JMS on CompuServe (Jan 11, 1998) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Mon Jan 12 00:39:34 EST 1998

    Sb: #14288-A moment of B5 beauty
    Sb: #14235-101 thru 104 (I think)
    Sb: #14434-Centauri... REPUBLIC??
    Sb: #14379-Airship Package
    Sb: #14438-<In The Beginning>
    Sb: #14418-<Missing Hour?>
    Sb: #14381-Aganemnon/ Shadow Models
    Sb: #14511-Claudia
    Sb: #14487-Good TV Again !
    Sb: #14549-Did I _really_ see...?
    Sb: #14548-Kosh (Spoilers to ITF)
    Sb: #14544-<In The Beginning>

   two seasons, so I'm really enjoying watching all the original
   episodes now on TNT." ]

 #: 14295 S2/Bab 5: General
    09-Jan-98  21:55:07
Sb: #14288-A moment of B5 beauty
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...it's so odd, to in a sense go through it all over again....

                                                                    jms

 #: 14235 S4/Seas. 1-4 SPOILERS
    09-Jan-98  14:44:05
Sb: 101 thru 104 (I think)
Fm: DEONAHA M. CONLIN

Joe,

	Wow.

	NOW I am kicking myself - HARD.

	You see, when The Gathering first aired, it didn't grab me.  So I
didn't watch but in a most half-arsed way, here and there. It took breaking my
arm and being unable to do much more than watch TV to get me hooked.  NOW I am
seeing what I missed.  This is some good stuff!

	Thanks.

Di Conlin, TUS , Wielder of the Lesser Salmon of Discipline
Supreme Dominatrix, RMES, your fearless leader
"Great Maker, huh?  (Wolf 359,  Blackpool, July 1997)
"YOU!  OUT of the gene pool!"

 #: 14296 S4/Seas. 1-4 SPOILERS
    09-Jan-98  21:55:07
Sb: #14235-101 thru 104 (I think)
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It's uneven in places, but yeah, there's some good stuff there amid the
dross.  Thanks.

                                                                    jms

 #: 14452 S2/Bab 5: General
    11-Jan-98  00:34:06
Sb: #14434-Centauri... REPUBLIC??
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Why call the United States a democracy when it's a republic?

      You must understand that there is always some difference between what a
country calls itself, and what it actually is...further, though the Centauri
Republic may have been more of a republic than it is now, it almost certainly
wouldn't change thousands of years of history books just to accommodate a
slight shift in direction.  No matter what form its government takes, it will
always call itself the Centauri Republic, because that's their whole identity,
their history.  We lie to ourselves all the time...that's what most
governments are built on.

                                                                    jms

 #: 14379 S2/Bab 5: General
    10-Jan-98  12:37:05
Sb: Airship Package
Fm: MICHAEL  ZITAGLIO

Hi,

Those Airship Pictures are on their way to you. They should arrive this Friday
or so.  The Two Mug Rugs are yours from Terri.  Enjoy and thanks again for the
hand off.

mike and terri

 #: 14450 S2/Bab 5: General
    11-Jan-98  00:26:05
Sb: #14379-Airship Package
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, much appreciated.

                                                                    jms

 #: 14453 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    11-Jan-98  00:34:07
Sb: #14438-<In The Beginning>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"There was one notable flashback scene that did not make it into the movie, in
which Sinclair rushes Delenn and pulls her hood off.  Also we never saw
Sinclair surrounded by the Grey Council and blasted by the staff.  Given how
"In the Beginning" progressed I'm not sure how those scenes could have fit
in."

      This happened shortly after the events shown.

                                                                    jms

 #: 14418 (C) S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    10-Jan-98  17:42:27
Sb: <Missing Hour?>
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Joe,

    After re-watching "In the Beginning," I have a question about time...

    As the movie ends, Londo tells the guard to give him an hour, and then
bring the prisoners.  Then he views Sheridan and Delenn in their cell (from
WWE, Part 2).  The part he's viewing was just before a commercial break in
that episode, when a confused Sheridan is told that their son is safe and
then Delenn proclaims her love for him, and they kiss.

    My confusion comes from the apparent flow of time in the episode as it
compares to the stated flow of time in the movie.  In WWE, we come back from
the commercial and the two are standing in the same spot, as Sheridan pries
Delenn from him, and begins to tell her why he's so confused.  She goes on to
quickly explain some parts of his life up until then, and he asks about their
son.  Then the guards come to take them away.

