JMS on CompuServe (May 26, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Mon May 26 13:57:17 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: <Moments...>
    Sb: #671763-<MOMENTS>
    Sb: #671753-New Voyager/B5 parallels
    Sb: #671721-#<MOMENTS OF TRANSITION>
    Sb: #671824-#Product Placement
    Sb: #671883-#<moments>
    Sb: #671843-<MOMENTS>
    Sb: #671791-#<Moments...>
    Sb: #671854-<MoT> Starfireworks
    Sb: #671857-<Moments> question
    Sb: #671980-#Product Placement
    Sb: #671978-Moments--Question

 #: 671728 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    24-May-97  19:36:09
Sb: <Moments...>
Fm: TOM KNUDSEN

Joe,

        <In a way, it was the second half of G'Kar's sentence...that life can
be broken down into moments of transition and moments of revelation...and there
with Neroon at the end we had both.>

        I have a question about Neroon's motive(s) here.  Did he REALLY have an
epiphany and realize he belonged to the religious caste?  I know you very
nicely foreshadowed this moment back in season one when Delenn told Neroon
about how his leader was once religious caste and switched to warrior caste for
the Earth/Minbari war.  Or, did he just come to believe in Delenn and her
"rightness" to lead the Minbari so much that he was willing to die and renounce
his caste to prove her point for her and allow her to survive?

                                                Tom^^^^

 #: 671782 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    25-May-97  02:38:29
Sb: <Moments...>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Whether it was true or not, he knew his actions would bring the castes
back together...so out of respect for the dead, best to leave the issue
unresolved, and accept his gesture for what it was.

    24-May-97  23:24:32
Sb: #671428-#<MOMENTS>
Fm: MARTE BRENGLE

If Bester's left hand is useless, though, how does he get his gloves on?

                                                --M--

 #: 671783 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    25-May-97  02:38:31
Sb: #671763-<MOMENTS>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Ask Walter.

    24-May-97  23:14:44
Sb: #671093-#New Voyager/B5 parallels
Fm: BURHAAN  AHMAD

>> [Substitute the Shadows for the Borg and you may see a parallel.] <<

Actually, substitute Species 842790210whatever for the Shadows, and substitute
the Borg for the Vorlons.  The first two both espouse survival of the fittest
as their philosophy.  The later two are both lords of order.

As for the FX, remember that Ron Thornton's company now does the FX for
Voyager.  Their particular visual style probably carried over to Voyager a
little.  Did you notice how Trek space has nebulae all over the place lately?

 #: 671885 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-May-97  14:47:01
Sb: #671753-New Voyager/B5 parallels
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      What I love -- knowing that our EFX guys are now doing the EFX for
Voyager and to some extent DS9 -- is seeing a ST fan's letter in the current SF
Universe saying how much he hates B5's EFX and prefers Voyager's because we use
CGI which looks faker than ST's EFX...which are, in fact, being done in large
measure in EXACTLY the same way, with the SAME EFX that we pioneered, by the
SAME PEOPLE.

      You just want to go up to him and plink him in the nose...just one
finger, just a plink, that's all....

                                                                    jms

   annonomously." ]

 #: 671886 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    25-May-97  14:47:03
Sb: #671721-#<MOMENTS OF TRANSITION>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Bear in mind that Edgars also has Wade working for him right there on the
station, and he is more or less Garibaldi's liaison with Edgars, so logically
that would be his source of information.

                                                                    jms

   includes the notion that several hundred years down the road Silver Oak
   will still be producing their incredible Cabernets." ]

 #: 671949 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-May-97  19:44:10
Sb: #671824-#Product Placement
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I hadn't noticed that...hmm...they're supposed to avoid slipping in real
stuff in the props department...must have a word or two.

                                                                    jms*

(*who wouldn't know good wine from rat whizz)

 #: 671883 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    25-May-97  14:18:12
Sb: #<moments>
Fm: MICHAEL  ZITAGLIO

Hi,

I like secrecy as much as the next guy. I just hope Edgars doesnt turn out to
be John Forsythe :).

