JMS on CompuServe (Oct 08, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Wed Oct 8 14:52:49 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #707902-DS9 = Babylon 5
    Sb: #707885-#CC Situation
    Sb: #707969-B5 Anthropology

 #: 707902 S3/Star Trek: DS9
    07-Oct-97  15:40:36
Sb: #DS9 = Babylon 5
Fm: MR. TRACY SCHELL

>>       B5 was created in 1987; the pilot was shot actually before the DS9
pilot was shot, but they rushed their version out before B5 could air.  There
were only a few weeks between the airing of the two pilots. <<

Aren't you sick of answering this question?<G>

Putting that aside, DS9 has really improved starting about Season 4. They even
have Arcs. First the war with the Klingons, then the arrival of the Dominion,
and now the Federation/Dominion War. Poltical boundaries have shifted and
changed over the lase few seasons. It's been some good TV. The value of a good
arc to keep viewers interested but then you know all about that don't you?<G>

When Florida State joined the Atlantic Coast Conference in football the were
much better than the other teams and crushed them all. Now, a few years down
the road the other teams have improved themselves to be able to compete with
FSU, they have brought their talent level up.

Like FSU, I think B5 has had a similar effect on science fiction. And the
viewer like myself has benefited.

Mr.T- Having fun in Florida's sun!

 #: 708013 S3/Star Trek: DS9
    08-Oct-97  03:33:28
Sb: #707902-DS9 = Babylon 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"I think B5 has had a similar effect on science fiction. And the viewer like
myself has benefited."

      This has been our clarion call for the last 4-5 years.  I have felt
strongly from the beginning that the more SF on television, the more there is
competition, the less shows can rest on their laurels.  Everybody will have to
work hard to produce the best show possible when there is competition, and the
ultimate beneficiary of that is the viewer.

    07-Oct-97  15:36:27
Sb: #707743-#CC Situation
Fm: SCOTT MILLER

>>Our scripts are finalized usually 4 [weeks] in advance of shooting, so the
director has about a month to plan out his or her episode.  We've found this
makes all the difference in the world on budget, and the whole look of the
show.<<

All the more reason I can't fathom why other shows can't have scripts ready
similarly early.  After all, you're one man writing 20+ scripts per year (and
putting in more than your fair share of hours each day, I'm sure), and these
other shows have entire writing staffs to do a similar job.  I hope you're
getting paid time-and-a-half. <g>

Scott

 #: 708014 S5/Babylon 5: General
    08-Oct-97  03:33:30
Sb: #707885-#CC Situation
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I will confess that there are momets when I'll be looking at an outside
script with multiple names on it, and think, "It took TWO of you to write
this?"

      I think the reliance on big writing staffs is an error.  It leads to the
frequent creation of little "pocket universes" where each staffer has kind of
his vision or version of the show, and because it's political at that level,
nobody wants to step on anybody else's toes...and you get a very uneven show,
where everyone's also pulling at everybody else's script, and delays result.

      The best shows of the past tended to have one writer/producer or one
story editor at the core of it, not big writing teams.

    07-Oct-97  20:43:44
Sb: #B5 Anthropology
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

jms,

Just one of these weird questions that crop up while waiting (counting down the
*days* now, rather than the months) for ep 419.

Will you, in S5, be giving us any more of the sense of history for the Drazi,
Gaim or Pak'Mara that you have given us for the Narn, Minbari and Centauri?  I
realize that, because Delenn, G'Kar and Londo are major characters  there is
more need for us to have their civilizations' backgrounds.  And I won't feel
cheated not having the same historical sense about the other races.  It was
just a question that popped up.

-rje- But then there was a star danced, and under that was I born.

 #: 708015 S5/Babylon 5: General
    08-Oct-97  03:33:32
Sb: #707969-B5 Anthropology
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Interesting timing on that question...one thing I'm getting into this
season, which I didn't have time to do before, is the other races we've seen
but haven't delved into much...the Hyach, the pak'ma'ra, a bit more on Minbari
culture, others...they've tended toward being window dressing, and I'd like to
fix that just a tad.