JMS IRC chat LOG : TNT IRC server

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Mon Jun 30 22:11:44 EDT 1997

Forwarded message to B5JMS list.
Originally From: gevron at ibm.net (ge)

Here is the log for the jms chat that took place today at 9 PM EST
on TNT's IRC server chat.turner.com

			Gadi Evron
			ge

Session Start: Mon Jun 30 19:40:06 1997
* Logging #roughcut to: [#roughcut.log]
*** Moderator sets mode: +v JMS
Session Start: Mon Jun 30 19:45:30 1997
Session Close: Mon Jun 30 19:45:31 1997

<Moderator> Welcome to your own private Hollywood...
   www.RoughCut.com
<Moderator> -
<Moderator> -
<Moderator> -
<Moderator> You can start sending questions to the moderator now.
<Moderator> Remember to send al questions to the moderator.
<pato> Please address your questions to Moderator
<pato> use /msg Moderator Ask a question here?
*** pato changes topic to "#B5-/msg Moderator with questions."
<pato> Thanks for all the great questions folks.
<pato> We are compiling them for the man.
<pato> Please don't msg us multiple times with the same question.
<pato> Please don't msg me at all :)
<JMS> On behalf of TNT, please welcome J. Michael Straczynski.
   We'd like to announce that TNT will host the fifth season
   beginning January 1998.
<Moderator> How do you like the change from Warner BRos. to TNT
<Moderator> ?
<JMS> It's been a very satisfying and rewarding transition
   period. Forthe first time we feel we have a defint home a
   reguar timeslot , a concerted PR campaign and a group of execs
   that genuinely like the show. We think that TNT is the best
   possible home for TNT and everyone is veryexcited about it.
<Moderator> Exactly when wil season 5 start?
<JMS> TNT tells us that Jan 1998 would be the start date for
   season 5.
<Moderator> What story lines will take place in season five?
<JMS> That would be telling...
<Moderator> Starting the fifth year how similar is the story line
   to your original conception?
<JMS> Very similar. You must understand that all that was
   required was to slide 4 or 5 episoes from season 5 to season 4
   as a hedge against cancellation. Season 4 would have ended on
   interesections in real time. Therefore you've only pulled 4
   epsiodes forward. season 5 which cocerns itself with empire
   buiding is antural outgrowth of season 4 and thus tracks very
   cosely to what i always I had in mind.
<Moderator> What's the deal with the TV guide beards?
<JMS> We asked Claudia to shave her beard for the photo we knew
   that this would be a cotroversial move, but we felt it was
   good for her character. As for where these new beards came
   from on Sheridan and Garibaldi -- keep watching.
<Moderator> We know how you like merchandising, but would you
   consider letting some out?
<JMS> We have been releasing som merchandise in a slow, gradual
   controlled fashion. My caoncern is not doing too much too fast
   so that we lose quality control . At this point I am just
   releasing the stuff that I feel is cool and which  wuld like
   to own There will be more down the road, but my emphasis for
   now should be telling the story, not selling the toys.
<Moderator> What was the spark that gave you the original idea
   for B5?
<JMS> It cam from wanting to do a saga for TV along the lines of
   such printed sagas as Childhood's End the fOUNDATION BOOKS,
   lORD OF TH rINGS and the Lensman books. It would be impossible
   to do ay of those ofr TV because f the scae involved s I eed
   ot find a way to create a home base where the stores would
   come to you instead of going o ut in search of the stories.
   This led me to a space station and the rest of thew story took
   off from there.
<Moderator> Why do you describe yourself as an athiest and not an
   agnostic?
<JMS> Because it's more accurate. Agnostic is a fence-sitter and
   I think if you get in your car you want to have some
   reasonable idea of where you;re going and not fdrive around
   hoping that your destination might exist. It works for me,
   though mileage may vary.
<Moderator> Do you ever plan to release a novelization of the
   series?
<JMS> One heart attack at a time please.
<Moderator> Once you have completed your five day art, are you
   going to take a vacation?
<JMS> You betcha.
<Moderator> Once you have completed you five year arc?
