JMS on CompuServe (Apr 02, 1998) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at johndelenn.com bbarrett at johndelenn.com
Thu Apr 2 16:01:09 EST 1998

    Sb: #26852-#Channel 4 UK B5 showing
    Sb: #26879-Vir's wife
    Sb: #26808-Na'toth - yay
    Sb: #26920-#TNT ALERT S5 Schedule
    Sb: #27045-#<I Hate nasty Rumors>
    Sb: #26887-IaE
    Sb: #26883-I&E - Unwoven threads

 #: 26852 S3/Bab 5:International
    31-Mar-98  13:31:06
Sb: Channel 4 UK B5 showing
Fm: SIMON GRIERSON

Hi

Could I partake your time for a few seconds.

The thing is, Channel 4 have decided to show B5 at a 12:40PM timeslot for the
forseeable future for Season 5 (their Web-site indicates as such).

The greatest concern for everyone posting on the Channel 4 forum (Reach 4) is
that this timeslot excludes many from seeing fully uncut versions of the show,
and in essensce, the timeslot minimises the viewership of the show.

Would you not agree that you aim B5 squarely at the 16-adult group - rather
than children and young teenagers? IT seems Channel 4 have the opinion that B5
should be shown in such a timeslot that the Tellytubby crowd can get a look
in.

The biggest concern, however, is that this timeslot is usually when people are
eating their sunday roast , or worst still, in bed recouping from Saturday's
late night out.

The general concensus is that the 12:40pm slot os way too early.

If at all possible, - as the creator and executive producer of the show, are
you able to lend credence to any campaign to get Channel 4 to reschedule?

As an artist, does it not aggreive you that your masterpeice is not being
shown as it was intended?

I thank you,
a fan,
Simon Grierson.

 #: 26950 S3/Bab 5:International
    31-Mar-98  23:41:09
Sb: #26852-#Channel 4 UK B5 showing
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I have zip influence on when anyone screens B5...it's not in my
jurisdiction.

                                                                    jms

 #: 26951 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    31-Mar-98  23:41:10
Sb: #26879-Vir's wife
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Some terrors even Vir cannot escape....

                                                                    jms

 #: 26952 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    31-Mar-98  23:41:10
Sb: #26808-Na'toth - yay
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      You have to join SAG after having done a certain amount of work in SAG
jurisdiction.

                                                                    jms

 #: 26920 S2/Bab 5: General
    31-Mar-98  20:12:09
Sb: #26573-TNT ALERT S5 Schedule
Fm: MARTIN ROTH

 >> so they're timing the new cycle of S5 eps, starting from the beginning, so
these folks can catch up after the end of the S1-4 episodes. <<

Joe, do you know if they're rerunning all 17 before they move on to the last
five?

-- Marty     PPG

 #: 27063 S2/Bab 5: General
    01-Apr-98  20:44:01
Sb: #26920-#TNT ALERT S5 Schedule
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, they're rerunning all 17 before the final 5, so the folks who've
been waiting can catch up.

                                                                    jms

** REMOVE **

     "A friend just called us to say that someone is saying that
     the cast quit because they aren't getting their raises. This
     is an absolute LIE. They were all let go because TNT wants a
     whole new show. This is not rumor it is fact. In fact it was
     not done very nicely either. The cast was let go from the
     show THEY DID NOT QUIT.

     Bruce will not be at any more publicity events for the show,
     he will go to cons only. There is no reason to promote a show
     that TNT doesn't want, and he is not in the new show. Cons
     are for fans, publicity is for the producers and network.

     Did you guys know that they also fired John Flinn, the
     director of photography? Don't know why, can't tell who."
 ]

 #: 27071 S2/Bab 5: General
    01-Apr-98  21:54:01
Sb: #27045-#<I Hate nasty Rumors>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      See, here's what I don't understand in all this.

      It's not that the cast was let go, THE SHOW IS OVER.  You can only "let
go" of an actor if the show continues and the actor is out.  THE SHOW IS OVER.
I've been saying for five years, "This is a five year story.  When it's over,
it's over."

      I think part of the problem was that some in the cast didn't want to
ever deal with the reality of that until it hit them.  I read many interviews
where they said, "Well, Joe says it's a five year story, but I don't see any
reason why this can't go on."  If you cushion yourself from it, then it can
only hit you in the face later.  (On the last few days of shooting, several
people asked, "Why couldn't it have been a *six* year arc?  Why the arbitrary
five?"  It is what it is.

      Toward the end of filming, we spoke to all the cast, apprised them of
the work progressing toward a feature film, the likelihood of additional TV
movies before then, and so on.  But we also said, specifically, "Babylon 5 the
series is over."

      But you must admit that it's quite a jump between "the series is over"
and "the actors were fired."  Technically speaking, EVERYONE is fired when a
show is over.

      As for Crusade, there are a couple of people who might transition over,
but that is *a different series*.  And must have its own identity (should it
go into production).  You maybe do one or two B5 feature films, with the whole
cast, as Crusade runs on a separate track on TV.

      As for John Flinn...same situation.  John was the DP on B5 for all five
years, minus those episodes DPd by Fred Murphy.  Babylon 5 is now over, and so
that task is over.  Crusade (see previous disclaimer) should have an entirely
different look from B5, to make it its own show, and that generally requires a
different DP.  That's pretty much standard in the business.

                                                                    jms

   first time and really enjoyed it. ]

 #: 27064 S4/Seas. 1-4 SPOILERS
    01-Apr-98  20:44:02
Sb: #26887-IaE
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Cool....

                                                                    jms

   in "Interludes and Examinations." ]

 #: 27065 S4/Seas. 1-4 SPOILERS
    01-Apr-98  20:44:02
Sb: #26883-I&E - Unwoven threads
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Kosh may have known that this moment would come, but knowing the price
that he would almost certainly have to pay...it wasn't easy, and one can
forgive Kosh for his outburst.  I think, in the end, he was afraid, for a
moment, a human thing...but he did what was necessary.