No Surrender, No Retreat ( *Spoilers* )

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Sat May 31 06:21:40 EDT 1997

From: ck at zipcon.net ( )
Date: 30 May 1997 00:52:01 -0400

Spoilers for No Surrender, No Retreat

Spoiler space for No Surrender, No Retreat

A miniature "Severed Dreams" in reverse. Neat. The strategy was
interesting, the group dynamics on the ships believable (well, except for
Sheridan's convenient friend/teacher on one of the ships - I can gloss
over that), the battle furious yet respectful of the horrors of war.
And Sheridan did it all with maddening restraint and a surgeon's touch.
All your hallmarks.

Now that I've buttered you up, here's my beef: were these White Stars
tired or something? I would've expected that a couple of them could just
go slice-slice, sever the rotating sections on the EA ships and have 'em
for breakfast.

I mean, WS ships are Minbari/Vorlon hybrids, very fast and maneuverable,
each one has the firepower of almost a Vorlon cruiser. These things fought
Shadow vessels large and small and either evaded or adapted to 'em.

So why were EA ships able to track these things at all? The logical leap
is that EA ships couldn't track Minbari vessels, and these things are part
Minbari? Why could EA ships damage them, since they'd adapted to be able
to take hits from a Shadow vessel? Or get a lock on them with
unidirectional weapons while they were zipping about all over the place?
And all this in mind, why risk valuable, fragile, irreplacable B5 fighter
squads when the WS fleet alone could do the job?

In short, the battle scene kinda blew my sense of scale a bit, marvelous
as it was. The White Stars have been established in the show to be a lot
stronger, and Earth ships a lot weaker, than here.

--
Chris Keroack	<*>	The only joy in the world is to begin.
ck at zipcon.net	<*>				- Cesare Pavese