JMS on CompuServe (May 06, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at REMOVEspeedlink.com bbarrett at REMOVEspeedlink.com
Tue May 6 20:41:41 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #667033-<Die Hard Conflicts>
    Sb: #667104-this week's ep, no spoil
    Sb: #667157-Attn JMS: Islam on B5
    Sb: #667170-Homosexuality
    Sb: #667046-<Conflicts of Interest >
    Sb: #667049-White Star 16, a lemon?

 #: 667033 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    05-May-97  20:06:38
Sb: #<Die Hard Conflicts>
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Joe,

    412 was certainly a fast paced, action-packed episode.  But it had a couple
of very interesting elements as well, I think.  As it was mostly a Garibaldi
episode, they nearly all touch on the former security chief.

    As I was watching the Daffy Duck cartoon, I wondered, "Given how hard it is
to fit all the good stuff into the forty some-odd minutes of a given episode,
why is Joe leaving this thing on for so long?"  Well, as I paid attention to
what was going on in the cartoon, I could see the little parallel you were
drawing.  Cute.  Daffy was being manipulated by some unseen power and was going
nuts trying to figure out who or what it was. Did you simply remember that
cartoon, did you look for it, or was it just coincidence?  (I know, I know,
"There are no coincidences.")

    And what kind of drugs were you on when you asked for those (not-so-)stock
external CGI shots?  I mean, when I saw the first one, I said, "Neat."  Then we
get two or three more in odd perspectives. Sheesh!  :-)

    When you showed the flashback to Lise and Garibaldi on Mars, it didn't feel
quite right.  Without going back to "Babylon Squared" to check, I think it's a
different scene.  If so, why?  Different actor for Lise?  Or did you want to
get the *real* farewell, not the one with an unstuck Garibaldi?

    Does this telepath virus happen to have any connection to the spin off?
:-)

    Wade was very strange in this one.  He clearly seemed a thug in 410, but
here he seems almost like a good guy.  Very strange.  There is certainly more
than one power at work here (isn't there always?).

    I think Sheridan was justified in his actions in both cases.  He's
absolutely right that Garibaldi should have been treated like any other officer
who resigned.  And he's equally right in his reaction to Garibaldi's "Die Hard"
reckless run through the station.  After the bad blood they've been through, I
certainly don't blame Garibaldi for wanting to leave the station.  This puts a
big monkeywrench in my theory of Garibaldi actually trying to go undercover, of
course.  Unless he feels that this is the best place to go to find out who's
playing with his mind.

    And I sure did miss Delenn.  I know... wait for the next few episodes. But
the show just ain't the same without her.  *sniff*

    Overall, a well written episode that held my attention and felt very solid.

Thanks,

  -- Brent

 #: 667195 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    06-May-97  14:13:40
Sb: #667033-<Die Hard Conflicts>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Re: the cartoon...I'm a big WB cartoon fan, and knew that one very well,
and there were two places where it would've fit with the story; the other one,
which I almost used, was when you see two Daffy's arguing with each other.

       Re: the CGI...we've been fairly conventional with the CGI in recent
seasons, we're trying to get a bit more adventurous.

       The Lise flashback material is all exactly as was filmed for "Babylon
Squared."  I think we used a few more pieces of the original footage, but it
was all stet.

       Re: Delenn...these episodes happen close to one another in time, so you
have to allow travel time for her to get to Minbar.

                                                                       jms

   all the excitement was over when the Shadow War ended?" ]

 #: 667196 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    06-May-97  14:13:41
Sb: #667104-this week's ep, no spoil
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Heck, for my money, what follows in the rest of this season is more
exciting and more intense than anything we did during the shadow war... because
it's a lot more personal.

                                                                       jms

 #: 667197 S5/Babylon 5: General
    06-May-97  14:13:42
Sb: #667157-Attn JMS: Islam on B5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       We've shown moslems by dress in the background, and featured them in
"Parliament of Dreams."  The mecca question is a good one; you'd probably have
to orient yourself toward Earth...but the station rotates you away every 60
seconds.

                                                                       jms

 #: 667198 S8/Babylon 5: Social
    06-May-97  14:13:44
Sb: #667170-Homosexuality
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I don't think Earthforce cares about sexual orientation; the reason we
just set it out there without comment is that, having come through the
realization of other non-human races...a little thing like sexual orientation,
nobody even cares about anymore.  It ain't an issue.

                                                                       jms

 #: 667224 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    06-May-97  15:52:40
Sb: #667046-<Conflicts of Interest >
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Re: Lise...well, everybody can't be a fighter; we've had guys and the
occasional female character who isn't used to being shot at.  I daresay I'm not
terribly used to being shot at, and someone who's mainly a civilian would
probably react about that same way.  It's just a matter of showing that
diversity realistically rather than saying, "Okay, let's have a helpless female
now."  Having every female (or male) hard-nosed and laughing off PPG bursts is
as unrealistic as its opposite.

                                                                       jms

 #: 667225 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    06-May-97  15:52:41
Sb: #667049-White Star 16, a lemon?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Of course, you have no way of knowing how many previous hits it took
during the fight, and are assuming it only got two.