JMS on CompuServe (Feb 09, 1998) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Mon Feb 9 21:32:38 EST 1998

    Sb: #18974-#Story arcs - way fwrd?!
    Sb: #18887-#<tPoA> Piece of Work
    Sb: #18918-#The Paragon of Animals
    Sb: #18917-#Great Acting
    Sb: #18908-More models on the way!

 #: 18974 S2/Bab 5: General
    08-Feb-98  15:59:09
Sb: #Story arcs - way fwrd?!
Fm: SIMON GRIERSON

Hi!

I'm a BIG fan of B5 - and I think the biggest reason it has hooked me is the
Arc underlying every season. There is a PURPOSE to everything we see.

Since B5, I see more and more Sci-Fi TV trying to emulate this style, to
varying degrees. It may not be direct emulation, but it certainly seems odd
that this has happened this way.

For example, Star Trek: DS9 has developed a loose thread about the Dominion.
The X-Files has a few "Arc" episodes here and there - and Dark Skies tried
very hard indeed.

Now we have Earth: Final Conflict.

To me, the latter does it best (out of the other shows - disregarding B5).
Which is surprising since it was Gene Roddenberry's brainchild written some 20
years ago (or so).

I personaly like to have a story that reveals itself bit by bit, week by week
- so that I have an element of story to look forward to. Then particular
"Revealer" episodes go from "Reasonable" to "Must See" status.

B5 started slowly into it's Arc - revealing itself very gradualy - untill
Season 4 when it went full swing.

E:FC goes from the getgo into a full swing Arc - which could be daunting if
you want to establish a look/feel with an audience for a show.

What do others think?

I'd also be interested on opinions of the latter show (If you don't want to
post them in this forum, e-mail them to me).

 #: 19064 S2/Bab 5: General
    08-Feb-98  22:56:02
Sb: #18974-#Story arcs - way fwrd?!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Actually, having seen the original material (I was asked initially if I
would work on E:FC in terms of writing/rewriting the pilot), there wasn't
really a worked out arc on that; this is something you can credit to the other
producers currently working on the show.

                                                                    jms

   piece of work is man." ]

 #: 18999 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    08-Feb-98  18:55:10
Sb: #18887-#<tPoA> Piece of Work
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Shakespeare...Hamlet.

                                                                    jms

 #: 18918 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    08-Feb-98  08:52:11
Sb: #18873-The Paragon of Animals
Fm: SCOTT J. EPSTEIN

<<      Intelligence against whom?  Logically, this would involve in part
keeping tabs on worlds not in the Alliance...and some that *are* in the
Alliance.  If you think the Drazi are up to something, and you have Drazi
telepaths on your team...are they going to cooperate against their own
government?  If you leave them out, won't they find out if they're in the
company of the other teeps on a daily basis?  The covert part also goes out
the door.>>

But if the hypothetical Drazi teeps are Rangers, would they have loyalty to
the Drazi government, or to Entil'zha?

It would seem logical that the Rangers could develop a teep division. They
might not be entirely covert (though they could be--Rangers on the surface,
but not necessarily "out" as teeps).

And are there any telepathic Rangers?

SJE

 #: 19003 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    08-Feb-98  19:11:04
Sb: #18918-#The Paragon of Animals
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"But if the hypothetical Drazi teeps are Rangers, would they have loyalty to
the Drazi government, or to Entil'zha?"

      Maybe they would..one hopes they would...but why take that chance if
you're in Sheridan's shoes, trying to make this thing work?

                                                                    jms

 #: 18917 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    08-Feb-98  08:26:14
Sb: Great Acting
Fm: WILL CARAWAY

Joe,

    Bruce's portrayal of Sheriden imitating Londo was great.  One of the
better pieces of acting I've seen.  I was wondering did he get any pointers
from Peter for that line or has he just picked that up on his own over time?

		Regards,

		Will

 #: 19004 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    08-Feb-98  19:11:05
Sb: #18917-#Great Acting
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      EVERYone does Londo on the set.

                                                                    jms

   model company. ]

 #: 19065 S8/Bab 5 Merchandise
    08-Feb-98  22:56:02
Sb: #18908-More models on the way!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Those models are unlicensed and illegal.  No one has the rights to
produce a White Star, no model company other than Revell/Monogram is licensed
to produce models.  Anyone else is a pirate.