JMS on CompuServe (May 17, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Sat May 17 15:36:38 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #669360-S5-not renewal ?
    Sb: #669374-<<RB&L - intrusion>>
    Sb: #669632-From jms re: yr 4/5
    Sb: #669480-Babylon5 Omnipedia
    Sb: #669524-Conflicts Question
    Sb: #669489-<Rumors> and Lennier

 #: 669360 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-May-97  17:48:54
Sb: #668691-#S5-not renewal ?
Fm: TOM KNUDSEN

Joe,

        <In large part, yeah....>

        That brings up a point I've been meaning to ask you about.  Lately,
every time I've heard you mention the sequel, you seem to assume that it is
most likely going to happen.  Could you possibly give us a feel as you what you
think the odds are of the sequel happening, or do you not want to jinx it by
doing so?

        Thanks.

                                                Tom

 #: 669416 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-May-97  21:22:04
Sb: #669360-S5-not renewal ?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      My opinion on the fate of that and S5 changes on a daily, sometimes an
hourly basis...best to say when I know more for sure.

    15-May-97  18:15:36
Sb: #<<RB&L - intrusion>>
Fm: DEONAHA M. CONLIN

Hello Joe.

        I am......stunned.  This was another terrific mix of seriousness and
humor - I enjoyed watching Sheridan manipulate the ambassadors.  Well done!
That was fun, seeing Sheridan light hearted after so many things he has been
through.

        Still, nothing about this episode stands out more than watching Delenn
mourn her city.  For a moment, it was almost as if we were seeing Mira mourning
her home.  Then the two blended again, and I felt like an intruder to a very
personal, private moment.  It has to go on the top ten list of really powerful,
reach out and grab you moments.

        Thanks, Joe.  This was terrific.

Di C  (forgoing her sig this time)

 #: 669417 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    15-May-97  21:22:05
Sb: #669374-<<RB&L - intrusion>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  The Sheridan stuff was fun, in that I got to play Sheridan as
the one being manipulative for a change, smart for a change...not just Londo or
the usual suspects.  It made for a nifty change of pace.

      And yeah, Mira brought a lot of truth to this episode...and will bring
even more in next week.

                                                                    jms

   anything, because he doesn't know anything, this user asks, "could
   there be 10 _Joes_?" ]

 #: 669706 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-May-97  00:49:46
Sb: #669632-From jms re: yr 4/5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"could there be 10 _Joes_?"

      Would certainly go a long way toward explaining things....

                                                                    jms

   "slightly subversive," this user comments that JMS is never slightly
   anything. ]

 #: 669707 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-May-97  00:49:48
Sb: #669480-Babylon5 Omnipedia
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Actually, one episode coming up in this batch is, according to John
Copeland, the single most subversive thing we've ever done on the show.  It's a
*mean* episode and completely, unabashedly underhanded in its way of
illuminating certain things.  While, oddly enough, ending in a positive
fashion, despite George Johnsen's comment at playback during the audio mix,
"Okay, what sadistic m-----f----- wrote this thing?"

    16-May-97  12:02:19
Sb: #669345-#Conflicts Question
Fm: JONATHAN KASS

Was the result of the contest made public?

 #: 669708 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    17-May-97  00:49:51
Sb: #669524-Conflicts Question
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, it was, and I know there was some press covering it...just didn't
get a lot of exposure.  It was a guy who came out and played a Minbari.

    16-May-97  08:05:18
Sb: #<Rumors> and Lennier
Fm: BRIAN KORNFELD

Joe:

While watching the end of Rumors, Bargains and Lies, I started realizing
something important about Lennier.  It was when Delenn told Lennier that she
was training him to replace her, much as Ducatt trained Delenn to replace him.

Anyway, I have wondered why the Religous Caste have so much respect for Delenn,
when she is so very different from them, so Human with her emotions.  Ducatt
knew that the Minbari would have to change to survive, so he picked Delenn.
Delenn underwent a physical change (and, semingly, mental change)to become more
human and bridge the gap between our 2 races.  At this stage of the story, she
doesn't seem to be doing such a good job.

Now, on to Lennier.  He seems to have the best qualities of both races.  He is
trained in both Minbari mind and body, yet he seems to have a Human sense of
humor and the very Human ability to be flexible and quickly adapt to ANY
situation.  The Minbari seem much more inflexible than he.

Is Lennier the true bridge between races?

Brian Kornfeld

 #: 669709 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    17-May-97  00:49:54
Sb: #669489-<Rumors> and Lennier
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, I wouldn't say Lennier is a bridge in any sense along those lines.

      Delenn, you must understand, is a True Seeker, and among the religious
caste there isn't much more admirable than that...combined with the fact that
she *did* fulfill prophecy, she *was* the chosen of Dukhat, she *did* help end
the Shadow War...yeah, she's had some problems here and there, but what
important leader doesn't?  Any one of those items would be a sufficient crown
on a lifetime of achievement...the cumulative effect is quite daunting and
impressive.