    At the time, it really looked as if only a few minutes passed between the
time Delenn was dumped in the cell and they were escorted to see Londo.  But
the movie would seem to indicate that an hour passes.  Even now, re-watching
WWE, I still get the strong impression that they take up after the commercial
break just a minute or less from when they left.  They were still in an
embrace, and Sheridan was still confused.

    Now, if an hour did pass between those two scenes in WWE, and this was
the last time they were together, I can imagine what might've happened in the
cell, but what we saw in WWE just didn't indicate that.  First of all, Delenn
said "...last moment...," which implies just a few minutes at most.
Secondly, they're in the same place, doing the same thing, without clothes or
hair out of place between those two shots...

    So what I'm asking here is, which is correct?  The episode or the movie?
Or can both be correct?  Did Londo call them before the hour was up?  Was he
referring to other prisoners?  [In my best John Travolta voice:] "I'm sooooo
confused!"

Thanks,

  -- Brent

 #: 14451 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    11-Jan-98  00:26:06
Sb: #14418-<Missing Hour?>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      We're really only talking about an hour's distinction here...time is
fluid in dramatic terms.  (How many times have we seen a bomb timer showing 3
minutes, and the process of defusing the bomb takes 15?)

                                                                    jms

 #: 14454 S8/Bab 5 Merchandise
    11-Jan-98  00:34:07
Sb: #14381-Aganemnon/ Shadow Models
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      There are currently no shadow or vorlon ships licensed to anyone; Revell
will likely do them in future, but at this point, anyone out there who sees or
hears of any other models, know that they are pirated kits.

                                                                    jms

 #: 14579 S2/Bab 5: General
    11-Jan-98  19:14:09
Sb: #14511-Claudia
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Check the library...I've answered this question a zillion times, and
some kind souls have archived it all in the library.

                                                                    jms

   when they changed its timeslot.  With DS9 I just didn't feel
   motivated enough." ]

 #: 14580 S2/Bab 5: General
    11-Jan-98  19:14:09
Sb: #14487-Good TV Again !
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      TNT did some market research prior to the launch of B5, and the two
questions they wanted answered were, what does a new viewer need to tune in to
B5, and what do the current viewers need to bring them in to watch again?

      The research told them all the things they had to include, and do, and
say, to get the new viewers...and then when they got to what the current
viewers need:

      "They just need to know when it's on."

      I think that's when they began to sense something rather massive lurking
just beneath the radar nets....

                                                                    jms

 #: 14549 S2/Bab 5: General
    11-Jan-98  15:35:04
Sb: #Did I _really_ see...?
Fm: KEVIN WOOD

Okay, I realise that you've probably been asked this before, but...

We've only just started getting the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series in the UK,
and in the opening credits, there's a shot of someone who looks remarkable
like a Narn. Looks a lot like a very familiar Narn, if I'm to trust the
freeze-frame on my video.

Is this just a figment of my overactive imagination, and a desire to get more
B5, or is there something more to it?

PS - Can't wait for B5 season 5 to arrive in the UK <G>.
PPS - is it true that the BtVS crew whipped the B5 crew at paintball?

 #: 14581 S2/Bab 5: General
    11-Jan-98  19:14:10
Sb: #14549-Did I _really_ see...?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Optic Nerve, the ones who do B5 prosthetics, also do them for Buffy, so
there some understandable similarities from time to time (like when they used
a good chunk of n'grath for one shot).

"PPS - is it true that the BtVS crew whipped the B5 crew at paintball?"

      Nope.  We beat them.

                                                                    jms

 #: 14582 S4/Seas. 1-4 SPOILERS
    11-Jan-98  19:14:10
Sb: #14548-Kosh (Spoilers to ITF)
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The new Vorlon was Ulkesh, yes...the Kosh thing was meant in a Vorlon
philosophical sense.  They ain't wired up like the rest of us.

                                                                    jms

   Michael York or Michael O'Hare when footage shot for one episode is
   used in another?" ]

 #: 14583 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    11-Jan-98  19:14:10
Sb: #14544-<In The Beginning>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      You just call up their agent and work out an arrangement.