JMS on CompuServe (Jan 30, 1998) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* (2/2)

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Fri Jan 30 20:48:26 EST 1998

 [ Continued from previous section -- BB ]

    Sb: #17110-#Cards/Comic Due Soon
    Sb: #17181-Cards/Comic Due Soon
    Sb: #17212-TNT Shedule & Quick Qs
    Sb: #17241-#TVLNOLM
    Sb: #17238-#<TVLNoLM>
    Sb: #17212-TNT Shedule & Quick Qs
    Sb: #17215-<502: Ummm... Wow.>
    Sb: #17229-TVLNoLM
    Sb: <VLN> Heartbreak Hotel

 #: 17110 S8/Bab 5 Merchandise
    28-Jan-98  07:30:02
Sb: #16681-#Cards/Comic Due Soon
Fm: RAE AUGENSTEIN

>> plus some nice (but not excessive in number) chase cards...real nice. <<

Thank goodness! Any autograph card this time?

>> the first issue of the DC comic Valen miniseries just got into my hands;
should be hitting stores the coming week or so. <<

I am eagerly anticipating that one as well!

BTW, congrats on "No Compromises," and especially the S5 opening credits.
They're my fave of all the seasons.

        Rae ^^^^

 #: 17133 S8/Bab 5 Merchandise
    28-Jan-98  11:35:10
Sb: #17110-#Cards/Comic Due Soon
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, there's a full cast set of autographs.

      I just heard today that all 800 cases of the B5 cards have sold out
before even being shipped, which is the first time that has happened in the
history of the Fleer entertainment division.

                                                                    jms

 #: 17181 S8/Bab 5 Merchandise
    28-Jan-98  19:18:01
Sb: #17133-#Cards/Comic Due Soon
Fm: SCOTT J. EPSTEIN

Joe,

I picked up the comic today (along with my regular purchases). Very gripping.

Will the following parts be shipping weekly or monthly?

SJE

 #: 17192 S8/Bab 5 Merchandise
    28-Jan-98  20:49:04
Sb: #17181-Cards/Comic Due Soon
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Will the following parts be shipping weekly or monthly?"

      I suddenly realized that I don't know...my guess is monthly.

                                                                    jms

 #: 17212 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    28-Jan-98  23:35:12
Sb: TNT Shedule & Quick Qs
Fm: KEVIN KENNEY

The Lurker's Guide and others seem to be misreading the TNT blurb and saying
that the second half of season five is being delayed until the fall.   I read
it and expect the episodes to continue once the NBA playoffs are over on TNT.
The phrase about the new episodes running "into the fall" (INTO not IN) merely
means to me that the new episode slot will remain active, with repeats, into
the fall, and thus we should not expect the episodes to be folded into the
Season 1-4 slot until then.  Can you have someone check and clarify this?

Quickies:
G'Kar's replacement eye: this wasn't because of Andreas starting to have
problems with the contacts, was it?  Its still jarring to see (even on the
stand-up figure) and I'm wondering if it serves more purpose than just for he
and us 'to remember the loss'.

Will Lockley or anyone that stayed loyal to Clark ever answer the question
about what they expected to happen to Clark?  Or was Edgar's description all
we'll get?  Perhaps the answer is too simple to relate: they thought it would
clear up somehow, and just didn't want to get involved themselves...?

As always, thanks,
KpK

 #: 17221 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    29-Jan-98  02:03:14
Sb: #17212-TNT Shedule & Quick Qs
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, the contact omission was kept because of the story and the
character; it'll be dealt with down the line in more detail, but for now,
that's why it's there.

                                                                    jms

 #: 17275 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    29-Jan-98  13:19:06
Sb: #17241-#TVLNOLM
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...like you, I'm fascinated by the relationship between, and the
characterizations of Londo and G'Kar.  Writing those two is the most fun I can
have with my clothes on.

                                                                    jms

 #: 17238 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    29-Jan-98  06:29:08
Sb: #17213-<TVLNoLM>
Fm: SCOTT J. EPSTEIN

Very powerful episode.

I loved Sheridan's five costume/character changes...

Could Delenn have interceded and prevented the Rangers from accepting Lennier?
Obviously, she absolutley *would* not, but could she have?

I also really liked the Vir/Lennier scene.

SJE

 #: 17274 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    29-Jan-98  13:19:06
Sb: #17238-#<TVLNoLM>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...and yes, she could have...but it would have devastated him and
undermined the Ranger structure.

[...]

