JMS on CompuServe (Nov 14, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Fri Nov 14 17:16:19 EST 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #6235-New B5 Logo on Ace Awds
    Sb: #6234-Marcus Aurelius
    Sb: #6446-<Will we see it again?>
    Sb: #6376-Sinclair
    Sb: #6471-<<Rising Star>>
    Sb: #6493-roman-a-clef
    Sb: #6611-characters
    Sb: #6657-<DOFS - THANKS!>
    Sb: #6547-Merchandise - New

 #: 6235 S1/Forum&Technical Hlp
    10-Nov-97  15:06:09
Sb: #4748-New B5 Logo on Ace Awds
Fm: GARY WEINFURTHER

>>       For those planning to watch the Cable Ace Awards this weekend...be on
the lookout, there's going to be a clip from B5 (with a twist at the end)
which will lead off with a new B5 logo which we're introducing for the fifth
season. <<

Is this the same logo that appears on TNT's web site?

                                   ...Gary

 #: 6466 S1/Forum&Technical Hlp
    12-Nov-97  13:52:10
Sb: #6235-New B5 Logo on Ace Awds
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Is this the same logo that appears on TNT's web site?"

      Negative.

                                                                    jms

 #: 6234 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    10-Nov-97  14:03:12
Sb: #5969-Marcus Aurelius
Fm: JEFF FRANK

>> I'll bet his initial reaction was nothing compared to his probable
reaction after Claudia's departure - "What a waste!!!!" <<

Personally, I'm quite amazed that he and the rest of the cast were able to
keep themselves from spouting off on the last day in Blackpool.  I'm sure
Jason was ready to kill.

Jeff
Sigh Corps - Pat Tallman Division
Great Maker huh?

 #: 6467 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    12-Nov-97  13:52:10
Sb: #6234-Marcus Aurelius
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Personally, I'm quite amazed that he and the rest of the cast were able to
keep themselves from spouting off on the last day in Blackpool."

      More or less.  I was talking to Julie Caitlin Brown the other day, who
commented that she saw Bruce shortly after learning of Claudia's decision, and
he was upset, angry, nearly in tears over the whole thing.  A lot of people in
the cast were very upset over her decision.

                                                                    jms

   you?'"  Also, "The B5 view of inevitable change is especially pertinent
   these days, when fear of change seems to be a prime malaise."]

 #: 6468 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    12-Nov-97  13:59:09
Sb: #6446-<Will we see it again?>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Agreement on every point.

                                                                    jms

 #: 6504 S2/Bab 5: General
    12-Nov-97  23:01:05
Sb: #6376-Sinclair
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I generally try to avoid closing doors definitively.

                                                                    jms

   quote below. ]

 #: 6505 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    12-Nov-97  23:01:05
Sb: #6471-<<Rising Star>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"I'm not sure in this case that it was necessarily a "morally" right or wrong
position on either side"

      I'm back and forth, but on balance, yeah, I agree with that.

                                                                    jms

 #: 6493 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    12-Nov-97  19:21:08
Sb: roman-a-clef
Fm: BRIAN KORNFELD

Joe,

Can I be the only one to catch these 2 things here?  In Deconstruction, 2
characters have familiar names.

1.  Harry Ellis (1 year-hence) is described as a writer with a fiery tongue.
Can a certain "conceptual consultant" with the same initials be the
inspiration for this character?

2.  Exeter (whom I assume to the million years-hence final earthman) has a
large forehead and the same name of the super(ior) Metaluna alien in the 1950s
film This Island Earth.

Coincidence?  I think not.

Thanks for a wonderful year 4.

Brian Kornfeld

 #: 6561 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    13-Nov-97  12:05:08
Sb: #6493-roman-a-clef
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, Henry Ellis was not in any way named for Harlan.

                                                                    jms

   when you create it for TV?" ]

 #: 6622 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    14-Nov-97  01:25:02
Sb: #6611-characters
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, no difference at all, from my perspective.  You find out who the
character is, what they want, how far they'll go to get it, and how far
someone else will go to stop them...and the rest attends to itself.

                                                                    jms

 #: 6657 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    14-Nov-97  10:59:10
Sb: #<DOFS - THANKS!>
Fm: JONATHAN KASS

jms

And now a word about Deconstruction... THANKS!

Due to a bunch of circumstances, just saw it last night, and I don't think
there could have been a nicer present to the fans... that was just plain fun!
I haven't read others notes here yet (avoided them till I saw it), but a
couple of my favorite touches:

1) Presend day recording - a bit surprising that James Carvelle was working
for Clarke :)... seriuosly a bit surprising that Clarke's speechwriter still
has access to the media... I imagined that the overthrow of his government was
more unusual than a typical election cycle, and that the folks closest to him
would be on trial, not on tv, but a good scene nonetheless...

2) 100 years in the future - revisionism sure is fun!  Echoes nicely of things
said about some of the historical touchstones of your story (in my mind,
particularly, Abraham Lincoln)... I even found myself thinking about Gene
Roddenberry, who 5 minutes after he died was suddenly a megalomaniac who
controlled everything around him, as opposed to a TV producer. The hints of
season 5, and the edited scenes, were a nice teaser too.   Delenn's epitaph
for Sheridan in that scene was beautiful as well - simple, on the level
Sheridan himself might have wanted 100 years later...

3) 500 years in the future - never thought you'd do a Holodeck story, much
less one with the same framework as TNG (that darn holodeck never works the
way the person using it expects) <G>... seriously, I'm not saying anything at
all was lifted from TNG, its just one obvious and fun point of comparison...
but the "garibaldi" holograms actions were just perfect, as were the others -
only garibaldi could keep a straight face while doing something else - Delenn
would always shout her disaproval, as would Sheridan, and Franklin was caught
up in the technology, which was nice...

4) 1000 years in the future - that was alot of fun, especially the roman
numerals, which took us a bit to figure out... the concept of the alliance
surviving the "burn" is a truly hopeful one, a nice touch...  Also the
mythological interpretation of the events of the main story was fun to watch,
as well... The blessed Sheridan, the wise Delenn, the strong Ivanova - and the
half-illuminated Marcus - just great fun again...

5) way out in the future - probably the most hopeful scene I believe you may
have ever presented - that mankind will someday evolve and yet maintain such a
respect for the past - optimisim at its best!  The encounter suit was a nice
touch, my friend took his tape with him so I have to ask - did the encounter
suit have a ranger emblem on it?  I imagined it might, but I didn't get a look
at it...

And of course, the end dedication - to those who DIDN'T believe... from you of
all people, the message "FAITH MANAGES" - I almost thought you found religion
:)

Again,  as a fan,  thanks

Jonathan

 #: 6665 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    14-Nov-97  12:49:04
Sb: #6657-<DOFS - THANKS!>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Re: speechwriters and others hanging around after the fall...look at the
remains of the Soviet Union.  After the fall of the communist party, you'd
think they would all have been run out of town on a rail.  But many of them
just shifted over and found similar positions, or kept the communist party
going, after everything they'd done.

      The problem with most people is that they don't hold a grudge near long
enough.

      I'd have to check, but yeah, I believe we stuck a ranger symbol on the
encounter suit.

                                                                    jms

 #: 6663 S5/Fan Club
    14-Nov-97  12:20:00
Sb: #6547-Merchandise - New
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The card game should be out shortly; the Sierra CD rom will be available
via retail, from Sierra directly, and from the B5 fan club at a discount to
members (and generally to non-members).  We should have it in hand by the
first of next week.  Keep an eye on the B5 fan club website for more
information (www.thestation.com), which will shortly have an on-line credit
card emporium to make ordering simpler.