Hubris in "Deconstruction"... Minor Spoilers

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Thu Nov 6 06:32:47 EST 1997

From: "John Lay" <john.lay at natinst.com>
Date: 4 Nov 1997 23:42:50 -0500

First, some "spoiler" room

I was saddened to see that Claudia was excised from the credits for
"Deconstruction" and thought the "Dedication" at the end was a bit over the
top.  I fear we have some more hubris on Babylon 5, but not from the
characters, this time.

I am a loyal, died-in-the-wool fanatic who has turned at least 3 other
people onto this show and have all but five episodes (from season 1) on
tape.  I find this public "rubbing-your-face-in-it" embarrasing.

I think it's very possible I wouldn't have watched the show without Ivanova.
She was my favorite character from day one.  True, Ivanova could have been
played by someone other than Claudia Christian, but that's a little like
saying Spock could have been played by someone other than Leonard Nimoy.
It's a fact, but useless.  At any rate, I'm saddened by her loss and find it
difficult to accept the circumstances surrounding it (even though I'm one of
those who believes that SHE left the show.)

I find it disheartening that JMS would go to the trouble and expense of
removing her bit from the intro (and not, for instance, Jason Carter's.)
Yeah, so I'll learn to live without her on B5, but I LOVED her character and
am stung by this obvious slap.

John Lay