Terri has a question,  why did you pick 2258 to start all of this?

BTW,  Thanks for killing off Neroon. He was one of my favorites!

mIKE

 #: 671950 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    25-May-97  19:44:12
Sb: #671883-#<moments>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"why did you pick 2258 to start all of this?"

      That's when it all happened.

      I just report the news, I don't make it.

    25-May-97  09:04:57
Sb: #671428-#<MOMENTS>
Fm: MERYL  YOURISH

Joe,

Moments was a great episode. Neroon's change of allegiance was so well
done--you really had me going in the final scene from last week, but it became
clear he was working with Delenn from the first moments of--well, "Moments".

I'm about to mourn the loss of the (sigh) greatest baritone voice we have on
B5, but I have a question for you: Does the loss of Neroon indicate we may be
seeing John Vickery return in his Nightwatch role?

        Meryl

 #: 671951 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    25-May-97  19:44:14
Sb: #671843-<MOMENTS>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, not as that role, but we're definitely open to using him in other
roles, as with Wayne Alexander.

    25-May-97  03:54:18
Sb: #<Moments...>
Fm: BILL HIRST

Joe, once again your story totally blew me away. The acting was teriffic, the
plot twists were unexpected. Walter Koenig and Pat Tallman were excellent. Four
years and you're still writing stories that hit me right in the gut.

Yesterday I read that story of you and Harlan watching Schindler's List. Today
I think you have the talent to do the same type of film. It's not faint praise
or wishful thinking, but a serious assessment of your work based on 40+ years
of viewing films. IMO, your talents have increased greatly in the last couple
of years. 22 scripts a year, with nobody rewriting your words... no TV writer
has ever done that before, and had the show live or die on the results.

But don't belive this fanboy. Ask Harlan if I'm right. You know he never
learned to lie.

-B

 #: 671952 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    25-May-97  19:44:17
Sb: #671791-#<Moments...>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  I think this concentrated effort has helped me to become a
better writer, though I still have a LONG way to go before I'm qualified to
carry Serling's or Corwin's pencil box.

    25-May-97  10:33:45
Sb: #<MoT> Starfireworks
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

jms -

About 15 minutes after finishing watching "MoT," the image of the Starfire
Wheel lingered and illuminated the rest of the episode and the imagery of the
Grey Council.

As to the Grey Council, one thing that struck me was that the pools of light in
which the members stand might have been established by Valen as a reminder of
the Starfire Wheel and the weighty responsibility of leadership.  The grey
cloaks might then represent the post-Starfire ashen remains.  The original
trial-by-Starfire was dramatic and noble (subjecting leaders to the agonies
their decisions inevitably cause the people has a certain appeal...), but it
was ultimately wasteful -- eliminating precisely those leaders whose ability to
see beyond caste could lead to the civilized development of Minbari society.
Neroon's demise certainly underscores that point. Between the candle and the
star now has deeper meaning, since the star has been a force of destruction.

Shakiri's comments about leadership, not dogma and action, not meditation are
certainly ironic.  Delenn, of all, has shown leadership and has certainly been
active!  The action/meditation dichotomy seems to parallel the Vorlon/Shadow
conflict.  Action not directed by meditation is merely chaotic, and meditation
not followed by action is static.

Delenn's Starfire experience captured several moments of transition. She has
already made a transition, as leader of the White Star Fleet, from religious to
religious-warrior (let alone to Minbari-Human).  She initiated the ultimate
transition to grey ash, and the transition was completed by Neroon, who had
undergone his own transition from warrior to warrior-religious.

But each main character to have a focus in the episode was also entering a
Starfire Wheel, some willingly, some reluctantly, and some merely unaware.

Garibaldi's Starfire of his relationship with Edgars at the moment merely
causes him inconveniences.  For all his "street smarts,"  I think he is not yet
fully aware of the Starfire-forces about to be played on him.

Lyta finally enters her Starfire of her deal-with-the-devil from necessity and
as a last resort. I suspect we will see her also subjected to forces which she
had not anticipated (and plenty that she had).

