ATTN JMS: PTEN/WB/SOMEBODY are screwing up B5's audio.

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Mon May 19 06:08:55 EDT 1997

From: tbetz at panix.com (Tom Betz)
Date: 18 May 1997 02:36:25 -0400

Over the last few weeks, the audio I receive has been horribly
"noise-gated" -- in quiet passages, much of the audio simply
disappears when there is no dialog, blanking out the soundtrack
music and foley.

This started happening occasionally last season, and has been
CONSISTENTLY awful in the last three weeks.

Perhaps it is being done by my local station (WWOR 9 in NYC)
but I doubt it, as I only hear the problem when I watch B5,
never on any of their other programming.

This leads me to believe that somebody up the transmission
chain is sloppily applying maladjusted noise gates to the
audio feed in a misguided effort to "clean up" the sound track --
and instead they are f***ing it up horribly.

I know that you devote much time and effort to getting your
fine program's audio mixes just right -- it's a damn shame
that some noodlehead along the line is undoing so much of
your good work before we get to see it.

It was so bad tonight that I considered not bothering to
watch the whole episode, or the rest of the broadcast eps,
and to wait ten years for the DVD box set.

My cooler head prevailed, but it's really annoying, Joe.

I hope there is something you can do about it.

If there's someone *I* can complain to about it, please
let me know.

--
|We have tried ignorance       |            Tom Betz, Generalist               |
|for a very long time, and     | Want to send me email? First, read this page: |