JMS on CompuServe (Dec 16, 1998) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* (1/5)

bbarrett at johndelenn.com bbarrett at johndelenn.com
Thu Dec 17 01:31:25 EST 1998

    Sb: #52881-#Babylon 5
    Sb: #52962-#Babylon 5
    Sb: #53101-#Babylon 5
    Sb: #52901-#It's over.
    Sb: #52907-#Well done, sir.
    Sb: #52937-#That was a good story
    Sb: #52970-That was a good story
    Sb: #52995-#That was a good story
    Sb: #52939-#Bravo!!
    Sb: #52971-#Many thanks
    Sb: #52989-#How did it feel?
    Sb: #53173-#More soggy tissues :-)
    Sb: #53967-More soggy tissues :-)
    Sb: #53311-#A little bit of history
    Sb: #53312-From my husband...

  [ Note: There were lots of "Thank you" messages to which JMS simply
    replied with a "Thank you."  I've removed them from this posting
    to save room, and only kept those which added something to the
    understanding of the show or the people involved.  -- Brent ]

 #: 53024 S2/Bab 5: General
    26-Nov-98  13:47:04
Sb: #52962-#Babylon 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, Vir did not have a Keeper.  He helped to free Centauri Prime.

                                                                    jms

 #: 53360 S2/Bab 5: General
    29-Nov-98  23:24:04
Sb: #53101-#Babylon 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...and that's the desired sense of it, that this is a place that
goes on, and we saw this part of it.

                                                                    jms

 #: 52928 S2/Bab 5: General
    25-Nov-98  22:14:06
Sb: #52907-#Well done, sir.
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thank you, I appreciate hearing all that...and yeah, that was me....

                                                                    jms

 #: 53026 S2/Bab 5: General
    26-Nov-98  13:47:05
Sb: #52995-#That was a good story
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, and yeah, it was definitely pretty intense on-set for that ep.

                                                                    jms

 #: 52989 S2/Bab 5: General
    26-Nov-98  09:07:13
Sb: #How did it feel?
Fm: MICHAEL KALUS

Hi,

I am sure you got this message at least a 100 times, but how did it feel to
flip the switch that everything ended, after 4 years, and how was the feeling
after you could carry on with your Story?

Michael

 #: 53028 S2/Bab 5: General
    26-Nov-98  13:47:05
Sb: #52989-#How did it feel?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      As noted elsewhere here...it was just real hard.

                                                                    jms

 #: 53366 S2/Bab 5: General
    30-Nov-98  00:06:10
Sb: #53311-#A little bit of history
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"The biggest difference I noticed in your old posts was the "tone" -- you
seemed more "upbeat". I guess the past 5 years of working 26 hour days,
dealing with online jerks, and fighting with the various suits over renewal
EVERY DAMN YEAR have taken a toll on your overall outlook."

      It was a number of different factors, really...those wars, the daily
grind of writing and producing this show, the online experiment (which was 90%
terrific and 10% nutcases)...over time, it all takes a real toll.

      (Somewhat related aside...I was redoing my list of credits the other day
for the PR file, which goes to reporters, and started adding up how much of
what I've written has been produced, on a per-hour basis.  These are just the
produced TV episodes -- half-hour and hour -- and TV movies, nothing else.

      (Came out that if you started watching it all, no repeats, 8 hours a
day, it would take you slightly over 3 weeks to see it all.  I went to lie
down for a while after that one.)

                                                                    jms

 #: 53367 S2/Bab 5: General
    30-Nov-98  00:06:10
Sb: #53312-From my husband...
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks for the kind words, and good luck with your ventures.

      What's the final result?  I hope a document, thousands of pages long,
that chronicles the making of a show on every level, so that average folks can
better understand the process and, thus, better communicate what it is they
want, on the theory that you can never have what you want until you know how
to ask for it, and what your options are.

      That, and maybe making some people think...if even that is accomplished,
then the experiment was worthwhile.

                                                                    jms

 [ Continued in next section -- BB ]