JMS on CompuServe (Aug 14, 1998) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at johndelenn.com bbarrett at johndelenn.com
Fri Aug 14 18:01:16 EDT 1998

    Sb: #42598-#Hugos
    Sb: #42694-Hugos
    Sb: #42590-B5 at Bucky
    Sb: Recommendation
    Sb: #42732-#History
    Sb: #42552-#sNoW whiTe RedUx
    Sb: #42728-sNoW whiTe RedUx
    Sb: #43129-#jms out of worldcon
    Sb: #42802-#ComicCon
    Sb: B5 at ComicCon Canceled
    Sb: #42781-#History
    Sb: #42833-#History

 #: 42598 S2/Bab 5: General
    09-Aug-98  06:14:01
Sb: #42436-#Hugos
Fm: ANNE L. WARNER

>> The fellow who accepted the Hugo for "Contact" (I didn't catch his name but
he was designated to accept the Hugo for all the films) began his acceptance
speech thanking all the B5 fans for being unable to decide on a single
episode. That resulted in laughter from the audience. <<

It got a laugh here, too.  I wonder whether he's right!

Anne

 #: 42691 S2/Bab 5: General
    09-Aug-98  18:59:14
Sb: #42598-#Hugos
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, he's correct.  Basically, B5 episodes took up the slots from 6
through 11; nearly every episode got nominations.  Any two of them put
together would've put it atop the nominations.  They were just too many
episodes that got noms, and spread the thing out too far.

 #: 42694 S2/Bab 5: General
    09-Aug-98  19:55:14
Sb: #42691-#Hugos
Fm: SYSOP DUPA T. PARROT

Joe,

If a B5 episode or one of the movies makes the Hugo ballot next year, are you
going to Australia?

 -SysOp Dupa T. Parrot, Technical Consultant
 http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dupa
 OzWin 2.20 O-

 #: 42703 S2/Bab 5: General
    09-Aug-98  23:22:04
Sb: #42694-Hugos
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      If I'm up for a Hugo, I'll go anywhere.

                                                                    jms

 #: 42590 S2/Bab 5: General
    08-Aug-98  20:49:10
Sb: #B5 at Bucky
Fm: SYSOP DUPA T. PARROT

Joe,

That was a fine set of videos you sent to Bucky. The trailer and first act to
River Of Souls looks really good. The five seasons of out-takes and music
videos were a hoot too.

The punch-line "mostly women" from the trailer was almost lost due to the
sound system in Hall E. The sound was a little weak during other events too.
The room seemed large enough to hold all your "people" as there were a number
of empty seats. The four big video screens made it much easier to see the
action. I was in the back of the room and was able to see two out of the four
clearly.

While working Reg on Saturday morning, I was registering a couple and their
four-year-old son. The four-year-old spied my B5FC button and yelled "You have
a Babylon 5 badge!" I told him that he could get his very own in the Dealers
room. He was excited. Cute kid, but smart <g>.

 -SysOp Dupa T. Parrot, Technical Consultant
 http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dupa
 OzWin 2.20 O-

 #: 42591 S2/Bab 5: General
    08-Aug-98  23:24:04
Sb: #42590-B5 at Bucky
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Great report, thanks.

                                                                    jms

 #: 42770 S2/Bab 5: General
    10-Aug-98  14:52:00
Sb: Recommendation
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Okay...I told you about Squirrel Nut Zippers, and Portishead (those of
you with good taste got that one, feh on the rest), and Cherry Poppin' Daddies
and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy before most anybody else...and South Park just a bit
before they broke out....

      Well, here's another recommendation, in the direction of the surreal and
the very funny and very weird.

      Sifl and Ollie.  MTV, weeknights at 12:30.  When you see what it is,
you'll think I've lost my mind to recommend it.  But just trust me on this.
Give it a chance.

                                                                    jms

 #: 42732 S9/Crusade:PreProductn
    10-Aug-98  08:07:12
Sb: #History
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

Joe,

I was just browsing a collection of you posts (on Genie or the 'net) and came
across this one. Sometimes, to appriciate where we are, it is useful to
remember where we were. I submit this as proof of the distance of the journey
and as a suggestion of where you may be at the end of Crusade.