 #: 17389 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    29-Jan-98  22:57:08
Sb: #17212-TNT Shedule & Quick Qs
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

         No, the delay is only until the playoffs are over, then we're back.

                                                                    jms

 #: 17215 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    29-Jan-98  00:12:07
Sb: <502: Ummm... Wow.>
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Joe,

    Wow.

    Now *that* was a killer episode.  I was stapled to the screen during the
entire thing.  Awesome.

    When the episode opened with Sheridan and Delenn in their quarters, I
asked, "Is this going to be the way every episode of season five starts?" But
then I realized that you use the "wake them up from a sound sleep" tactic a
lot in B5, and if you ever use it with either of them, the other will likely
be around...  :-)

    I'm sure this was coincidence, but I noticed that the Minbari who called
Delenn had a beard like Sheridan... I guess his friends will accuse him of
stylin' like Starkiller... He'll probably claim, "No, no, it's an homage to
Dukhat!  Honest!"

    Well, the Lennier and Delenn issue is certainly not unexpected, but that
didn't lessen the impact and the pain.  I could actually feel the extreme
emotion when Lennier couldn't stand to look at her in the eyes any longer, and
had to get up and walk to the other side of the room.  And then when he pulled
back from her touch... ouch.  That must've really hurt Delenn.  :-(

    But Lennier's "pure love" is certainly nothing of the sort.  He came
within one word of telling Delenn that he was going away to improve himself so
that he would be more desirable and/or attractive to her.  And of course she
knew it.  She'd have to be blind not to.  And that Sheridan knew it was also
not a big surprise.  Anyone who watched them together could see that he cared
for her deeply.

    And on that note, hold the presses!  Delenn finally decided NOT to hide
something from John!  I could see the little gears turning in her head when he
asked her if he had anything to do with Lennier's departure.  And, thank
whatever, she finally decided to do the right thing and come clean with him.

    About time.

    But once his suspicions have been confirmed, he seems to treat her very
uncomfortably, both in MedLab and when Lennier leaves.  I hope that this issue
doesn't affect him in the long run.  Somehow, I don't think it will. But can
Delenn let it go so easily?  He seems to be giving her the room she needs,
while still reminding her of his love.  His attitude at the end almost seemed
to be saying, "I'm glad Lennier's gone now.  It'll be for the best."

    Now, wait a second... Londo knows about John's twenty years?  Just how
common is this knowledge?

    And the sequence of uniforms leads me to strongly believe that we've seen
a couple of future roles for Sheridan.  First of all, you've established that
the Centauri can "see the future" to various degrees.  All of them can see
their own death, and some can even see the future in a more general sense.
That, combined with the sequence of known uniforms, leads me to believe that
you've just shown us that Sheridan will become Ranger One.  And the final
form... white robe and then ball of energy (light) is very Lorien-like.  I'll
have to wait until "Sleeping in Light" to see that one, I suspect...

    The entire G'Kar and Londo story here was powerful.  I've heard someone
say that the storyline was cliche.  I don't buy that.  It really moved me (to
tears) when Londo finally apologized to G'Kar.  The acting here was superb,
and the emotions so real to me, as a viewer from the beginning. G'Kar's smile
at the end leads me to believe that maybe he really does have a small
connection left to Londo's mind.  It would explain a lot.

    And JOE!  How dare you show male sexual organs on prime time TV!  Well, I
guess this is cable... ;-)

    And correct me if I'm wrong, but I sensed a desire on your part to leave
us asking exactly what will become of Delenn's feelings toward Lennier.  The
way she couldn't keep from looking back at him as Sheridan escorted her away
was very sad... We're pretty sure that Delenn will not leave John during his
life, but this episode shook up that calm just enough that I think we'll all
wonder a little...

    In case I haven't made myself clear, Joe, I really liked this episode.
Boy, when you say that the first episode is just to get the new viewers up to
speed, and then you take off in the second, you ain't kiddin', are ya?
Congratulations to all for a fine work of art.

  -- Brent

 #: 17390 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    29-Jan-98  22:57:09
Sb: #17215-<502: Ummm... Wow.>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Boy, when you say that the first episode is just to get the new viewers up to
speed, and then you take off in the second, you ain't kiddin', are ya?"

      Rangers never bluff.

                                                                    jms

 #: 17273 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    29-Jan-98  13:19:05
Sb: #17229-TVLNoLM
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks....

                                                                    jms

 #: 17395 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    29-Jan-98  23:12:04
Sb: <VLN> Heartbreak Hotel
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  It's a somewhat off-format for us, and those are always fun and
nervous-making.  I'm really glad it worked out.