JMS on CompuServe (Dec 16, 1998) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* (2/5)

bbarrett at johndelenn.com bbarrett at johndelenn.com
Thu Dec 17 01:31:49 EST 1998

 [ Continued from previous section -- BB ]

    Sb: #53349-Thanks JMS!
    Sb: #53553-#JMS did not reply to me
    Sb: #53630-JMS did not reply to me
    Sb: #53595-#Dreaming in Light/Thanks
    Sb: #53786-#Dreaming in Light/Thanks
    Sb: #53614-#About Final Episodes
    Sb: #53643-#Babylon 5
    Sb: #53790-#Babylon 5
    Sb: #53728-Garibaldi's Drinking
    Sb: #53926-#Thank you
    Sb: #53972-Thank you JMS
    Sb: #54275-B5 Swords?
    Sb: #54288-O.C.D in Babylon 5
    Sb: #54347-level of satisfaction
    Sb: #52461-#Objects at Rest
    Sb: #52711-#Objects at Rest
    Sb: #52903-#SiL
    Sb: #52906-#<SiL - tears>
    Sb: #52935-#<SiL - tears>
    Sb: #52990-#<SiL - tears>
    Sb: #52910-SiL

 #: 53575 S2/Bab 5: General
    02-Dec-98  15:41:03
Sb: #53553-#JMS did not reply to me
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Understand: I get several HUNDRED messages a day.  Every day.  Day in
and day out.  Public and private.  I cannot reply to all of them, and there is
no requirement that I must reply to each of them.  If I feel it requires a
response, I do so; if not, I don't.  Complaining about it to the forum is not
the appropriate response.

                                                                    jms

   that he was just asking if he did anything wrong. ]

 #: 53757 S2/Bab 5: General
    03-Dec-98  21:11:09
Sb: #53630-JMS did not reply to me
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Over and done with then.  We move on.

                                                                    jms

   Ghostbusters. ]

 #: 53755 S2/Bab 5: General
    03-Dec-98  21:11:09
Sb: #53595-#Dreaming in Light/Thanks
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...it's sometimes odd for me to consider that a number of folks
have grown up on my work over the years...suddenly I feel old....

      Nonetheless: thank you for the kind words.

                                                                    jms

   action figures and Captain Power figures were in the list. ]

 #: 53819 S2/Bab 5: General
    04-Dec-98  13:42:14
Sb: #53786-#Dreaming in Light/Thanks
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah?  How'd the CP figures come out in the poll?

      (Knew I should've bought some more of them....)

                                                                    jms

 #: 53756 S2/Bab 5: General
    03-Dec-98  21:11:09
Sb: #53614-#About Final Episodes
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...and you're right on all counts.  Additionally, you have to
really decide *Who is the story about?*  You can really only track a couple of
characters to the end...here we tracked a number there or nearly there. This
story is a history -- told from a future perspective -- about the events of
the Babylon station, and those who passed through it, during a specific period
in its history.

                                                                    jms

 #: 53790 S2/Bab 5: General
    04-Dec-98  08:21:08
Sb: #53753-#Babylon 5
Fm: JOE DRAZI

I'm sure your probably aware that Howard Stern is a huge B5 fan. I've always
wanted to ask what you thought of that. I'm sure he brought more fans to the
B5 universe. Have you ever or will  you ever do an interview with him? Has he
ever tried to make contact with you or any of the cast? Of course, he usually
goes for the more notable cast members.

  -Joe Drazi

 #: 53820 S2/Bab 5: General
    04-Dec-98  13:42:14
Sb: #53790-#Babylon 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      We are proud of all our fans.

                                                                    jms

   family members as it is for the drinker himself. And as your
   series showed, there is never an easy solution." ]

 #: 53758 S2/Bab 5: General
    03-Dec-98  21:11:10
Sb: #53728-Garibaldi's Drinking
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...it's a point that can't be made too often.

                                                                    jms

   find a cure? ]

 #: 53964 S2/Bab 5: General
    05-Dec-98  22:11:01
Sb: #53926-#Thank you
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, and for the Crusade question...that's going to have to wait, but
I've found a way to do it, in spades.

                                                                    jms

   blade weapons for the various races and characters? ]

 #: 54330 S2/Bab 5: General
    10-Dec-98  15:42:04
Sb: #54275-B5 Swords?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      We just go for the coolest blades....

                                                                    jms

   B5's time. ]

 #: 54331 S2/Bab 5: General
    10-Dec-98  15:42:04
Sb: #54288-O.C.D in Babylon 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, all that stuff is still there.  We're not going to evolve past all
that in just 200 years, any more than we did from 1799 to 1999.

                                                                    jms

 #: 54347 S2/Bab 5: General
    10-Dec-98  20:42:09
Sb: #level of satisfaction
Fm: JOSEPH SCHIERER

Well, Joe, you got through the five years - you got to tell your story - the
first TV show that reached the quality of a good novel. Even more, a show that
took on additional life thru the forums of CompuServe, and other forums.

We all know you didn't "do it for the money", you did it because you wanted
to.

So, now that it is done - just how big a feeling of satisfaction did it give
you?  with the benefit of hindsite, would you do it all over again?

