ATTN:JMS Question on the budget

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Mon Oct 20 06:30:45 EDT 1997

From: Gordon Wetmore <gwetmore at iag.net>
Date: 18 Oct 1997 16:43:40 -0400

only competitor(Babylon 5) is a failure managing to grab only
> :> a very small portion of the available customers.

Guys, this is very important. The Cast and Crew of B5 have very subtly,
and very irrevocably changed the way that SF shows are done. They've
accomplished this by bringing the show in ^under budget^ which is
sonething that previosly just wasn't done. Am I right about this Joe?
    If I am, my point's clear. You can be in the top ten shows and still

lose your shirt by spending more than you take in.

My understanding of the TV industry is that the purpose of the shows is
to make money. This is done by entertaining the people watching. And if
the money coming in as a result of this covers the cost of making the
show, it ^can't^ be a failure.

Gordon

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous about extremists is not that
they are extreme, but that they are intolerant.  The evil is not what
they say about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."
        -- Robert F. Kennedy