JMS on CompuServe (Apr 16, 1998) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at johndelenn.com bbarrett at johndelenn.com
Thu Apr 16 20:21:56 EDT 1998

    Sb: #27980-#Crusade Confirmed
    Sb: #27942-#Crusade Confirmed
    Sb: #28027-Crusade Confirmed
    Sb: #27965-Peter David and ITB book
    Sb: #27966-#<<The Rock Cried Out>>
    Sb: #28123-#Crusade Confirmed
    Sb: #28259-Crusade Confirmed
    Sb: #28289-Crusade Confirmed
    Sb: #28084-#Crusade Confirmed
    Sb: #28066-Crusade Confirmed
    Sb: #28199-Any new pieces into old?
    Sb: #28272-Walter Koenig's book
    Sb: #28087-#<<The Rock Cried Out>>
    Sb: #28613-#The Progress of Year 5
    Sb: #29090-<<The Rock Cried Out>>
    Sb: #Vorlon-Shadow Conflict
    Sb: #29038-VALAN

 #: 27980 S2/Bab 5: General
    06-Apr-98  20:02:05
Sb: #27908-#Crusade Confirmed
Fm: MARTIN ROTH

Joe,

The first time you made one of these announcements here, when the pilot was
approved, my reaction was essentially, "Oh, that sounds interesting."  I might
even have come out of lurking for one of my (then) twice-annual posts to say
something like that. I expected to see just another SF TV show, hopefully
entertaining, but nothing extraordinary.

This time I know better.

Because over the last five years, you've changed my entire frame of reference.
The story arc concept was part of that, but really only a minor part. The big
piece was the fact that you treated us, the viewers, with respect. Rather than
go for the "lowest common denominator" you assumed that we had a bit of
intelligence. Instead of asking us to turn off our brains to vegetate in front
of the television for an hour, you *required* us to think. I expect that
Crusade will be a very different show from B5 - you've already stated that the
arc will be less intense and that you want to have a bit more "fun" with it -
but I know that the really important part, the thought-provoking part, will
still be there.

And that's why I'm so excited, this time.

Congratulations. Again. And thanks for giving me something to be excited
about.

-- Marty     PPG

 #: 28034 S2/Bab 5: General
    07-Apr-98  01:30:02
Sb: #27980-#Crusade Confirmed
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...and yeah, I want it to be as much on the edge as B5, but in a
slightly different way.  Why can't an SF show be as much on the cutting edge
in its storytelling as a Homicide or NYPD Blue?  So I'm going to gradually
start playing with the format, and see where it takes me.  If it ain't gonna
be better than what we did before, ain't much point to doing it....

                                                                    jms

 #: 27942 S2/Bab 5: General
    06-Apr-98  17:21:00
Sb: #27939-Crusade Confirmed
Fm: ANITA KARVE

Thanks for the info about the Reporter. After I posted that first message, I
checked the Web, and the publication is online (www.hollywoodreporter.com).

This information might be useful for folks outside North America who might
have a rough time finding a paper copy.

Another question regarding Crusade. I believe you stated you'll only write
about half the episodes for the new series. How do you find outside writers?
With Neil Gaiman, it was obvious. You're a fan of his and vice versa, but for
other potential writers do you solicit resumes/writing samples/outlines?

Again, congratulations on the great news about Crusade.

Anita

 #: 28033 S2/Bab 5: General
    07-Apr-98  01:30:01
Sb: #27942-#Crusade Confirmed
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"With Neil Gaiman, it was obvious. You're a fan of his and vice versa, but for
other potential writers do you solicit resumes/writing samples/outlines?"

      Usually, I know the writer's work, so it's just a matter of getting them
in and handing them a premise (or in some rare cases, asking them to come up
with a story pitch).  If it's someone whose work I don't readily know -- and
this is rare for me to do on a first season, when I know that every episode
has to kick -- I'll call the person's agent and get some samples of their
prior produced work.

      Since there are only 11 available slots for this season, that doesn't
leave a lot of room right off the bat, and I have about 6-7 writers in mind
for the rest, so it's already close to being locked down before we've even
started.

                                                                    jms

   you going to just prime the pump and let it flow?" ]

 #: 28035 S2/Bab 5: General
    07-Apr-98  01:30:02
Sb: #28027-Crusade Confirmed
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It'll have a five year arc, but not as rigorous as the B5 arc.

                                                                    jms

   Beginning by Peter David and he had scenes in there that weren't in
   the movie." ]

 #: 28036 S2/Bab 5: General
    07-Apr-98  01:30:02
Sb: #27965-Peter David and ITB book
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, Peter added that stuff on his own.

                                                                    jms

   cried out, no hiding place.'" ]

 #: 28037 S4/Seas. 1-4 SPOILERS
    07-Apr-98  01:30:02
Sb: #27966-#<<The Rock Cried Out>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, it's an offbeat favorite of mine....

                                                                    jms

 #: 28175 S2/Bab 5: General
    07-Apr-98  23:19:02
Sb: #28123-#Crusade Confirmed
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      As best I can determine, my first real free time (a week or better) is
in May 1999.

                                                                    jms

 #: 28259 S2/Bab 5: General
    08-Apr-98  14:26:02
Sb: #28175-#Crusade Confirmed
Fm: CARL CANTARELLA

>>As best I can determine, my first real free time (a week or better) is in
May 1999.<<

	Joe, you're a workaholic, though I suppose that's a hell of a lot
better than being an alcoholic, or a lot of other types of  'oholics'. ;)
		Still, do you _ever_  just sit back to smell the roses or
watch a sunset? I find myself wondering where you would find the time.

