"endgame" (*spoiler*)

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Fri Oct 3 06:59:57 EDT 1997

From: "Baldwin, Donna" <DBALDWIN at electricinsurance.com>
Date: 2 Oct 1997 09:47:02 -0400

"*spoiler for episode 'Endgame'*"
^L

Question/Msg/Plea to JMS
Was it alwasy part of the orig story arc for Ranger Marcus Cole to die?  Why
must he? You have created one of the most fascinating and charismatic
characters since Spock!  and your choice of Jason Carter to bring him to
life was perfect.  He (Marcus) is  witty, charming, exuberant,  irreverant,
dedicated, loyal, dangerous, mischevious not to mention darn right
appealing.  (I love the lit quotes).  You said once you enjoyed writing for
him, why kill him off?  Death is soooo permanent - this delightful character
can never be seen again.  Besides - its a terrible thing to do to Susan -
adding to the list of people lost to her & this one a direct result of her
being alive - she's alive because he's dead!  I know it makes a great scene
 - but - Garibaldi's defection wasn't 'real' -  but Bester's programming,
 granted he (Bester)  had a good reason - however - a more powerful
statement w/have been a real defection.  Franklin saved Garibaldi using that
alien machine w/o killing hilself - Marcus s/be able to stabilize Susan w/o
dying.  If Susan needs a revelation couldn't it have been done w/o Marcus
dying?  Couldn't someone 'help' Marcus using that alien machine ?  He really
deserved to win the girl in the end or at least have the chance for her to
say 'your a nice guy but not my type'  or something.  He could then continue
his adventures as a ranger - a little sadder - a .little wiser (someone once
said 'sometimes having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting') but not bowed
 - he's too much of a romantic for that.  Sorry for the length and thank you
for letting me get this off my chest - I'm not sure I'll forgive you just
yet - I really enjoyed the character and am rather upset we'll never see him
again - except in re-runs, no new adventures, revelations about who he is
(sigh) - not sure why he caused such a strong reaction.  Whatever the reason
 - I don't think I'm the only one who finds this dashing, romantic  ranger
has become one of their favorite B5 characters.  Again - thank you for
listening to my 'ravings' and please forgive me but I'm not sure that
'Endgame' will be an episode I could watch and enjoy as much as I have
enjoyed all the others - the episode that follows that and speaks of his
death may also be one I may be unable to watch (reverse phys?  - if I don't
watch it didn't happen!?)  If your fertile imagination and massive
creativilty could manage to 'save' Marcus for his many fans -  I and all the
others w/be eternally in your debt!  It w/be enough to know that he was
alive & well somewhere in the B5 universe fighting the darkness  (and avail
for any future stories/shows?)  -  thank you again for listening.  Strive
for the Light!