JMS on CompuServe (May 07, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Wed May 7 22:35:51 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: Lines of Communication
    Sb: #667282-#>>Racing Mars<< worries
    Sb: #667227-#this week's ep, no spoil
    Sb: #667316-Secure Communications

 #: 667203 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    06-May-97  14:35:59
Sb: Lines of Communication
Fm: BOB KOSLOSKY

JMS,

I was recently scanning the B5 web site when I noticed a new page regarding
reviews by Allan Jenoff.  I frankly think he is overly critical and at times
way too nitpicking (He rated season 3 the lowest - I thought it was the best to
date).  At any rate, he did ask a question that I thought  was relevant:  In
the end, Delenn's White Star fleet completely overwhelms the Drahk's - so why
did she initially "retreat" in the first place?

Respectfully,

Bob

 #: 667326 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    07-May-97  01:16:06
Sb: Lines of Communication
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      As she states in the episode, they were at that time *surrounded* and if
they turned to fire, would get destroyed.  Firepower doesn't solve every
problem; one good hand-held Lancet missile can put down a full-sized cruiser if
it hits right.  They were in the MIDDLE of the Drakh, just as they said, and
that's NOT a defensible position.  They had to get away, outside that group, so
they could mount an offensive.  This they did.

      So re: Jenoff's comments...another example of a self-styled critic who
faults the show when the information is right there...the problem is the
perceiver, not the perceived.  I can't be held responsible for critics not
thinking through what's said right there on camera.

                                                                    jms

 #: 667327 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    07-May-97  01:16:08
Sb: #667282-#>>Racing Mars<< worries
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      From some extremist Catholics...and also got some flack from Born Again
Rigtists over my comments in TV Guide about being an atheist.

                                                                    jms

   gone after "Into the Fire." ]

 #: 667328 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    07-May-97  01:16:10
Sb: #667227-#this week's ep, no spoil
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"I know you've been telling us that for a while now, but for some reason, a few
people still acted like they didn't believe you. <g> I'm sure they have been
disabused of their false sense of calm and order and anti-climax after the last
couple of episodes."

      Heck, Sharon, what you've seen ain't *nothing*...this is just the
warm-up....

    06-May-97  23:36:52
Sb: #666427-#Secure Communications
Fm: HUGH KENNEDY

Joe,

>>So they could see him and know by seeing him that he arrived safely; a text
message could be sent by *anyone* who could've intercepted them.<<

I would disagree. Just think what would come by then out of the technology
doing simple animations now (like Toy-story) - simulated faces would be easy.
An electronically signed message would probably be much more secure.
(Generally, cryptography advances faster than cryptanalysis).

Ok, so maybe the keys could be compromised by a telepath, but if a multikey
system is used then the loss of one key is less likely to be a problem.

Hugh (who does boring stuff like this in banking and finance).

 #: 667330 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    07-May-97  01:16:16
Sb: #667316-Secure Communications
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      In that scenario, there is no such thing as ANY kind of secure
communication, which puts us pretty much back where we started.