylon 5: General
    28-Jun-97  15:59:20
Sb: #681228-Congrats and  Questions
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Future episodes would be the same running time as the current versions.

    30-Jun-97  03:49:01
Sb: JMS in Seattle July 4th
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      BTW, a quick note to all in the Pacific Northwest...I'm slated to be one
of the Guests of Honor at Westercon in Seattle over the coming (4th) weekend,
so I'll see you there.

                                                                    jms

 #: 681709 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-Jun-97  04:02:41
Sb: #681319-Updates from jms
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, the ball cap is the same one he wore at batting practice.  (Wore it
today, in fact, meeting Neil Gaiman and Harlan for dinner.)

    29-Jun-97  05:06:45
Sb: #681260-#B5 - tnt and WB
Fm: ANNE L. WARNER

Joe,

 >>  initially beating the Sci-Fi Channel out in a bidding war for the reruns,
<<

If never occurred to me that there might have been competition!  Wow!  It
wouldn't have mattered to me which channel you went to, but TNT has much wider
exposure than Sci-Fi, so I'm glad for you.  (And also for Dupa, and all the
others who grouch about the lack of the Sci-Fi Channel on their cable systems.
<chuckle>)

I will definitely send off a note.

I just read the DreamWatch interview where you outlined the plans for Crusade.
I can't wait.  Well, I can, but it will be very, very hard.

Oh!!  Does this mean that your (you the entire organization) residuals will
actually bring in some money?

Thanks again.  For the series.  For fighting to make and keep it so excellent.
For including us in the process.

Anne

 #: 681710 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-Jun-97  04:02:43
Sb: #681464-#B5 - tnt and WB
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...and cable residuals are only a fraction of regular, broadcast
residuals.

                                                                    jms

   on Crusade?" ]

 #: 681712 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-Jun-97  04:02:48
Sb: #681350-E.T.'s announcement
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      One heart attack at a time, please....

                                                                    jms

   the fans both on the Net and on television. ]

 #: 681713 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-Jun-97  04:02:50
Sb: #681397-Congratulations & Thanks
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thank *you*...because the story exists to be told to you.  Thank you for
being there.

    29-Jun-97  07:47:43
Sb: #You the man
Fm: NEIL BLEVINS

Just wanted to send my congratulations. You've finally done it, a full 5
seasons of Bab5. Personally I think it'll be interesting to see how the plot
goes from here, it really looked like you were going to end the series in 4.
Some friends are afraid you're just going to throw in filler for a whole
season, but I have a feeling the arc will be going through a few major turns
before we finally see the end. Keep up the great work, but more importantly,
take some time to revel in your victory.

- Neil

 #: 681714 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-Jun-97  04:02:53
Sb: #681491-You the man
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I've just spent the better part of the evening laying out the basic
structure of S5, uncorking all the notes I set aside for 5 in case we got the
renewal, playing off the themes and incidents we brought up in year 4...and
believe me, filler it *ain't*.

      And thanks.....

    29-Jun-97  11:38:45
Sb: #Sweeping Question
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Joe,

    Do you happen to know off-hand if TNT will continue the same pattern of
new/repeat/new/repeat that WB/PTEN used?  I haven't, in the past, watched TNT
enough to know, but do they follow the same ratings sweeps practices as other
networks?

    I realize that production limitations will certainly require that they show
*some* repeats during the season, but, if I'm not mistaken, WB/PTEN's pattern
was unusual in the industry, since most networks still run some new shows
outside of sweeps.

Thanks,

  -- Brent

 #: 681715 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-Jun-97  04:02:54
Sb: #681525-#Sweeping Question
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      They want to show it straight through, no repeats.

                                                                    jms

   belt, would you reconsider [making theatrical movies] if you could
   both write and direct?" ]

 #: 681716 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-Jun-97  04:02:57
Sb: #681550-Directing big screen
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Don' wanna direct no movie.  Wanna live.  Writer.  Not director.