So long... [SiL spoilers]

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Tue Sep 30 06:25:25 EDT 1997

From: usenetmail at TCSconcordia.tor250.org (usenetmail)
Date: 29 Sep 1997 11:53:12 -0400

Spoilers up to Sleeping in Light.

The press releases of the final four episodes are finally available on the
spoiler page.

Frankly, I'm sick of it.  The ending of it all as depicted in The
Deconstruction of Falling Stars (501) is not the ending of a story that says
one person can make a difference, as JMS has been saying.  This is the ending
of a tragedy.

The moral here is that 'the bad guys always win.'  Earthforce gets their hands
on Shadow skin and weapons technology, with predictable results.

Sheridan surrenders to Earthgov, and is expelled from Earthforce for the
'crime' of overthrowing an illegitimate government.  Excuse me?  This is not
the message any truly lawful government should give to it's armed forces.

Clark has been defeated, but so what?  The replacement is almost entirely as
bad.  Even 500 years into the future, Earthgov is performing the role of the
Shadows, trying to move out and take over by force.  Dispite the best efforts,
of the characters, the future is on rails and cannot be changed.

I note with interest that the cynics among rastb5m are often derided and
otherwise harassed, but the information I have found almost entirely a
vindication of what I have been saying from day one.

I've had enough of Babylon 5.  Period.  I'm going to spend the time I used to
watch B5 for something much more productive: reading books.  I've removed all
my web bookmarks, my fanfic collection, and all the other various things that
I have collected this year.  Good riddance -- I will use the extra disk space
for something worthwhile.

Up to ItF was good, but I can't stand the aftermath, or what I see as JMS'
condescending and holier than thou attitude towards fans.

Bye, guys.  Enjoy yourselves.