<JMS> You betcha,
<Moderator> Can we expect to see the Vorlon home world, now that
   it's been vacated and that we have seen the end of Z'ha'dum?
<JMS> Bear in mind, that if you realy saw the Vorlon home world
   it would be too much for the uman mind to comphrehend leading
   therefore to outbreaks of mass destruction, hysteria and group
   psychosis. Therefore for the good of the commonweal ww will
   never show the Vorlon homeworld too closely but we may show it
   from afar. This has been a public service announcement.
<Moderator> What do you think of the hype surrounding gays in
   television when B5 has a bisexual character whose rarely ever
   mentioned in the press?
<JMS> The difference is we don't tend to explit these things. We
   feel that prsenting a variety of lifestyles and philosophies
   and points of view reflect the common coin of our hsared
   humanity and none of those profit from being pointed a like
   animals in a zoo. They simply are.
<Moderator> What would you say is the single biggest boo-boo
   you've made in the series, since artist/writers are generally
   their own toughest critics?
<JMS> Showing up to work without my pants on. Sadly no one
   noticed.
<Moderator> Will there be a spin off series, B5 Crusade?
<JMS> There are currently discussions and negotiations concerning
   a possible spin-off but nothing has yet been formalized.
<Moderator> You seem to use what your audience expects to happen
   against them quite alot.  Is this intentional in referring to
   you belief that a little knowledge is more dangerous than none?
<JMS> As a story teller I've tried to incorpoate a kind of
   martial arts approach to story telling where rather han using
   your opponent's strength against them yu use the audience's
   expectations against themseves. Sheridan was initially
   perceived as a lightweight, frivolous character. Deliberately
   playing int the expectations based on te actor's orevious
   roles and the sudiences expectations. We then dropped him and
   the audience on their respective heads.
<Moderator> How much does it help you as a story writer to be in
   such close contact with your fans?
<JMS> It is a mixed blessing. It is gratifying to have te
   immediate and vocal response. It is horrifying to ge the
   immediate and vocal response. There are times it is an angelic
   choir and there are other times when they are a herd of lions.
   Needless to say everyone who showed upt for today's chat is a
   cutie.
<Moderator> Why was Stewart Copland's musical score dropped from
   the regular series?
<JMS> Stewart wanted to tour. Ad do some albums. Which percluded
   a long time commitment to B5.
<Moderator> Where did your inspiration for the Minbari religious
   train of thought come from?
<JMS> It's a mixture of very, very old Christian practices mixed
   in with Zen buddhism and a healthy dollop of Greek philosophy.
<Moderator> What is your favorite episode to date?
<JMS> The Face of the Enemy
<Moderator> Are you upset about how many people have but things
   from B5 on the web?
<JMS> No, not really.
<Moderator> Why not let Sheridan confess via a program like the
   one in planet in Garibaldi?
<JMS> because confessing once is not the issue. breaking him is
   the issue. Any good telepath P8 or above could determine that
   he had been altered Thereby negating the principle the
   government's trying to establish that their will is stronger
   than the will of any one person. You coud chop off a person's
   arm but that desn't prove you're stronger than they are.
<Moderator> Sonic Images has been hinting at the near release of
   a new B5 CD, any comments?
<JMS> The composer and I are working toward releasing a series of
   CDs whic each contain the3 coundtracks for compete episodes so
   there would be a severed dreams soundtrack, a shadow danicng
   soundtrack and so on.
<Moderator> If you could bring ANY character back from the dead,
   who would it be and why?
<JMS> Sherloch Holmes.
<Moderator> Will season five be as dark as season four?
<JMS> No. The darkness in season 4 is required to set up the
   triumphs that are ye to come. You cannot have dawn without
   night preceding.
<Moderator> Has any of the vision Kosh sent to Sheridan 'come to
   pass?'  I don't think any of it has...
<JMS> Yes it has.
<Moderator> "Intersections in Real Time" is similair to that
   classic Twilight Zone where the Librarian is deemed redundant.
    Is there some little bit of that in "Intersections" where the
   Society is imposing its view on the individual?
<JMS> No. It stems from the current day treatment of poitcal
   prisoners and prisoners of conscience throughout many
   countries which has been going on for hudreds of years. So
   what you're seeng is the common voice of these real events not
    a reference to any one particular show.