 #: 28345 S2/Bab 5: General
    08-Apr-98  23:07:11
Sb: #28259-Crusade Confirmed
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Still, do you _ever_  just sit back to smell the roses or watch a sunset? I
find myself wondering where you would find the time."

      I would like to, some time...my fantasy is having just one day, to go
out and do nothing...no deadlines hanging over my head...no frenzied phone
calls from actors or agents or studios or networks...I realized how much I'd
like this when I was writing Londo's speech in "In the Beginning," about
giving anything for just five minutes on a beach...and I realized that it
wasn't entirely just Londo talking.

   suggesting you take a holiday.  I hope you won't think we're
   nagging." ]

 #: 28346 S2/Bab 5: General
    08-Apr-98  23:07:12
Sb: #28289-Crusade Confirmed
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Nah...occasional wistfulness notwithstanding, I wouldn't have it any
other way.  Understand that I'm in the best position imaginable: people are
paying me for something I'd have to do for free, because I can't not write. I
get to write, and tell my stories my way, and make a decent living.  How much
more can anyone ask for?  And with all that, it seems inappropriate to
complain about the hours.

                                                                    jms

   forsee moving to Crusade?" ]

 #: 28174 S2/Bab 5: General
    07-Apr-98  23:19:02
Sb: #28084-#Crusade Confirmed
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I imagine we'll keep about 95% of the production crew on the move to
Crusade.

                                                                    jms

 #: 28066 S2/Bab 5: General
    07-Apr-98  08:39:06
Sb: #28033-Crusade Confirmed
Fm: ANITA KARVE

Any chance Kathryn Drennan will be one of those writers? I know it's probably
too early for you to know for sure. I thought "By Any Means Necessary" was a
fine episode, and although I'm not one to read novels based on television, I
really liked her B5 #9 novel.

I've seen you say you're trying to get her to write another novel. I hope
she'll consider participating in "Crusade" as well.

Regards,

Anita

 #: 28173 S2/Bab 5: General
    07-Apr-98  23:19:02
Sb: #28066-Crusade Confirmed
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It's something I've discussed with her...if she comes up with a story
she wants to tell, she's said she'll do one.

                                                                    jms

 #: 28199 S2/Bab 5: General
    08-Apr-98  06:53:07
Sb: #27941-#Any new pieces into old?
Fm: DAVID DERUBEIS

Actually, Joe, I was under the impression that the guy was asking if you had
taken scenes filmed in later seasons and inserted them into earlier episodes
for the reruns.  I'm pretty sure that nothing like that has ever been done.

David

 #: 28347 S2/Bab 5: General
    08-Apr-98  23:07:12
Sb: #28199-Any new pieces into old?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Oh...in that case, no, that hasn't been done (must've misunderstood the
question).

                                                                    jms

   had worked on before B5... and it was from that you decided to cast
   him in a part." ]

 #: 28348 S2/Bab 5: General
    08-Apr-98  23:07:12
Sb: #28272-Walter Koenig's book
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Actually, it was a play, The Boys in Autumn, but I'd wanted to work with
him long before then.

                                                                    jms

   other upcoming faves of yours...and you have the time, I'd be
   interesting in hearing so I can pay extra close attention for
   them!" ]

 #: 28176 S4/Seas. 1-4 SPOILERS
    07-Apr-98  23:19:02
Sb: #28087-#<<The Rock Cried Out>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I have a lot of favorites...too many to break out, and one should favor
all one's children equally...even the occasional idiot child.

                                                                    jms

 #: 28613 S2/Bab 5: General
    10-Apr-98  16:04:12
Sb: #23384-The Progress of Year 5
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

Joe,

I've been out for a bit, got stuck in New Orleans for three and a half weeks
fixing a problem but am now back in good old Alexandria VA.

While there, I met a guy, very smart, who got into B5 last season. His comment
to me was, "B5 use to be cool, but this season sucks, it's just too slow."
Before becoming unglued, I established that his frame of reference was
essentially from Into the Fire, to now...

I hade to explain...

This is a *very* smart person. The brighter you are, the more you are just
*looking* to be disappointed. It's happened *so much* you assume that every
show is ST and by the middle of the season the're gonna forget everything they
introduced and and get on with sucking...

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

it may never end...

Phil^^^^
FREE MARS!

 #: 28874 S2/Bab 5: General
    12-Apr-98  14:53:13
Sb: #28613-#The Progress of Year 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I'm used to it.  Happens every year.  Then the next year is the sucky
one, and last year was cool.  It's pro forma.

                                                                    jms

 #: 29128 S4/Seas. 1-4 SPOILERS
    14-Apr-98  00:42:00
Sb: #29090-<<The Rock Cried Out>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Rock is an old spiritual going back to the Civil War; the bar song was
developed by Chris Franke; and Byron's little ditty was something I came up
with.

      Some of the songs (as from Walkabout) are on the CDs.

                                                                    jms

 #: 29277 S4/Seas. 1-4 SPOILERS
    15-Apr-98  00:57:09
Sb: #Vorlon-Shadow Conflict
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, the shadows definitely didn't try their advancement routine on the
vorlons; they were cases of parallel evolution at similar periods.

                                                                    jms

   recording by Valen, he mentions Catherine finding the recording,
   as if she was not with him." ]

 #: 29174 S7/Babylon 5 Novels
    14-Apr-98  11:27:12
Sb: #29038-VALAN
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It was a typo; that name shouldn't have been in the message, it slipped
past.