Zack seems to be stepping further into the Starfire of responsibility and
becoming more comfortable about implementing difficult policies affecting those
he at least once considered friends.  It's interesting to me that he now refers
to Garibaldi as "Michael" -- he seems to have accepted his own equality with
his former "Chief."

Sheridan and Ivanova, of course, are about to enter the
mother-of-all-Starfires.

Other observations:

I liked the opening moment of transition, taking us back to the Hour of the
Wolf -- the haunted transition-time between one day's problems and the next.

Lyta's job interview:  Dismal to see that insurance agents, lawyers and boards
of directors continue to have a squelching effect on ability.

Bester:  He has such a disquieting, ophidian charm.  His appreciation of the
classics isolates him from the "shallow end of the gene pool" almost as much as
his telepathic ability.

Finally, the diversity of cultures on Babylon 5 must be a satisfaction for you
as a writer to have so many different voices to express. "MoT" for me was
almost like seguing between playwrights -- Damon Runyan (Garibaldi) to Oscar
Wilde (Bester) to Aeschylus (Minbar). One of the things I have found most
appealing about Babylon 5 as a whole is that the language is similar to the
language of the stage.  That seems rare in a television milieu defined for the
most part by diseases-of-the-week, talk-show spew and courtroom maneuverings.

-rje- To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else.  --
Emily Dickinson

 #: 671953 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    25-May-97  19:44:20
Sb: #671854-<MoT> Starfireworks
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, the Grey Council stucture, visually, is designed to bring the
Starfire wheel to mind.  Valen, being something of a smart cookie, figured it
would be wise to tie in whatever he was doing to the traditions that preceded
him.  So they're arranged in a circle, with a series of lights above them, and
the one central light (for Dukhat, for instance) reserved for the one who had
endured and grown to leadership, but through a somewhat less violent means.

"Finally, the diversity of cultures on Babylon 5 must be a satisfaction for you
as a writer to have so many different voices to express. "MoT" for me was
almost like seguing between playwrights -- Damon Runyan (Garibaldi) to Oscar
Wilde (Bester) to Aeschylus (Minbar). One of the things I have found most
appealing about Babylon 5 as a whole is that the language is similar to the
language of the stage.  That seems rare in a television milieu defined for the
most part by diseases-of-the-week, talk-show spew and courtroom maneuverings."

      Yeah, I like that part a lot, being able to write in lots of different
voices, lots of different styles.  You have to remember that I cut my teeth
writing dialogue back when I was writing plays and getting them produced.  I
love theater, love plays, and love really well done or rich dialogue.  So it
echoes that now...which as you say isn't necessarily the style of dialogue seen
on most television (which is why a few react weirdly to it), but I like it, and
it's my show....

    25-May-97  10:45:52
Sb: #670564-#<Moments> question
Fm: MARA K. MALOVANY

>> And Bester was named for a well-known SF writer, now gone.<<
        I managed to get a hold of his "The Demolished Man", and was amazed at
how, unlike so many other 'classic' sf novels, it didn't seem at all dated.  So
often sf practically screams out what decade it was written in, particularly
when it comes to sexual politics, but Bester didn't seem to get distracted into
constructing some elaborate vision of the future, instead keeping the focus on
telepathy.  Thanks for introducing me to the book.
        Who was the author you've recommended from time to time?   James or
Jonathan Carroll, I can never remember.

Mara

 #: 671954 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    25-May-97  19:44:23
Sb: #671857-<Moments> question
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, Jonathan Carroll, who does dark contemporary fantasy, is someone I'd
definitely recommend.

                                                                    jms

 #: 672013 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-May-97  03:27:04
Sb: #671980-#Product Placement
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The Zima thing was a gag...

                                                                    jms

   for help instead of taking the Psi-Corp deal?" ]

 #: 672014 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    26-May-97  03:27:05
Sb: #671978-Moments--Question
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I think Lyta had just emotionally gotten to the place where she had to do
something on her own rather than continuing to rely on the kindness of
strangers.