<Moderator> Can you tell us about any of your moments of
   revelation?
<JMS> Not while I'm sober no, and unfortunately I don't drink.
<Moderator> Any plans to release B5 on video?
<JMS> Columbia House will be releasing tapes through mail order
   ater this year.
<Moderator> Will there be outside writers on season five?
<JMS> Most definitely.
<Moderator> What is "thirdspace"?
<JMS> Watch the movie and find out ths coming spring.
<Moderator> Will lightwave 3-D still be do the effects?
<JMS> For any effects yes although we are bradening out our
   effects pallette to include a wide range of other options
   including bringing in a number of Silicone Graphics arrays.
<Moderator> "Please tell me you will allow the song from
   Walkabout to be released sometime in the future?"
<JMS> No. Bugger off.
<Moderator> Does striking the sets for "In The Beginning" pose
   any problems for the regular sets in season 5? Or perhaps does
   it make some improvements possible when re-building the
   standing sets?
<JMS> No problem. No difference. We put em up we knock em down we
   put em up we knock em down. Consider it a metaphor for every
   new Italian government.
<Moderator> what's this business in tv guide about blowing up the
   station and returning to earth?
<JMS> 'm appalled. Horrified. Chagrined. What was the question
   again.
<Moderator> Was the Agamemnon crew in on Sheridan's capture, or
   was it coincidence?
<JMS> They were not involved.
<Moderator> "What was the song playing in the background when
   Sheridan was captured.  Did you write it?"
<JMS> No I didn't write it That came from our composer and I
   don't know the name offhand.
<Moderator> Will Sleeping in the Light be aired with Season 4 on
   FOX, or 5 on TNT?
<JMS> We've never been a Fox show though some fox stations have
   carried it. At this juncture SITL will air as 522 on TNT.
<Moderator> In the B5 universe, do porn flicks involve spoo?
<JMS> You are a thick twisted demented individual, please marry
   me.
<Moderator> In "Intersections in Real Time" was Sheridan
   hallucinating Delenn, or just concentrating on her?
<JMS> He was hallucinating her presence which became an
   inspiration to him.
<Moderator> Did you enjoy working on Murder She Wrote and does
   Cabot Cove really exist?
<JMS> Yes Cabot Cove really exists. Unfortuantely everyone who
   lives there is now dead. IT'S A STUDIO LOT! My time on MSW was
   a great deal of fun and I loved working with Angela.
<Moderator> In today's navy the "Pollux" is a non-combatant ship
   operated by civilians, so why name a battle ship the Pollux?
<JMS> To annoy you.
<Moderator> I loved the hard edged feel of "The Face of the
   Enemy". Any plans on doing more eps like that?
<JMS> You betcha.
<Moderator> Will any changes with production take place when the
   move is made to TNT?
<JMS> Yes. We're planning to substitute sock puppets for all the
   actors. On the theory that socks have been a vastly overlooked
   part of our culture and are tired of being walked on.
<Moderator> Was Sheridans hallucination an accidental fulfillment
   of Loriens lesson-Do you have anything worth living for?
<JMS> That's one way of looking at it.
<Moderator> Will we see David (John and Delenn's Baby?
<JMS> Good chance.
<Moderator>  Do you ever forsee B5 becoming as big of a commodity
   as Star Trek?  Would you WANT it to?Will we see David (John
   and Delenn's Baby?
<JMS> First question is for history to decide. The second
   question is beyond my power to envision right now.
<Moderator> Can JMS tell us where he got the idea for "Markab's"?
<JMS> NOT from Scientology.
<Moderator> Will there ever be a closer relation between B5 and
   Babylon (the original empire)??
<JMS> Given the 2000 year gulf between them I'd guess probably
   not.
<Moderator> Did you know what the new Gene Rodenberry final
   conflict series has a five year arc?
<JMS> No I didn't. But I'm more than happy tha we can be an
   inspiration to them as we have for many recent Star Trek
   episodes.
<Moderator> When you had the time to read comic books -- or
   graphic novels -- what were your favorites?
