Sleeping in Light ( *Spoilers* )

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Tue Dec 1 06:26:09 EST 1998

From: Reverend Sean O'Hara <oharava at erols.com>
Date: 29 Nov 1998 14:39:35 -0700

Spoilers for Sleeping in Light

Sergey Bukhman wrote:

> Reverend Sean O'Hara wrote:
>
> > That SiL was a miserable failure, and the whole of S5 introduced too
> > many plot threads, few of which were cleared up satisfactorally, and
> > those at the cost of older plot threads?
> >
> > ...well, that's what everyone outside the rastb5.denebian is saying.
> >

> You know, I have no problems with your opinion. You disliked the show,
> fine. I even regret it because I know that I will remember it as a
> wonderful experience, and I wish everyone could.
>
> But your reaction goes far beyond "I didn't like it". You are becoming
> obsessive about this. In the last few day you posted a few dozen
> messages saying the same thing "I didn't like it.".

Anyone familiar with my posting history on rast would note that I have
defended B5 on multiple occassions. It has been my favourite show
(although season 5 has been bumped out by Buffy the Vampire Slayer,
sorry, Joe). I've also criticised other shows with equal vigor (Go back
to last springs DS9 Tears of the Prophet Deus ex machina debate). The
fact is, while I've enjoyed B5 immensely, the last season hasn't been
up to snuff, and the final resolution (or lack there of), culminating
in SiL has left me extremely annoyed. I've only felt closure with half
of the story lines (Garibaldi, Sheridan/Delenn(partly. There's still
the incident with David), Franklin and the station). There are still
big gaping holes in the narrative which I wanted to know about. Instead
I get three episodes of "Goodbye Michael" "Good bye John" "Goodbye
Franklin" "Goodbye John", etc.

--
Reverend Sean O'Hara
You two can be an ordained minister: http://ulc.org/ulc

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)
Date: 30 Nov 1998 16:46:41 -0700

Dear Mr. Tolkien:

I just wanted to say that I think the way you ended THE LORD OF THE RINGS was
crap.  You didn't provide any closure.  Instead of spending time with the
hobbits clearing out the shire (come on, urban renwal in LoTR? give me a break)
and lots of goodbyes, you SHOULD have shown me what happened to Tom Bombadil,
he was an important part of the story, and you just left his story thread there
unresolved.

You made a big deal out of the elves going to the west, but we never SAW it!
We never found out what was there, or what Bilbo found when he got there, or
what happened to the dwarves, or what happened to Merry and Pippin....

You betrayed your audience by not resolving every single plot thread you
introduced in your book, and as a result, it is never going to be of value to
anyone, ever, and will never go past its first printing.