JMS on CompuServe (Oct 21, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Tue Oct 21 16:38:22 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #2211-#Soul mates (endgame)
    Sb: #2255-The Gathering
    Sb: #2344-You know what I want?
    Sb: #2403-Comic Book tidbit
    Sb: #2325-<<421/Empire of Light>>
    Sb: #2171-Endgame Critique
    Sb: #2370-Endgame Question
    Sb: Green Mars? <<Endgame>>

   both allying with the shadows, both with delusions of adaquacy, and
   both willing to see their planets go up in flames.   Was this by
   design or accident?" ]

 #: 2464 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    20-Oct-97  23:42:03
Sb: #2211-#Soul mates (endgame)
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I think tyrants all tend to have one thing or another in common.

                                                                    jms

 #: 2458 S2/Bab 5: General
    20-Oct-97  23:42:00
Sb: #2255-The Gathering
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Will the re-mastered version of The Gathering be released on Video here in
Europe ???"

      I've no idea if it'll be released that way anywhere, here included.

                                                                    jms

 #: 2344 (C) S2/Bab 5: General
    20-Oct-97  15:23:10
Sb: You know what I want?
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Hey, Joe,

    Now that I'm on such a high after 421, I think I have the courage to
ask you what I've been dying to ask you for a while now.  It's so trivial
in the overall scheme of things, but who the heck cares?  :-)

    Is there any chance at all of us seeing, in season five, my absolute
favorite guest character, Ta'Lon?  What the heck has happened to the guy?
I'd *love* to see he and Sheridan interact now, after all that's happened.

Thanks,

  -- Brent

 #: 2460 S2/Bab 5: General
    20-Oct-97  23:42:01
Sb: #2344-You know what I want?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I'm considering a way to slip him back in again for a bit....

                                                                    jms

 #: 2403 S2/Bab 5: General
    20-Oct-97  20:11:14
Sb: #Comic Book tidbit
Fm: RAY PELZER

Joe, when you have the time, have someone run to the local comic book shop and
pick up a copy of DC's Pinky & The Brain #18, which just hit the shelves last
week.   Actually, pick up two... one for Harlan as well.  When you hit the
first panel of page 1, I think you'll get a good giggle.

      Ray

   (and if you can't find any in the area, let me know and I'll scan the panel
and email it to you)

 #: 2461 S2/Bab 5: General
    20-Oct-97  23:42:01
Sb: #2403-Comic Book tidbit
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      So what's in it?  I can't get to a comics store for a while.

                                                                    jms

 #: 2325 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    20-Oct-97  14:11:13
Sb: #2189-<<421/Empire of Light>>
Fm: DAVID KUHN

Message text written by J. Michael Straczynski
>"If this had been it, I would've walked away with a great big smile and a
full heart."

      Exactly..it doesn't *end* the story, as people kept saying, "Oh, the arc
is being finished in year 4," it provides a sense of *resolution*, which is
different altogether, and leaves plenty of room for other planned stuff.<

I also feel satisfied.  It felt like closing the last page of a very long
novel.  I glad the novel will have a sequal (next year) <g>.  On the CGI of
Rising Star - the final views of B5 seemed stunning.   The station looked more
3D than normal.  The slow pan from its left side to its right side was
wonderfull.    The station stood out from the background more than usual.  Was
anything different done for that cgi scene?  It was probably some of the best
cgi yet.

dave

 #: 2462 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    20-Oct-97  23:42:02
Sb: #2325-<<421/Empire of Light>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...the only really different thing about the shot is the length of
it; usually our shots average 5-8 seconds; that one was about 15 seconds, so
you have more time to get used to what you're seeing, and absorb it, and make
it real.

                                                                    jms

 #: 2171 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    19-Oct-97  20:09:05
Sb: #2156-Endgame Critique
Fm: RON CHUSID

Message text written by Michael  Zitaglio
> That EA General situation had me puzzled. Was he good guy or a bad guy?  If
he was bad I find it hard to think he would switch sides so quickly. Maybe his
transfer of command was planned to aid SHeridans forces?<

I know your question was intended for JMS, and obviously he could give a
better answer as to what he intended. Until JMS responds I think this is a
good topic for discussion. My impression of it was that JMS didn't intend to
show him as purely good or evil. In defending what he considered the
legitimate Earth government against rebels, he saw himself doing the right
thing as a soldier. Hearing that Clark was dead and that the defense grid was
aimed at Earth, quickly changed everything. First of all, this probably
changed his opinion of the legitmacy of his orders to fight Sheridan's forces.
Secondly, regardless of his opinion of past events, destroying the defense
grid before it destroyed Earth was now the only sensible course of action.

 #: 2463 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    20-Oct-97  23:42:02
Sb: #2171-Endgame Critique
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Exactly.  Lefcourt does not think that his job is to set policy or
overthrow presidents.  The military executes orders that emanate from the head
of the government, through the chain of command.  Once that chain of command
was changed, the orders were no longer valid.

                                                                    jms

   dig up the information on the Alien Healing device?" ]

 #: 2465 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    20-Oct-97  23:42:03
Sb: #2370-Endgame Question
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Because Marcus sent the signal to B5 before the fleet jumped into
hyperspace, leaving Mars, toward Earth.  We in hyperspace for the result, the
search being concluded based on what was downloaded.

                                                                    jms

   similar to very high altitudes on Earth?  If so, this is a very nice
   touch, and something that I would anticipate to have occured that far
   in the future." ]

 #: 2459 S4/Bab 5: **SPOILERS**
    20-Oct-97  23:42:01
Sb: Green Mars? <<Endgame>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      My feeling is that there's been some small terraforming, which has
helped a little, but there's still a long way to go.