<JMS> Manily the DC books. Superman, Batman, Justice League and
   The Flash.
<Moderator> Do you still have plans for the 'sequel' to Ellison's
   ...w/the Glass Hand?
<JMS> It's a possibiity.
<Moderator> Will you deal with the story of how the Babylon
   Project was formed (and by who) during season 5... or ever?
<JMS> Eventually, but not in the near future.
<Moderator> Will Dilbert, Dogbert, Catbert, Ratbert and the
   dinosaurs ever appear on Babylon 5 or it's sequel?
<JMS> Nobert.
<Moderator> Have we seen the last of Talia Winters?
<JMS> You betcha.
<Moderator> Are there stories that you find too subversive that
   you would have like to have told on B5?
<JMS> No, everything I've wanted to do we've done. You can't be
   too subversive. They told me to say that.
<Moderator> When will we find out who, "the one that is to come,"
   is who will lead the great council?
<JMS> When he comes.
<Moderator> Could you have the Nelson's do a cameo on B5 so you
   could MMMMBop them out an airlock?
<JMS> That would require placing them in a vacuum which would be
   redundant.
<Moderator> How did you come to case Claudia Christain?
<Moderator> cast
<JMS> She was the best person to walk in the door.
<Moderator> Will we ever find out what Mordens "black crystal"
   necklace was for, or will it just become another part of the
   Shadow's legacy?
<JMS> That information is contained in the B5 novel, The Shadow
   Within no. 7.
<Moderator> Was replacing Sinclair with Sheridan a tough call for
   you?
<JMS> No. It opened up many new areas for us.
<Moderator> WIll Harlan Ellison play more cameo roles?
<JMS> Not since the petition arrived.
<Moderator> What is going to happen with the Drahk?
<JMS> Wait and see.
<Moderator> What will become of the Keepers like the one on the
   regent to Cenauri Prime?
<JMS> Logically, like any seal of office it would devolve upon
   his successor.
<Moderator>  Will YOU play a cameo role?
<Moderator> Will we discover more about Bureau 13 during the
   remaining run of the show?
<JMS> This remains to be seen.
<JMS> Bureau 13: No, B13 has been renamed and subsumed into other
   organizatons.
<Moderator> Will we see more alien (non human) races?
<JMS> Yes.
<Moderator> Will we ever see who is the real conroller of John
   Clark?
<JMS> At this point Clark is on his own.
<Moderator> Will a war between humans and telepaths (as predicted
   by Lyta Alexander) take place during season 5?
<JMS> Could be.
<Moderator> What about the remaining episodes in season 4?  Will
   they air via TNT?
<JMS> The last 4 episodes of season 4 will air in October on your
   local syndicated station.
<Moderator> Will we see more of Drall in the great machine of
   Epsilon?
<JMS> Given that the actor is doing Hello Dolly on Broadway,
   Drall is temporarily held prisoner to Dolly's wishes. Zathra's
   very annoyed.
<Moderator> Will we see IronHeart ever again?  Did he go to the
   same place as the First Ones and Lorien
<JMS> No and yes.
<Moderator> What are you thoughts about the Governments reason
   for Roswell?
<JMS> Being part of the conspiracy myself, I cannot tell you. But
   expect any day now, for the pentagon to rise up into space. I
   bet you thought the Death Star was made up.
<Moderator> Have you ever been abducted by aliens?
<JMS> Not counting some very unusual lunches with the cast behind
   the stage and a couple of dates I had back in college -- where
   I did inhale. Not that I can remember, but memort loss is
   proof of abduction. So basically I'm screwed.
<JMS> Thank you on behalf of J. Michael Stacryzski for your
   continued support of B5 and he looks forward to seeing you all
   on TNT next year, Good night.
<Moderator> Coming to TNT in January of 1998,  Babylon 5.
<Moderator> -
<Moderator> -
<Moderator> Also, be sure to check www.RoughCut.com for the
   transcript tomorrow.
<Moderator> -
<Moderator> -
<Moderator> Thanks for your participation.
<Moderator> This channel will now go back to normal chat mode.
<Moderator> -
<Moderator> --
<Moderator> -
<Moderator> Enjoy.