JMS on CompuServe (Oct 02, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Thu Oct 2 22:06:35 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #706114-#CC Situation
    Sb: #706440-JMS to get royalties ???
    Sb: #706295-JMS to get royalties ???
    Sb: #706472-1998 Calander
    Sb: #706542-Help Me Promote Season 5

 #: 706469 S5/Babylon 5: General
    02-Oct-97  03:43:24
Sb: #706114-#CC Situation
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"...her stated view is that she was told it was 22 eps. or nothing by the
Turner people.  No possible time off."

      Again, this is only a partial statement.  She was told that if she wanted
to be *paid* for 22 episodes, then the contract would have to stipulate that
she was hired for 22 episodes.  The probelm was that she wanted to have the
contract read that she was being paid for 22 episodes, but appearing in 18,
which constitutes a per-episode pay increase, which would invalidate our
contracts with all the other cast members, who are on a favored-nation basis.
Had her people said, "Just pay us for 18 episodes and we'll just do 18
episodes," there would never have been a problem.  We did the same thing for
Stephen Furst.

"Yes, when she didn't /couldn't agree to that, she was  "booted"."

      One clarification.  You cannot fire someone who does not work for you.
That is the one part of this conversation everybody keeps forgetting.  As of
June 15th, when Claudia did not give the extension, her contract expired and
she no longer worked for B5, or WB; neither had any call or hold on her. What
had to happen then was for WB to put an offer on the table for her services.
This was done.  A deadline was finally put on for a Friday, because of the
pressures of production.  She did not accept the offer, and by that Friday, the
offer was withdrawn.

    01-Oct-97  21:16:00
Sb: #706166-#JMS to get royalties ???
Fm: SCOTT MILLER

I have a question for you which is off topic.  My local B5 station
(KMSS)--which has aired B5 from the beginning--informed me yesterday that they
will not be carrying the final four season four episodes.  I asked if it was
normal to drop a series *during* the season and was told (rather rudely, I
think) that they had done so, and could do as they pleased.

My question is, was an entire 22 episode package sold to each station--in which
case KMSS is choosing not to air four episodes which they've presumably paid to
air--or were the final four sold as a seperate package to the stations?

You might be interested to know that the show now listed in B5's *wonderful*
time slot--Sundays at midnight--is "Honey I Shrunk the Kids".  I'm sure it'll
get a lot more viewers in that time slot than B5 did.  (And yes, I am being
sarcastic.)

Scott

 #: 706470 S5/Babylon 5: General
    02-Oct-97  03:47:25
Sb: #706440-JMS to get royalties ???
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I don't know the situation on a station-by-station basis, unfortunately.

    01-Oct-97  13:19:19
Sb: #706166-#JMS to get royalties ???
Fm: ROWAN KAISER

>> Stephen has directed 501, and I think is on tap for at least one more at
this point.  Overall filming is going great, and I think this may be one of our
best, certainly one of our most interesting seasons to date. <<

Is that the 501 that is now in place of 422, or the first new TNT ep?

    02-Oct-97  16:59:27
Sb: #706295-JMS to get royalties ???
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       That's the new 422.

    02-Oct-97  05:38:22
Sb: #705932-#1998 Calander
Fm: ANNE L. WARNER

Joe,

 >>  There will be two calendars coming out shortly for 1998, one from
Slowdazzle, the other from Antioch..  <<

US or Brit???  Will we be able to get both here in the States?

Other topic:  I mailed you that "Over the Hedge" strip from Saturday's paper.
You should be getting it soon....

Anne

 #: 706629 S5/Babylon 5: General
    02-Oct-97  17:05:24
Sb: #706472-1998 Calander
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       The Antioch calendar is a US calendar, the Slowdazzle calendar is a UK
calendar.

    02-Oct-97  09:42:32
Sb: #Help Me Promote Season 5
Fm: KEVIN P. KENNEY

I still find myself semi-surrounded by people that religiously spoil
themselves, watch, then rag on B5.  (I don't spoil myself, except by accident:
i.e. TV Guide)  I'm now hearing a lot of "what's left for season 5" lamenting.
I say, 'trust jms - he knows', but it's not enough.

So is there anything, IN GENERAL, you're willing to say about season 5.  I.E.,
there will still be some big space battles, that the level of intensity will
still go up, that more effects doesn't just mean more virtual sets, etc.  Just
something for me to point to and say 'believe'.

Thanks,
KpK

 #: 706630 S5/Babylon 5: General
    02-Oct-97  17:05:25
Sb: #706542-Help Me Promote Season 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       There's really nothing you can tell these people that will work. They
will always doubt and say it's doomed...then see what comes along, and go
"...oh..." and then the next thing will happen, and they'll do it again, on and
on.  When Stephen came in, when Michael went out, when the shadow war ended,
when we got year 5...I'm more or less used to it by now.

       Give them something to believe?

       I did.

       The fifth season.

       Either it's there, or it ain't...and anything I say doesn't mean a
damned thing, since there's always somebody who'll counter, "Well of COURSE
he'd say that."  The show stands on its own.  Always has.  Always will.