JMS on CompuServe (Oct 07, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Tue Oct 7 15:32:15 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #707562-#Help Me Promote Season 5
    Sb: #707444-Goodbye. Probably
    Sb: #707730-#CC Situation
    Sb: #707789-CC Situation
    Sb: #707809-Help Me Promote Season 5

 #: 707562 S5/Babylon 5: General
    06-Oct-97  11:48:39
Sb: #706819-#Help Me Promote Season 5
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

>>  I have something MUCH better in mind....

To my mind there is nothing so dangerous as someone with intelligence,
creativity and a penchant for holding a grudge...

Phil^^^^
FREE MARS!

 #: 707590 S5/Babylon 5: General
    06-Oct-97  14:00:11
Sb: #707562-#Help Me Promote Season 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Yeah...you'd think some people would figure that out by now.

       But in this case, don't worry...what I have in mind is absolutely
discreet and classy.

    05-Oct-97  22:35:11
Sb: #Goodbye. Probably
Fm: ELYSE M. GRASSO

Folks --

I've been following the B5 sections since back before there WAS even a single
B5 specific section, but I'm probably not going to join the migration to the
new forum.

My original reason for subscribing to Compuserve was to get tech support for
various pieces of hardware and software, and the SF Forums provided a nice
additional benefit.

Now, the official tech support has all migrated to the Web, and the peer
support forums are often the blind leading the blind. And I'm not sure what's
left in Compuserve is worth the monthly cost plus the hassle of locating and
configuring the right software packages: I run OS/2 on my desktop machine,
which doesn't have a real NISA compatible Compuserve access product available.

There is a chance I'll decide to stay after all -- I just bought a laptop and
loaded Windows NT onto it... but in case I don't, I wanted to say goodbye
before these sections shut down. I'll miss you.

-- Elyse M. Grasso

 #: 707742 S5/Babylon 5: General
    06-Oct-97  23:57:58
Sb: #707444-Goodbye. Probably
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I'd hold off on that decision for just a bit....

    06-Oct-97  22:43:58
Sb: #707377-#CC Situation
Fm: SCOTT MILLER

>>Now, you'll pardon me for being realistic, but I've got a show to run, and
that means we have to have scripts ready 4-5 weeks prior to shooting<<

Surely you jest!

Did you not read the interview of Alexander Siddig (Dr. Bashir of DS9) on page
41 of the Sept. issue of Dreamwatch?  He says (Re: his directorial debut) that
each DS9 episode takes seven pre-production and seven production days, and that
on the first day of pre-production, "Normally you don't have a script at that
stage or even a working script.  Maybe, as in our case, you might have the
first act or the teaser plus some extra added tidbits."

Do you *really* expect us to believe that you don't just throw scripts together
the day before shooting like the DS9 production staff apparently does? <g>

Scott

 #: 707743 S5/Babylon 5: General
    07-Oct-97  00:07:31
Sb: #707730-#CC Situation
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Actually, this is the one area (since you brought it up) where we tend to
shine.  Our scripts are finalized usually 4 in advance of shooting, so the
director has about a month to plan out his or her episode.  We've found this
makes all the difference in the world on budget, and the whole look of the
show.  The only changes that generally get made are in set locations, to make
things easier for the art department.  But beyond that, there aren't massive
changes (often any changes) to dialogue, story, character, any of that; we
rarely get past 2 drafts, and again, those are mainly for production reasons.

      We've kind of fallen a bit behind this season, due to my back and other
problems, but we're catching up again.

                                                                    jms

   operations?" ]

 #: 707834 S5/Babylon 5: General
    07-Oct-97  11:33:00
Sb: #707789-CC Situation
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Well, Corwin is technically Lochley's XO, but she's definitely involved
in the day-to-day stuff.  You'll understand when you see it.

    07-Oct-97  08:12:20
Sb: #707590-#Help Me Promote Season 5
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

>>       But in this case, don't worry...what I have in mind is absolutely
discreet and classy.

Joe..

Classy I'm down with (gee look at me using up to date slang), but if it's
discreet *I* won't know what you did, and *I* want to :)

(please feel free at this point to enclose a private step-by-step explanation
of your plans for critical review)

Phil^^^^
FREE MARS!

 #: 707835 S5/Babylon 5: General
    07-Oct-97  11:33:01
Sb: #707809-Help Me Promote Season 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       It's discreet...but not obscure.

       And best of all...it's eternal...and the whackos who've bugged me for
five years are not.