Also it demonstrates with great effectiveness, the concept of honesty and
honor, two traits that my generation cannot seem to muster the faith needed to
think well of.

with my greatest respects,

Phil^^^^
FREE MARS!

Category 18,  Topic 2Message 172       Sun Dec 20, 1992
STRACZYNSKI [Joe]            at 22:39 EST
     Joey: no comment.  (You want I should blow the surprise?)
     Re: comments here...if I found it annoying, I wouldn't be here.
     If this were just about flak, about hyping a series, what you'd get would
be what you got when they used other systems to plug "Sneakers," for
instance...a quick or several-month blitzkrieg, a one-way (for the most part)
outflow of information, and then it stops.
     For me, the best part of writing is *dialogue*.  I'm fascinated by
dialogue...interpersonal, political, social, electronic, you name it.  And for
the last five years, I've been trying to develop a dialogue with the SF
communityNot just, "Here's what I'm doing, here's the show, watch it, give us
ratings, and be quiet," but rather, "Here's what I'm doing...how close is this
to what you've been wishing someone would do?  What are you tired of?  What do
you think of this part over here?"  Not so much specific advice, but
attitudes, sort of getting a sense of the room.
     My feeling is that SF fans are consistently the most abused and taken-
advantage-of group around.  Especially when it comes to media.   Every six
months or so, somebody comes in to shill for a new show, they get everyone's
hopes up, then either walk away if the show is a hit, or flat out lie.  I
know, I've been in the audience.  And as a result, many SF fans have grown
understandably cynical about the whole process, they seem now to *expect* to
be lied to, to expect that it's going to be  same old crap they got before.
     And to me, this process is about changing that perception.
     In most cases of publicizing a show, there is a buffer between the
creator or head of a show, and the viewers.  There is no buffer in this case;
if the show fails, I'm right out here with a "Kick Me" sign on my back.  If it
works, I convey that back to the other creative people involved.  From
standard Hollywood perceptions, that is a very risky and dangerous thing to
do.  For me...it's dialogue.
     SF fans have always stood by their shows and been loyal, often to be
repaid by being shilled and hyped and thought of as (as one studio person put
it) vegetables witbooks...as long as they keep buying the products, the
merchandising, and stay quiet, that's fine.
     I would like this process to be part of a rapproachment, to be more open
and to encourage a two-way conversation.  That conversation was had during the
years this show was waiting to spring forth, and will contin afterward.  (When
I did the LosCon presentation, during the Q&A following, one fellow asked if
this would stop once the show got on the air, once we had gotten what we
wanted: ratings.  And that has been the case in the past.  For as long as I
can type and plug into a modem, that will not be the case here.)
     Like any dialogue, there are moments of conflict and frustration, and
moments of revelation.  So on all levels, this has been a fascinating and
intriguing conversation.  I have benefitted from it, and enjoy it despite the
occasional hassles, and look forward to doing so in future, as long as the
audience will want to continue the dialogue.
     I hope that somewhere in that flurry of words I've answered yourquestion.
                                                            jms

 #: 42763 S9/Crusade:PreProductn
    10-Aug-98  12:17:02
Sb: #42732-#History
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Boy, if I'd only known what I was setting myself up for....

                                                                    jms

   of Cricket Creek" was J. Michael Straczynski. ]

 #: 42592 S20/Beyond The Rim
    08-Aug-98  23:24:05
Sb: #42552-#sNoW whiTe RedUx
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I have only done one cute thing in my life.  That was it.

      Continue this discussion and I keel you slow....

                                                                    jms

 #: 42728 S20/Beyond The Rim
    10-Aug-98  07:52:14
Sb: #42592-#sNoW whiTe RedUx
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

>>      I have only done one cute thing in my life.  That was it.

no no no no no...no no...

I really think we need to examine this matter further...

What...pray tell...is "The Shy Stegasaurus of Cricket Creek"?

Joe...did you write something "for kids"?

..did you sell out?

Phil^^^^
FREE MARS!

 #: 42764 S20/Beyond The Rim
    10-Aug-98  12:17:02
Sb: #42728-sNoW whiTe RedUx
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, didn't sell out...it just came out looking a hell of a lot cuter
than I had been led to think, and it's kind of a cute story...hell, it is what
it is....