Joe

 #: 54467 S2/Bab 5: General
    12-Dec-98  18:25:12
Sb: #54347-level of satisfaction
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It's an immense satisfaction to get it all done, and out the door, when
nobody thought it could be done.  Would I do it again?  I don't know...I had
no idea how hard this would be when I got into it.  The only way it got done
was that I didn't know it was impossible at the time.  I think I would,
though.

                                                                    jms

 #: 52461 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    18-Nov-98  20:22:14
Sb: #Objects at Rest
Fm: DOUGP

Joe,

Christopher Franke has done a wonderful job of scoring music to fit so many
powerful moments during these past 5 years.  While the list of my favorite
music tracks would be too long to list, the list of those special moments, the
ones that invoke an emotional response inside me, that tell a special story
without saying a word, would be short.  Tonight I had the pleasure of seeing
and hearing another special moment.  When Sheridan is leaving the Station and
has the White Star match rotations.  That music track made my eyes cloud over
with tears.

I know that you usually will make a notation in the script to Christopher
about a scene i.e.  when Sheridan and Lorien are together and Lorien asks him
"do you have any reason worth living?" you wrote that you told Christopher to
"tear our hearts out".   Did you make any special notes in the script of
Objects at Rest?

Also wanted to let you know that a special, select group of "family" will be
coming together here next week for Sleeping in Light.   Part of me can't wait
to see it while another part of me doesn't want the show to end.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this, for being here all these
years, and for sharing your story with all of us.

Doug Piligian

 #: 52477 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    18-Nov-98  21:39:13
Sb: #52461-#Objects at Rest
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, my instructions to Chris were the same there as for another scene
next week, "break our hearts."  And the two themes are actually pretty much
the same, since they proceed from similar contexts.  That section of "Rest"
just puts me away every time.

                                                                    jms

 #: 52711 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    22-Nov-98  20:25:06
Sb: #52477-#Objects at Rest
Fm: RAY PELZER

I guess I have to ask the obvious qustion.... will that piece from "Objects at
Rest" be available to us on CD?

 #: 52751 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    23-Nov-98  17:31:00
Sb: #52711-#Objects at Rest
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Nothing's been set yet on the next CD.

                                                                    jms

 #: 52931 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    25-Nov-98  22:14:06
Sb: #52906-#<SiL - tears>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, that's the scene that gets me too, every damned time.

      Thanks....

                                                                    jms

 #: 52935 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    25-Nov-98  22:50:00
Sb: #52931-#<SiL - tears>
Fm: JANETCH

Joe,

I am too stunned and moved to say much about SiL (and my eyes and nose are
still red and puffy) but I will ask one question. How did you feel, being the
symbolic "tech" who turned out the lights for the very last time. The
expression on your face was moving and powerful. I could almost hear your
thoughts. Do you recall what was going on in your mind for that scene? Is it
not too personal that you are willing to share it?

Deepest Regards,
Janet Christian

 #: 52944 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    26-Nov-98  00:06:10
Sb: #52935-#<SiL - tears>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It's too hard to put into words...I looked around, knowing that this
could well be it, the last time I'd see this place.  It was just real hard.

                                                                    jms

 #: 52990 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    26-Nov-98  09:08:13
Sb: #52944-#<SiL - tears>
Fm: WIZOP WES MEIER

Joe,

>>  It's too hard to put into words...I looked around, knowing that this could
well be it, the last time I'd see this place.  It was just real hard. <<

I missed recognizing you during the actual show -- too many tears, I suspect
--, but after seeing Janet's message, I rewound the tape and rewatched the
final minute ...

. and I lost it again.

Thank you for Babylon 5, Joe.  It was marvelous and I shall miss it terribly.
Nothing on television today can fill this gaping hole that now exists.

                - Wes

 #: 53031 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    26-Nov-98  13:47:06
Sb: #52990-#<SiL - tears>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...it's hard to let it go, but every book has a back cover.

                                                                    jms

 #: 52910 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    25-Nov-98  21:07:05
Sb: #SiL
Fm: DOUGP

Joe,

You were right about the music from Objects at Rest and the tie in with this
episode, same context, very very moving.

On a personal note, I have been dreading this last episode, not so much
because of the story, but more because of it's being the end of Babylon 5.
Now that I have watched it I must tell you that I don't feel depressed or sad.
Yes, it was a very moving episode but also an uplifting story, and I actually
feel good.  Like I just finished a good book, which of course I have except
that I watched it rather than read it.  I have the tapes and can watch/read it
again whenever I wish (like the Lensmen series).  But for now I'm just going
to sit back and reflect on it, how it may have changed me, how it brought new
friends into my life.  So let me end with, thanks Joe for the great ride.  I
look forward to whatever you have to share with us next.

Doug Piligian

 #: 52930 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    25-Nov-98  22:14:06
Sb: #52910-SiL
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"On a personal note, I have been dreading this last episode, not so much
because of the story, but more because of it's being the end of Babylon 5. Now
that I have watched it I must tell you that I don't feel depressed or sad.
Yes, it was a very moving episode but also an uplifting story, and I actually
feel good.  Like I just finished a good book, which of course I have except
that I watched it rather than read it."

      That's pretty much the reaction that others have had, which is what I
was hoping for...because in a strange way, as much as it's an ending, it's
also about hope and new beginnings and renewal.

      Thanks....

                                                                    jms

 [ Continued in next section -- BB ]