                                                                    jms

 #: 43129 S2/Bab 5: General
    13-Aug-98  12:51:02
Sb: #41990-#jms out of worldcon
Fm: JOE DRAZI

>> I got hit about a week ago with walking pneumonia, <<

Joe,

You should be watching your health more. Are you sleeping at least 8 hours
/night? If no, then do it, what ever the cost. It is a proven fact that your
health and creativity will suffer greatly with sleep deprivation. Pick up the
book by  Dr. James Maas "Power Sleep" It will make a believer out of you.
Second, Get on a vitamin C regimen it's simple 1 1500mg  time release at each
meal. In as little as six weeks your immune system will be at it's peak and
illness will be a thing of the past. Hey, it worked for me and I have the most
loused up diet and sleeping patterns of anyone. Good Luck, we're all counting
on you.

  -Joe Drazi

 #: 43138 S2/Bab 5: General
    13-Aug-98  14:01:01
Sb: #43129-#jms out of worldcon
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Had a bit of a rebound, for that reason, haven't been getting as much
sleep as I should've wit the first weeks of filming...not monstrous, but
vastly annoying.  It's exactly what I was told would happen, but not as bad as
it would've been if I'd've gone to WorldCon.

                                                                    jms

 #: 42802 S2/Bab 5: General
    10-Aug-98  20:39:04
Sb: #ComicCon
Fm: SYSOP LEE WHITESIDE

I didn't see anyone else asking this, so might as well check now.  What's the
likelyhood  you'll feel up to making it down to San Diego this Saturday for
your ComicCon presentation?  Or should we expect a telecommuting jms
presentation?

 #: 42804 S2/Bab 5: General
    10-Aug-98  23:07:14
Sb: #42802-#ComicCon
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I should be able to make it down for ComicCon, though just for the
afternoon of the presentation.

                                                                    jms

 #: 43239 S2/Bab 5: General
    14-Aug-98  13:38:12
Sb: B5 at ComicCon Canceled
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I've left email for the folks at San Diego Comic Con, but haven't yet
heard back, and I want folks to have the most time to adjust their schedules.

      As the doctor predicted, the pneumonia -- after a week of feeling a
little better -- has rebouned with a vengeance.  Going back in today for a
follow-up exam and more workups.  It's not as bad as it would've been had I
gone to WorldCon (that's what they keep telling me; feeling as I do I have a
hard time believing it because if it's true, I can't even imagine what that
would be like given what it's like *now*), but it's laid me pretty low.

      Consequently, I won't be able to do the B5 presentation at San Diego
Comic Con on Saturday, or be there for the autographing session.  There isn't
any way to set up a replacement person and material, so it's going to have to
be canceled outright.

      SDCC is one of my two favorite conventions, that and LosCon; I haven't
missed either in something on the order of 12 years.  (If nothing else I go to
SDCC just to shop in the dealer's room for cool Superman stuff.)  But this
record has to be broken, much to my considerable dismay.

                                                                    jms

 #: 42781 S9/Crusade:PreProductn
    10-Aug-98  15:16:04
Sb: #42763-History
Fm: GRAHAM SMITH

>>Boy, if I'd only known what I was setting myself up for....<<

Well, you do now.  So for the 64 gazillion dollar question:

Will you continue to do this with Crusade?   In the same way?  More selective?

IOW, what will you do different this time around.

--Graham

 #: 42805 S9/Crusade:PreProductn
    10-Aug-98  23:07:14
Sb: #42781-#History
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, I'll be pulling back quite a bit after B5 is over.  It's that or go
mad.

                                                                    jms

 #: 42833 S9/Crusade:PreProductn
    11-Aug-98  09:40:13
Sb: #42805-#History
Fm: WIZOP WES MEIER

>> No, I'll be pulling back quite a bit after B5 is over.  It's that or go
mad. <<

On Genie, sure.  UseNet? Absolutely.  AOL? Definately!  But, PLEASE, not here.

                - Wes

 #: 42856 S9/Crusade:PreProductn
    11-Aug-98  15:42:12
Sb: #42833-#History